What size rivets do I need? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2017, 06:26 PM   #1

Name: Naomi
Trailer: Scamp
California
What size rivets do I need?

Hi All,

My boyfriend and I recently bought a 13' 1996 Scamp. It's in great shape but we need to replace the rivets and snap caps. I've read tons of forums (ss vs alum rivets, bolts, etc). I want to use aluminium rivets and get prodec caps. But I can't find information anywhere on what size rivets I need and what size nuts. I don't want to waste money, or potentially damage the shell by working on a trial and error basis.

So can someone please tell me what size rivets I need and how many? Also what size nuts I need and how many?

Thank you all in advance!
EscapePod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:40 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Try here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ist-52225.html

I found it using the Google site search feature ("Search" menu, scroll down to "Site Search/Google" at the bottom). It is a great help finding information on all kinds of repairs and modifications. I searched on "Scamp rivet size" and there were several other threads that might be of interest.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:54 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapePod View Post
Hi All,

My boyfriend and I recently bought a 13' 1996 Scamp. It's in great shape but we need to replace the rivets and snap caps. I've read tons of forums (ss vs alum rivets, bolts, etc). I want to use aluminium rivets and get prodec caps. But I can't find information anywhere on what size rivets I need and what size nuts. I don't want to waste money, or potentially damage the shell by working on a trial and error basis.

So can someone please tell me what size rivets I need and how many? Also what size nuts I need and how many?

Thank you all in advance!
The best approach is to call Scamp, tell them that you want a rivet & cap set for a 13 Standard etc.
They will send you what you need.
After you get this done,If you do thirty minutes work every few years, you will not have to do this project ever again, simply replace only the caps when needed.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:18 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Scamp caps ?

I recently called Scamp to order a set of small caps, or a whole set if necessary. I was told they no longer stock or use the small caps. Parts said to use the large caps for all, meaning change the 'collars' too. Bigger job to change all the bases, or 'collars'. Anyone have a few 'extra ' small caps left over ? ?? ? David in Sonora today
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:23 AM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
... Anyone have a few 'extra ' small caps left over ? ??
Check out Snap-Caps - Screw Caps, Screw Covers | Pro-Dec

As for what size rivet you need.. bottom line is "the size that fits."

While Scamp consistently uses the same sizes for the same locations, they will not hesitate to change it up when needed. In fact, they will even use a bolt once in a while instead of a rivet in a few high stress areas. So go by the guides and the the size of the one you remove, but don't be afraid to go larger (or maybe even smaller) if the hole size or span calls for it. I also found that it can be a good idea to use a washer under the acorn nut at times. It all depends on the dimensions, condition, etc of your rig.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:38 AM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
About the acorn nuts; On our Casita I assume they are for decorative purpose only. And I also assume that they are put on BEFORE the rivet is seated. So in my opinion, if done that way, the pressure caused by the acorn nut could cause the pull piece (the nail like part in the center) to break before the rivet is seated against whatever it is holding, resulting in a loose fit. Opinions ??
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:10 AM   #7

California
That's exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!!!
Old 04-03-2017, 10:15 AM   #8

California
Thank you all for the help! I'll start with the list linked to by Jon in AZ. At least I have a starting point and know what to buy. Hopefully I can work it out and not crack the shell!
Old 04-03-2017, 11:08 AM   #9

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
About the acorn nuts; On our Casita I assume they are for decorative purpose only. And I also assume that they are put on BEFORE the rivet is seated. So in my opinion, if done that way, the pressure caused by the acorn nut could cause the pull piece (the nail like part in the center) to break before the rivet is seated against whatever it is holding, resulting in a loose fit. Opinions ??
They are decorative, but also spread the holding area of the rivet out some. Washers can be used for the same thing but do not look as nice. The rivet swells to fill the acorn nut and that is what is holding. I would use the acorn nut, a washer, or a curtain rod holder or something besides just fiberglass to pull against. The plastic cup is outside doing much the same thing.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:49 PM   #10

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
[QUOTE=Timber Wolf;633945]They are decorative, but also spread the holding area of the rivet out some.

Only spread the holding area if they pull up tight. I've seen some that were not. Maybe a too long rivet was used. Seems as if they could easily be installed wrong.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:25 PM   #11

Name: William
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 16
Washington
Scamp rivets

Having replaced almost every rivet in my 16' Scamp I have some experience. Hardest part was getting my wife to hold the acorn nut on while I wrestled with the rivet gun. It seems like every hole required a different length rivet. I ended up buying a hundred 1.2" aluminum rivets from Amazon. I marked each rivet to the length required and rigged up a gig for punching out the shank, pinching off the excess rivet, and reinstalling the shank for installation. It was a lot of work but satisfied my desire to do it right. I did use a number of stainless steel bolts with locknuts. I drilled out the acorn nuts so they slipped on over the lock nut and kept the look consistent. On the outside I used the off white caps from ProDec. Good product. What's the use of working on a Scamp if you can't obsess over the details?
Bill Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 11:38 PM   #12

Name: John
Trailer: 1991 Ford Dolphin Rv 270 A
California
64 enclosed
jgmoran1367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:29 PM   #13

California
Ok, so I've tried replacing some of the rivets and that is exactly what happened. The acorn nut has locked onto the end of the rivet, but the tip of the rivet shaft snaoped off in the gun. So now I have the rivet sticking out of the roof of my scamp like a big pin. I can use a dremel to cut the excess off, but I figure it probably hasn't pulled the rivet tight enough and it needs to be replaced.

I first tried aluminum rivets with 3/16" diameter and 5/8" grip range with 1/4-20 Acorn Cap Nuts, Stainless Steel 18-8, Standard Height. The tip of the rivet only just stuck out enough to grip the nut, so I then got 1" rivets which stuck through the hole a bit more, but the same problem.

Do I need different nuts? What's going wrong?

Thanks!