What are some of the best cheap mods you've done? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2020, 11:36 AM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
What are some of the best cheap mods you've done?

For all the time and money we put into this obsession, er hobby, I often find that it's inexpensive little modifications and add-ons that I get really excited about. I mean, everybody likes a bargain, right? So, I'm interested in what other folks have done that was both inexpensive and satisfying.

Here's one of my latest. I am in the habit of occasionally filling a plastic mop-bucket from the gray tank and "dispersing" it when we are boondocking.

(And, yes, customs and regulations vary on this practice from place to place. We don't use the black tank, we limit the drains to handling water, dish soap and toothpaste, we use some Happier Camper in the gray tank, and we don't let the "soup" age long.)

In any event, I found that the water would splash about quite a bit as I drained the gray tank into the bucket with the 3-inch sewer cap removed. The LaSalle Bristol cap supplied with the trailer was also always something of a booger to remove; it fit tightly and had very little "handle" to grip. It was so bad that I had even considered building a wooden wrench for it.

Enter the life-changing innovation of the Camco 39463! It has a much better fit, goes on and comes off with much less torque, and also has a better "handle" molded into the surface than the Bristol has. It really doesn't get much better than this folks. But wait, there's more; it has a small port at the bottom with a garden hose thread!

This little gem, combined with a short bit of old garden hose, serves to keep the raging gray waters nicely under control. It may even be that a longer, dedicated dark-gray garden hose served to keep an unused campsite fire pit safely wetted down earlier this week.

So, how about it? What are some of the inexpensive little things that have made your trailering experience better?
Attached Thumbnails
Camco 39463 Sewer Cap.jpg  

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 12:04 PM   #2

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Shelving for the Closet in my Boler. Cost me about $10 on sale at Home Depot:
Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpeg
Views:	58
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	136443
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 12:31 PM   #3

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
My Scamp mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
For all the time and money we put into this obsession, er hobby, I often find that it's inexpensive little modifications and add-ons that I really feel good about. So, I'm interested in what have other folks done that was cheap and satisfying.
You can find 60 ways to spend your money at:
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...lbums2282.html
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 01:48 PM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I did these years ago and they've all worked well.

-combination paper rack, flashlight holder, bottle opener, and the knobs hold a plastic bag for garbage.

- I removed the rear dinette and used plywood to make the rear bed permanent. Cleats underneath to stop it from sliding and a strip in front to stiffen.

- I took the rear dinette and cut it down to make a larger front table. I used the standard RV pedestal that came with the trailer and added a base to make it moveable.

Total cost about $20 for the plywood, knobs, and bottle opener.

Name:	_20200731_150344.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	136445Click image for larger version

Name:	_20200731_153428.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	136446Click image for larger version

Name:	_20200731_153450.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	136447Click image for larger version

Name:	_20200731_153212.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	136448
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 02:34 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Just a couple of mods and upgrades I've done to my Casita...

ELECTRICAL AND APPLIANCE UPGRADES:
Battery Cut-off Switch
15 Amp/30Amp Shore Power Adapter
50 Amp/30 Amp Shore Power Adapter
AC Voltage Meter, Plug-in
12 VDC Permanently Mounted Voltmeter
Marinco 120 VAC 30 Amp Marine Twist-lock Shore Power Receptacle
4 ft. Trailer Coiled “Break-away” switch w/clip & ring
Refrigerator Control Panel Button Guard
Refrigerator Hinge Saver Plates, (2 Ea.)
Dometic D21-SEC (50216) Flush-mount 2 Burner Cooktop with igniters
Micro-Air Easy Start for Air Conditioner
Progressive Dynamics PD 4645, 45 Amp 4-Stage Converter w/Charge Wizard
Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C E, Hard-wired EMS, w/Remote Readout
King RV Antenna, VQ4900, Digital HD Sat. TV Antenna w/controller
Samsung 19” Digital Color TV
Jensen JDVD 1500, AM/FM/CD/DVD/Bluetooth Stereo Radio
Dual Electronics Transparent Marine Radio Waterproof Housing
AM/FM Rubber Ducky Marine Radio Antenna
Polk Audio Atrium 4 Weatherproof Stereo Speakers
LED Interior Replacement Lamps for Fixtures
3-Way Porch Light Kit
Digital Thermostat for Furnace/Air Conditioner and Control Relay Upgrade
LED Rear (3rd Light) Brake/Directional Light Bar
4-Pin Flat Lead Trailer Light Connector, (For rear Trailer Receiver Hitch)
120 VAC Duplex Receptacle in Closet

STRUCTURAL, CHASSIS AND RUNNING GEAR:
“Stow-Away” Brand Roto-Molded Hitch Mounted Storage Box
Upgraded 15” Good Year Endurance Load Range E Tires and Rims
Steel Water Heater Spring-Loaded Cover Latch Assy.
Molded Shelving Kit for Front Closet
OMW Casita Shock Absorber Kit
EDWIN RV Entry Door Window
Custom Window Screen for EDWIN Door Window
Extruded Aluminum Keder Rail slide-in awning track, 7’6” Long
Marti’s Awnings, “Clinton Graphite” Sunbrella fabric 7’6” X 7’6”
Add-A-Drawer Under-table Sliding Drawers (2 Ea.)
Excel Premium Euro Pillow-Top Full Mattress
Peninsula Glass 6” X 10” Porthole Window, Series 1600 (Front of Trailer)
Casita Bathroom Openable Window w/Privacy glass (Galley Window)
Upper & Lower Fridge Vent Bug Screens
Jack-E-Up Trailer Tongue Landing Wheel Removable Mount Bracket
Heavy Duty 3/16” X 3” Steel Square Channel Bumper and 2” Receiver Hitch
BAL Deluxe Scissor Jacks, 24” 7,500 Lb. Rated, (X4), Frame Mounted
Scissor Jack Custom Mounting Plates (LHC) (X4)
Double Entry Step Kit, (LHC)
6” X 11” RV Hatch Door (for Surge Protector Compartment)
Maxx-Air RV Roof Fan Vent Cover
Additional Convenience Light on Left Side, (Over Utilities Hook-up Area)

PLUMBING UPGRADES:
Sea-Land #511 Traveler, Ceramic RV Toilet Assembly
Krowne S/S 12" x 18" X 9" Sink w/6" Gooseneck Spout Faucet - HS-1419
Outside Shower Mixing Valve w/Quick Disconnect Hose Fittings
Gray Water Tank Vent Mod Kit
Hep-Vo Shower Drain Mod Kit
Rhino Sewer Hose and End Fittings

But I'm not done yet...
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 02:52 PM   #6

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Probably the least expensive modification I have made was to install a red LED indicator light on the porch light. Prior to making this mod, we would climb into bed, turn off the lights, then realize the outside light was still illuminated. I would have to get up too shut it off. LED and crimp connectors under $5. Time involved: maybe 30 minutes to mount the LED and make the connections.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 03:11 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Probably the least expensive modification I have made was to install a red LED indicator light on the porch light. Prior to making this mod, we would climb into bed, turn off the lights, then realize the outside light was still illuminated. I would have to get up too shut it off. LED and crimp connectors under $5. Time involved: maybe 30 minutes to mount the LED and make the connections.
I removed the switch on the outside for the "porch light" and gooped in the old switch mounting hole. I moved my switch just inside the door where I can turn it on and off. It also has a built-in red light, so I know when it's on because the switch lights up as well.
Attached Thumbnails
casita1 003 (Medium).JPG   casita1 004 (Medium).JPG  

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 03:20 PM   #8

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
I put a 12V plug on the wire of a small table (bedroom?) lamp and screwed in a standard home size 12V cfl bulb. LED bulbs are now available but the old bulb is still working. It sits on the table and provides a homelike warmth for dining or reading wherever we are.
Lynn Eberhardt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 06:19 PM   #9

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
One of,the best things I did was replace all my bulbs with LED..it uses so much less battery power when I am boo docking.
Another one was getting a hanging shoe rack, filling it with plastic shoe boxes and hanging it in the closet. Each shoe box is labeled and is perfect for small items..like art supplies, first aid, facecloths, socks, spices, ...this little hanging rack has made things so much more tide...easy to find,things. Plus I still have room to hang coat, shirts, etc.
I also replaced my door window with one I got from amazon that has a sliding shade. No more problem having a uncurtained window.
Leej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:34 PM   #10

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
...best cheap mods you've done?

That's a great question.

Maybe my best and cheapest is the string that keeps the door closed and sealed tight, no matter how rough the roads. Seven years ago, I thought it was temporary, but it has grown on me, and has worked perfectly!

I think I posted pictures once.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 06:29 AM   #11

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Two items made from scrap.

One is an adapter, made from luan, some wood scraps and door seal strip, which installs in one of my emergency windows to hold my 5000 BTU window AC unit.

The other is a piece of cord attached to the screen door latch fitted inside a piece of small diameter plastic tube and hole in the door so I can open the door from the inside without opening the slider window.

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...-it-92829.html

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ion-92648.html
Old 08-02-2020, 10:33 AM   #12

Name: Bob
Trailer: Boler 1300
British Columbia
Registry
I was looking for a quick cheap multi use solution for the entrance to my boler so grabbed some steel from my scrap bin and welded up this little multifunction unit. I can hang keys raincoats, hats or whatever and make notes on the section I painted with some chalkboard paint I had kicking around. Just cost me the time, a little bit of welding wire and gas. Works great for us and it looks cool

Name:	keyrack.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	136472
bobdobqb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:52 AM   #13

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita 17 FD
Florida
Best Cheapest Mod

I do not do much in the way of mods, but here is one that must be the cheapest and most useful mod for the cost.

It may only apply to Casitas...I am not sure. But the Casita has the two cabinets above the refrigerator. The one directly above opens by folding down atainst the top of the refrigerator, and the one above it opens up.

This mod costs probably less than a penny. Take a piece of cord or line (I used 50# nylon monofiliament fishing line) about 2.5 ft long (estimating). Tie a slip knot on each end (Google "uniknot" for a good one). Pass the line through a roll of paper towels, and then put the slip knot loops over the cabinet knobs on the top cabinet. You now have a paper towel holder that works very nicely. As an added feature, if you do not have a microwave in the lower so-called microwave cabinet, when you are traveling you open the bottom cabinet door anc close it, and the paper towel roll will then be inside the lower cabinet and not swinging around when you travel.
GatorCasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:25 AM   #14

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
There are probably others, but this was the first to come to mind. I wasn't even looking for it. I was wandering a thrift store looking for something else, and noticed it. Looked brand new. As you can see, it gets a lot of use...

Four hooks for keys or whatever, one giant pouch and two smaller pockets. Made out of canvas.

Name:	Bag.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	339.9 KB
ID:	136487 Click image for larger version

Name:	Bag2.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	287.1 KB
ID:	136488

My old motorhome had a grey water tank cover with the threaded hose attachment. That was really nice.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:22 AM   #15

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
And I guess I can't leave out these two. If you don't count my time and frustration, the fan is about $30, and the lower vent "mod" is free. It's obvious that all my fridge problems come from inadequate venting. My fridge was useless in the high 70's or above before installing that fan, the way it's installed. Before cutting the hole, it just caused turbulence in the upper vent. Now, it pulls hot air straight out.

The lower "mod" I just really started using this year. It's amazing how effective it is. I don't like leaving it open long-term, but during our current high-80s low-90s temps, this has saved my food. Normally I'd be using a cooler by now. It's not perfect, but it's keeping the food cold enough. It slowly creeps up to the high 30s during the day, then I'm in there to make dinner and it'll hover in the low 40s, then recover back to often the high 20s by morning. Good enough for me. So far no bug nests in there.

Name:	IMG_3454.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	136496

Name:	IMG_3453.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	136497
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:34 AM   #16

Trailer: 2007 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
We consider this an essential mod: a cutoff valve to the toilet.
Without it, a problem/leak in the toilet apparatus means you have to shut off ALL water to the rig. With the cutoff, you can isolate the toilet water line and use water everywhere else, plus you can still use the toilet by just dumping water from a jug onto the bowl.

Some trailer makers are making this standard but it was not when we bought ours in 2006 and 2013.
Fran L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:05 PM   #17

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We've done a lot to our Scamp over the Decade of ownership. Most of it is in the following very long thread.

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...6-a-46387.html

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:35 PM   #18
DJD

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Casita
Louisiana
Best cheap mods.

Two of my favorites: #1- I found a cake cooling rack the size of of kitchen sink. I put 1-1/2” bolts with washers (fender washers work best) sticking through it so that I could put vinyl tubing on the bolts that face down. The round heads above the rack do not interfere much with the flat surface and the vinyl coated bolts that go through hold the rack into the sink snugly. You have extra food prep flat surface up top and you can easily run water through the chrome plated wire rack if needed. #2 - I installed a red led just beside the 12v water pump switch and used a simple cabinet door pull to cover the same switch. On dark nights, the switch is easily accessed from the bed in the Casita SD and provides just enough light to access the bathroom. The cabinet door pull protects the 12V water pump Switch from being turned on accidentally (right in front of the sink) and the led lights to remind you when it’s on.
DJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:46 PM   #19

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
I already mentioned the table lamp.
Here's our clothesline.
Attached Thumbnails
Clothesline.JPG  
Lynn Eberhardt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 02:05 PM   #20

Trailer: 2007 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Table redo

We also hated the base of the stock table so we converted ours using one of the medical bedside tables. Used the Escape table top with the sliding mechanism.
We secured the base of the table to the floor using hardware loops and velcro strapping...(not shown in the picture).
Now we have open space under the table! This only works because we never use the table area for a bed.
Attached Thumbnails
P1090464.jpg   P1090452.jpg  

Fran L is offline   Reply With Quote