What is this? Can I patch it? - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-02-2020, 08:45 AM   #1

Name: Ben
Trailer: Boler '71
Iowa
What is this? Can I patch it?

Thanks for any help!

I picked up a 50-year-old boler. My wife and I were sanding it so that we could repaint it. Found this in the back corner, very different than the rest of the body.

Was it patched?

What should I do about it?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4862.jpg  

bstrever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:09 AM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Repair

This is a poor fiber glass repair .you need to grind it all back and do it right .looks like they put body over broken fiber glass. boat repair shop might help or body shop.

MAP 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:10 AM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Black Series HQ19
Smith Valley, Nevada
That looks like the trailer took a hit there that cracked it. Then someone fixed it with Bondo. Bondo is a polyester based putty. It is a filler, and not a glue or a liquid resin. It can't soak into the edges of fractured glass to make a more structurally strong repair.

You might be able to soak it up with resin on the inside and lay a glass cloth patch there, to stiffen it up, if needed.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:09 PM   #4

Name: Ben
Trailer: Boler '71
Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
That looks like the trailer took a hit there that cracked it. Then someone fixed it with Bondo. Bondo is a polyester based putty. It is a filler, and not a glue or a liquid resin. It can't soak into the edges of fractured glass to make a more structurally strong repair.

You might be able to soak it up with resin on the inside and lay a glass cloth patch there, to stiffen it up, if needed.
Thanks for your insight. How would you do this? Any additional instructions or resources?
bstrever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 04:33 PM   #5

Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
If it's a solid repair don't do anything. Just sand it smooth and paint.

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 12:39 AM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: Black Series HQ19
Smith Valley, Nevada
Look inside to see if they backed up the area with a thin soaking resin and a layer of glass. If not, it is probably quite weak there and you could stabilize it before painting to make it better. I'm more familiar with doing epoxy resin and fiberglass, but it is the same process.
Old 06-03-2020, 03:46 AM   #7

Name: K C
Trailer: 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
If is really not that difficult to reinforce the shell from the inside and smooth out the exterior surface, don't let it intimidate you. While it is done with different materials in terms of the emotional stress it is not that much more of a worry and (or required patience) for doing a good job of patching up a hole in the drywall in your house and trying to make the wall come out looking like new.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:46 AM   #8

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Was there any cracking visible in the paint in this area? Any idea how long it was in service after the repairs or being painted>
If there was no evidence if cracking in the paint I would not worry much about it.
Check to see if there is reinforcement on the inside, but if there has been no movement that caused cracking through the paint I would not worry much about it.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:49 AM   #9

Trailer: Miti Lite 1987
I'd scrape clean the edges of the hole, clean the backside, place a nylon flyscreen support patch on the inside, then Bondo the hole and refinish. Repair will outlast you.
Peder_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 05:37 PM   #10

Name: Sammy Joe
Trailer: Planning stage
Florida
Not as bad as it looks to repair. If you can get to the back of it you can fix it structurally inside. Just buy a small fiberglass kit ( Walmart Bondo Fiberglass Resin Repair Kit, 00420, 0.45 Pint Walmart # 550702218 $17.88) just grind the area about
4” past the effected area this will bond the cracked area to the solid glass. It will cure in 15-20 minutes and just sand down the the high spots and your done inside. On the outside you can use a PC-11 a 2 part epoxy adhesive past. This has a working time of 20-25 minutes and cures overnight. Then sand it course first to fine either by hand or oscillating sander. I like this product and use it on my Custom boat Restorations to fill in areas like you do Bondo but it is easily sand-able to contour the shape needed and is totally waterproof and all that’s left is to paint. If your going to paint the outside of your camper I can Help Steer you in the Right direction For The DIY If you like. Just let me know.
Sammy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 08:22 AM   #11

Name: Nicolas
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Almonte, Ontario
Iíve done this kind of job. I agree that you should check the inside and lay on a sheet of fibreglass to reinforce if not already done. Make sure that the inside wall is cleaned and sanded to the fibreglass shell for proper bonding. Depending on the severity of the break that was repaired, you have a few options:
A. Grind to the fibreglass on the exterior and build/repair the break.
B. Grind/sand to get a good clean area around the break of exposed fibreglass and then lay on a layer of fibreglass to bind the whole together. Then sand the patch and blend into the body and repaint.
C. Using the pointy end of a can opener, scrape out the cracks until you get to the fibreglass and V-groove the crack to create a bonding surface. Either using a plastic glue syringe or a small glue paddle, insert mixed fibreglass resin and hardener into the groove to bond the sides together. Once this is done, the shell can be skimmed with fibreglass fairing compound that will act as an extra bonding coat to give extra support to the repair.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 03:59 PM   #12

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
What they said. I use West System epoxy. It is easy to use and not as smelly as polyester.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:11 AM   #13

Name: Adam
Trailer: Scamp
New Hampshire
Everyone is assuming that it hasn't already been patched and reinforced on the inside. Maybe it has been? Also, it looks like that Bondo job was done a long time ago and has held up pretty well. I think if it was me I'd either leave it alone and paint over it. Or I just finished a similar crack repair with white Marine-Tex, which is identical to the West Marine two part epoxy for boat repair. If its uneven I'd maybe skim it with that and sand it down smooth.

AdamNH is offline   Reply With Quote