Which MaxxAir fan for Lil Bigfoot? - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2021, 10:52 AM   #1

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
CA
Which MaxxAir fan for Lil Bigfoot?

So, in reading thrrough various threads, I'm pretty convinced the MaxxAir is the one for me.

Some initial research on Amazon:
https://tinyurl.com/2tb585xf shows many different models to choose from.

Given that we're Lil over here, I clearly wouldn't need a big blowout... but I'd certainly appreciate any recommendations!

Have any Lil B owners installed one, and how did it go?

Thanks
Old 04-01-2021, 11:28 AM   #2

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
The one with the remote control with variable speeds and direction.
Darwin Maring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 05:02 PM   #3

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Ellpea
Amazon had the Maxxaire 0004500K $221.00 on sale. $145.00 off.
I store my trailer in the garage I could not fit it in the garage with the large cap.
Ceiling at opening is only 1" thick. I had to add 1 1/2" riser for my Comfort air fan ( not made anymore) to fit flush with inside ceiling, I fiber glassed it to the roof of the egg.
I spliced into HOT 12v line in rear ceiling cabinet. Pushed wire into the right rear corner as you face the cabinet.
I don't know how high the Maxxaire housing is that protrudes thru the opening.
Not a lot of Lil Bigfoot owners to answer your questions.

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 05:07 PM   #4

Utah
Ellpea

How big is your opening? mine is 14x14 inches. I looked at what I suggested and it is 12x14 I think.

Later Kenny
Old 04-03-2021, 05:09 PM   #5

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Strong View Post
Ellpea

Not a lot of Lil Bigfoot owners to answer your questions.

Later Kenny
Yes, I appreciate your responses!

Do you have the little rectangular vent in the wall above the stove? Iím also wondering if any of those small computer fans would fit up there. I lifted the door yesterday and was kind of stunned at how much air came through!
Old 04-03-2021, 05:10 PM   #6

CA
Quote:
Ellpea

How big is your opening? mine is 14x14 inches. I looked at what I suggested and it is 12x14 I think.

Later Kenny
I do think mine is only 10 x 10, so will have to measure!
Old 04-03-2021, 05:17 PM   #7

Utah
In the questions answered section. " it fits a 14x14 opening. "
Old 04-03-2021, 05:18 PM   #8

Utah
Can always cut.
Old 04-03-2021, 05:20 PM   #9

CA
Quote:
Can always cut.
Yes, I would not mind some cutting. That vent seems too small, and thereís piles of caulk up top that wouldnít have to be dealt with!
Old 04-03-2021, 05:39 PM   #10

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllPea in CA View Post
Yes, I appreciate your responses!

Do you have the little rectangular vent in the wall above the stove? Iím also wondering if any of those small computer fans would fit up there. I lifted the door yesterday and was kind of stunned at how much air came through!
I have a hood over the stove with a fan and light, it vents out the side.
Old 04-03-2021, 07:09 PM   #11

CA
Quote:
I have a hood over the stove with a fan and light, it vents out the side.
I have the hood and the vent out the side, but no fan
Old 04-04-2021, 11:09 AM   #12

Utah
Small computer fan would be very inadequate. sometimes in the heat we have our Comfort Aire on maximum to suck hot air out. I have 2 computer fans to blow air around in the back of the refrigerator compartment, 12v very low volume. The Maxx on high, I bet would be nice.

Later Kenny
Old 04-04-2021, 11:14 AM   #13

Utah
Ellpea

I misread your comment above. a computer fan above stove would work.
Old 04-04-2021, 11:16 AM   #14

CA
Quote:
Small computer fan would be very inadequate. sometimes in the heat we have our Comfort Aire on maximum to suck hot air out. I have 2 computer fans to blow air around in the back of the refrigerator compartment, 12v very low volume. The Maxx on high, I bet would be nice.

Later Kenny
True, I wouldn't expect a computer fan to replace the Maxx. I was just wondering what could go there, since I don't have a fan above the stove.

I'm still wondering what those fans look like, and whether I could get something in there.
Old 04-04-2021, 02:53 PM   #15

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Check the computer fan. Some move as much as 300cfm. A Maxxfan on the highest setting is something like 900 cfm. So a computer fan could mimic a Maxxfan on one of its lower settings. Not ideal, but still moves air. And if you have a 9x9 vent like my Trillium, a Maxxfan will not fit.

In our Escape, we rarely run our Maxxfan above about 25%, so I doubt it is moving more than the computer fan I put on my Trillium. Now some computer fans only move about 100 cfm. Realize air movement is all about speed and the diameter of the fan blade. A computer fan with a 6 inch fan blade is at serious disadvantage.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:27 AM   #16

Name: Craig
Trailer: Bigfoot 25ft & 13ft Lil Bigfoot
British Columbia
MaxxAir Installed

We installed a MaxxAir in our daughter's 1989 Lil Bigfoot shortly after we bought it 3 years ago. Works great, cools the trailer down in minutes. Retro fit right into the existing hole, no cutting necessary. For power I managed to fish wire under the headliner from the light fixture in the overhead cabinet in the front of the trailer. Rear overhead cabinet was closer but couldn't manage to get the thru so tried from the front. Ended up being a very clean install with no wires showing so looks like an original install. Just be cautious the roof is not strong, two of us worked from each side off ladders I placed a few pieces of plywood on the roof to have something to lean on but disperse the weight a little. Craig
Bigfoot 0995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 07:30 PM   #17

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot 0995 View Post
We installed a MaxxAir in our daughter's 1989 Lil Bigfoot shortly after we bought it 3 years ago. Works great, cools the trailer down in minutes. Retro fit right into the existing hole, no cutting necessary. For power I managed to fish wire under the headliner from the light fixture in the overhead cabinet in the front of the trailer. Rear overhead cabinet was closer but couldn't manage to get the thru so tried from the front. Ended up being a very clean install with no wires showing so looks like an original install. Just be cautious the roof is not strong, two of us worked from each side off ladders I placed a few pieces of plywood on the roof to have something to lean on but disperse the weight a little. Craig
Greg, Iím really hoping I can have this done without the wires showing, as you have done. Unfortunately, I canít do this myself. Iíll have to take it to a trailer repair place to have it installed. Iím really thinking my vent space is too small for the fan, and that some of the fiberglass will have to be cut away. What size was the vent you removed?
Old 04-08-2021, 11:29 PM   #18

Name: Craig
Trailer: Bigfoot 25ft & 13ft Lil Bigfoot
British Columbia
14x14

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllPea in CA View Post
Greg, Iím really hoping I can have this done without the wires showing, as you have done. Unfortunately, I canít do this myself. Iíll have to take it to a trailer repair place to have it installed. Iím really thinking my vent space is too small for the fan, and that some of the fiberglass will have to be cut away. What size was the vent you removed?
Opening for roof vent is common 14x14, we did not have to enlarge the opening at all. The collar on the trim bezel was to deep/tall probably to fit a typical wood or aluminum framed RV so just had to cut it down a bit. Overall the Max unit is taller than the original vent so sits a bit higher on the roof.
Bigfoot 0995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 06:04 AM   #19

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Measure it. Most trailer vents are a common size: 14 inch by 14 inch. Some are a rare size 9 inch by 9 inch. The vent in my Trillium 1300 is 9 inch by 9 inch. And the bathroom vent in my 2013 Escape is also 9 by 9.

All the common powered fans are designed for the 14x14 size.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot