Where to start? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2019, 08:04 PM   #1
CBG

Name: Cheryl
Trailer: scamp
United States
Where to start?

Hubs and I just bought a 16 ft 1979 Scamp. While everything "works" it needs a lot of TLC/clean and fix. Where to start? What to avoid? I suspect our cabinets are all wood and not fiberglass so was planning on leaving them alone. I really want to pull the toilet and bathroom sink and scrub like crazy.

I have been reading and learned some of the lingo--it has elephant skin and not rat fur. I've seen some blogs of people painting the elephant skin. Then I read a thread here that it grows mold underneath. EEk.

Are there "how to tutorials" out there that you recommend?

Do you just scroll through the threads here?

Our first step will be getting it in the garage. Then where to start?

Thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
scamp bed.jpg   scamp dinette.jpg  

CBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:17 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Where to start?

The "Site Search/Google" feature at the bottom of the "Search" menu is the best way to find old threads on a specific topic, much better than the regular seach function.

Where to start? Cleaning first. Then I'd suggest the chassis: check tires, brakes, axle, frame, floor, and running lights. After that, look at the shell. Test for leaks and deal with any you find. Then mechanicals, then cosmetics.

The wood interior in your deluxe has a nice patina, and the trailer appears in great condition. If you don’t find evidence of mold in nooks and crannies as you clean, I don’t think you need to be concerned about the Ensolite.

Enjoy your new trailer!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 07:49 AM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
My two cents. In the three 40+ year old travel trailers that we have owned with ensolite lining (Boler 13, Trillium 4500 and Boler 17), we've rarely found mold behind the ensolite. Only place found was in the Boler 17, along the bottom 2 to 3 inches where the ensolite meets the floor and has separated from, or was never attached to the wall. This occurred where standing water had been present for many years. This problem has been corrected ...
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:41 AM   #4
CBG

United States
awe thanks. this helps a lot. There is some black around some corner seams under the plastic tape. I will spot scrub with tilex and then scrub all with soap and either vinegar or clorox. Getting all the fabric out will help, too. Curtains, cushions and carpet.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:58 AM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Problem is that even if there is mold, its hard to see mold on the backside of ensolite. This is because the ensolite is black! Its a dense closed cell rubber foam similar to neoprene.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:19 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBG View Post
I will spot scrub with tilex and then scrub all with soap and either vinegar or clorox.

Tilex contains bleach ( chlorine ), Clorox is bleach ( chlorine ). Vinegar is a weak acid.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:39 PM   #7
CBG

United States
helped hubby flip a house with water damage. Then, survived a flood, so I learned a bit about mold (and how much I hate it.) Clorox and vinegar kill around 85% of mold spores. Tilex says on the bottle kills 98%. I like those odds better. Its hard on my breathing, tho, as is clorox. Vinegar is easier on me, clorox smells cleaner--because my nose is trained to smell vinegar and think, "oh, dying easter eggs," and when smelling clorox, to think, "oh, clean." Not sure how much is just my conditioning. Come to think of it, I have the motstat and fogger we used on the house....hum?...could be an ace in the hole if I find more than just a light bit in a corner here or there...
Old 10-16-2019, 08:50 AM   #8

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
New Brunswick
Hi

When I started to fix my Trillium I checked for leaks first . Windows, the door gasket and belly band are known areas for leaks. This site was very helpful in my repairs. Advice from those who have dealt with all sorts of repairs and modifications is available here when you search. I wanted mine to be water tight before I did anything inside. Good luck with your Trailer and Happy camping ! Duane
getaway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:05 PM   #9

Name: Bill
Trailer: Casita
Florida
If you need something to kill mold that isn't harsh on your skin(still wear gloves), doesn't create unbearable fumes, and isn't bad smelling. Try a chemical called Microban. It is a professional product.

I used to do mold redmediation for a living and was certified to do all testing as well. This chemical did wonders in cleaning up mold, bacteria, fungi, mildew ect... And we had the tests to prove it.

Just note, it oftentimes will not change the color stain of the mold or mildew, but the area will be dead. It's not really a cleaner, rather a disinfectant.
CasitaInFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 04:22 PM   #10

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Start with frame, axle (and hubs) and windows. Continue on with any/all penetrations through shell. Then test the propane system before using it.

Electrical depends on wheat is there. I replaced all light fixtures and power center on my 1977 Trillium. Added a battery and detachable power cord.

Unless you know for sure, assume zero maintenance has been done.

When I picked up mine, the tires were 33 years old. I changed them out in the sellers driveway.

I also replaced the foam in all of my cushions and had the zippers replaced (they were crumbling). Fabric was good!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote