Weight of Fiberglass - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2020, 03:04 PM   #1

Name: Ben
Trailer: Boler '71
Iowa
Weight of Fiberglass

I am looking to repair a 1971 Boler. It has several small cracks but no structural damage.

What type of fiberglass should I get? Seems like chopped strand matt is what is used but what weight would be recommended for something like this?

Is there a putty I should use?

Any other tips?

Is there a buy list or good instructions for something like this? I've watched a lot of youtube videos but something more concrete may help me make sure I don't make any mistakes.

Thank you for any support, I'm new to this world but we are super excited for a summer project. I'll share pics as I make progress with your help.
bstrever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:34 PM   #2

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Are the cracks all the way through the fiberglass or is it just limited to the gel coat?
Old 05-28-2020, 01:47 AM   #3

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
The trailer is not made with chopped mat. It is made by spraying chopped fibers mixed with resin into the mold with a gun. You can use fiberglass cloth for repairs, that is what I did. But I put the reinforcing cloth on the inside of the shell, not on the exterior. There are other methods of dealing with cracks and there exist a very long thread in this forum on making fiberglass repairs.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 11:43 AM   #4

Name: Nicolas
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Almonte, Ontario
If you are looking for a very handy handbook for doing the repairs on your fibreglass shell, I would recommend visiting West Systems’ website

https://www.westsystem.com/instruction-2/

and in their resources section is a list of online handbooks and the one that I have used over the many years that I have done my fibreglassing is

Fiberglass Boat Repair & Maintenance (Available in Print or free PDF).
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 12:02 PM   #5

Name: MJ
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstrever View Post
I am looking to repair a 1971 Boler. It has several small cracks but no structural damage.

What type of fiberglass should I get? Seems like chopped strand matt is what is used but what weight would be recommended for something like this?

Is there a putty I should use?

Any other tips?

Is there a buy list or good instructions for something like this? I've watched a lot of youtube videos but something more concrete may help me make sure I don't make any mistakes.

Thank you for any support, I'm new to this world but we are super excited for a summer project. I'll share pics as I make progress with your help.

Hey there Ben,

As mentioned, there is a very helpful and encouraging thread to help true beginners feel confident about FG repairs on small trailers. Try looking up “You can do fiberglass repairs”, posted by Dave White. The “wheels came off” about ½ way through the thread, but Dave W. shared a lot of useful, and very straightforward info before he stopped posting. It is a great starting point. Hope it is helpful.
gtblue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight