I really liked your new floor and the new table. Can you give details about what you used and how you installed it, also cost if you feel like revealing it. thanks
Two boxes (though I really only used 1 1/2) of Ikea Laminate Flooring
(Substitute according to taste and cost)
about $80 total
One roll of underlayment
. I used maybe 1/10 of this.
Some flexible self adhesive tub surround tape
for trim work. Many colors and sizes available.
about 10 bucks
and some trim pieces I can't find on line, including a wood veneer quarter round (about $10 from Lowes) and some aluminum trim (about $10 for two 4 foot lengths from Ikea).
Tools (and other supplies) I used:
Scissors (to cut the tub surrround tape)
Mitre Box (to cut wood trim)
Table Saw (to cut flooring)
Tin Snips (to cut aluminum trim to length)
fine sand paper (to make sure aluminum trim is nice and smooth after cutting it with the tin snips)
construction adhesive (to apply flooring to vertical surfaces and to apply wood trim)
What I did.
1) Pulled out all the old stuff, sanded and patched the floors as needed. Gave two coats of white mildew resistant paint
. (we have this
around from other projects)
2) Cut out underlayment and set it on the floor. One trick, try and lay it out so the natural curve is downward. This will help prevent the underlayment from rolling up.
3) Measured and cut individual flooring pieces to length. I snapped each one in right after I cut it. The flooring I got snaps together. There are a few tricky cuts (like right at the top of the step) but I managed.
4) Cut pieces for vertical part of flooring, including the step up to the dining area and under the kitchen cabinet and applied with construction adhesive.
5) Cut and applied aluminum (using screws) and quarter round (using construction adhesive) trim.
6) Used some flexible self adhesive tub surround tape
for trim around edge of floors. This was easy to apply and can be cut with scissors.
I realize looking at this I may have given the impression that I made no mistakes. I made plenty.
But patience and a few extra pieces of flooring fixed most problems I ran into.