Whats the name of windows that push out on my 1973 Scamp? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Modifications, Alterations and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-20-2021, 09:21 AM   #1

Name: Jessaiah
Trailer: Scamp
Oregon
Whats the name of windows that push out on my 1973 Scamp?

It doesn't seem to be Louvre or Jalousie. Scamp doesnt know.
My old push out windows, the aluminum is starting to go bad, and leaks are occuring.

I was told maybe a machinist can help?
The welder says he doesn't work with aluminum.
Thank you in advance!!
Jessaiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 09:37 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I would go to a marine dealer and ask who they use to repair pontoon boats
If they repair pontoon boats they repair aluminum
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 09:39 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Tilt Outs. This thread might help you, it's 10 years old, so a number of the model numbers for parts may have changed, but it's a start: Window seals & hardware for 76 Scamp tilt out windows

Good luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 10:00 AM   #4

Oregon
Thank you very much!!!
Old 01-20-2021, 11:01 AM   #5

Name: charles
Trailer: scamp 16
Florida
Old windows

You are so lucky to have the awning
type windows.i had an old scamp and it had the hehr windows even in the door.a really deluxe setup .never seen another scamp with them.airstream uses them.
panamachuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:30 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The awning windows I’m familiar with on Scamps were front and rear 3-part windows in which the center section tipped out. AFAIK they were only installed at the factory c. 1976-77 and discontinued due to difficulties getting them to seal adequately on the rounded shell.

A 1973 should have side 2-vane jalousies, front and rear fixed plexiglass, and a narrow “mail slot” or “eyebrow” crank-out window on the door (and sometimes the galley). Of course after almost 5 decades, new windows of a different type may have been installed.

Which are we talking about here? A photo might help.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:36 AM   #7

Oregon
Yes thank you, I feel LUCKY, but just need to get these LEAKS taken care of!!!
Old 01-27-2021, 10:38 AM   #8

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The awning windows I’m familiar with on Scamps were front and rear 3-part windows in which the center section tipped out. AFAIK they were only installed at the factory c. 1976-77 and discontinued due to difficulties getting them to seal adequately on the rounded shell.

A 1973 should have side 2-vane jalousies, front and rear fixed plexiglass, and a narrow “mail slot” or “eyebrow” crank-out window on the door (and sometimes the galley). Of course after almost 5 decades, new windows of a different type may have been installed.

Which are we talking about here? A photo might help.
Thank you so much Jon, you know... maybe its a '76! I always get it confused.... I can add a photo when I have a chance. Sad to hear they were discontinued cuz they didnt seal properly. I did get the bulbous gaskets and am hoping I will be able to seal up these windows good!!
Old 01-27-2021, 01:24 PM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessaiah View Post
Thank you so much Jon, you know... maybe its a '76! I always get it confused.... I can add a photo when I have a chance. Sad to hear they were discontinued cuz they didnt seal properly. I did get the bulbous gaskets and am hoping I will be able to seal up these windows good!!
They're a bit fussier, that's all, which likely led to complaints from customers, and of course they were more expensive than simple plexiglass.

Most RV windows, including these, were designed to mount on a flat surface. I'm assuming the frame had to bend slightly to mount on the Scamp, and as a consequence the gap between the frame and the shell is not even all the way around, creating uneven pressure on the sealant and sometimes leading to small leaks. They had similar problems with the small front bath vent window in later models, so that one is gone now, too.

People that have the rare awning windows seem very happy with the added ventilation they provide. Ours has the rear slider, but the front can get stuffy at night with the door closed. I'd definitely want a gravel guard on the front to break the force of wind-driven rain while towing. That can find its way past seals even if they are fresh and working correctly.

Hope you can get yours going!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:19 PM   #10

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
They're a bit fussier, that's all, which likely led to complaints from customers, and of course they were more expensive than simple plexiglass.

Most RV windows, including these, were designed to mount on a flat surface. I'm assuming the frame had to bend slightly to mount on the Scamp, and as a consequence the gap between the frame and the shell is not even all the way around, creating uneven pressure on the sealant and sometimes leading to small leaks. They had similar problems with the small front bath vent window in later models, so that one is gone now, too.

People that have the rare awning windows seem very happy with the added ventilation they provide. Ours has the rear slider, but the front can get stuffy at night with the door closed. I'd definitely want a gravel guard on the front to break the force of wind-driven rain while towing. That can find its way past seals even if they are fresh and working correctly.

Hope you can get yours going!
Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply.. I will consider all of this as I manuever my way through. Thank you!!!

Tags
scamp, windows