Who has "replaced the water heater with a outdoor camp shower unit? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Modifications, Alterations and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-21-2013, 03:21 PM   #1

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
Who has "replaced the water heater with a outdoor camp shower unit?

I am looking into doing more boon docking and taking a 55 gal barrel of water with us. I am looking at a 12 volt or even a 110 volt water pump (have a Yamaha Gen) but like another source of how water like the instant camp shower hot water units sold. They are powered by propane but I was thinking since I have the generator why not just use a 110 volt ele water heater? Has anyone done this yet and if so what is your set up? I could just run a camp shower with propane for heat but since I have the generator and I will be using anyway why not a ele water heater?
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Ariston makes a small 6 Gal 120 VAC water heater , The heater is well insulated with foam . We used one at our deer hunting shack ,seemed to work well for dish washing or a short shower
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:40 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Just remember to calculate that 450 lbs into your carrying capacity. As to the water heater, my 6 gallon Suburban draws around 12 amps @ 120V which is most of the capacity of a 2k generator. Mine usually runs for about 45 minutes before shutting off. It will hold the heat overnight if it isn't too cold out.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #4

Florida
I know I installed a 6 gal WH in my house bedroom for hot water running on 110 volt and I liked very well.
I also plan on hauling a 55 gal barrel (drum) with water while boon docking but want to heat the water for showers or what ever. Since I will be running a Yamaha 2000 watt Gen I thought why not just use a ele 6 gal water heater than propane.
I was looking at a camp shower propane WH but since I am already running a gen why use propane.
I know I can take a shower on a ele 6 gal WH with no problem so why bring another propane tank. Am I missing something here? I will be taking a 55 gal water barrel (drum) anyway so the water weight will still be the same.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
It should work, but...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnKK View Post
Am I missing something here?
  • Efficiency - the generator is less efficient than a propane heater, so the amount of gas (by weight and cost) you'll burn in the generator will be likely be greater than the amount of propane you would burn in the heater
  • Noise
  • Generator wear / maintenance
Your call, but those are a few factors to consider.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:44 PM   #6

Florida
Since I would be running the gen any way why not use it for the WH.
A Yamaha gen is low noise and if I am using it already there will be no more noise.
Has far has wear goes it s a Yamaha.
This post was for people who already did the swap or add on. I know propane is cheaper but if you running on a generator why not use it for a WH too?
Old 08-21-2013, 08:48 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Am I the only one here that was a backpacker and filled a black jug with water to warm in the sun? When the water ran out... you were done! It only took one or two showers to figure out "shut the dang water off" when you soaped up....

This is really a simplistic explanation. But it's really about your needs and maybe you need that 55 gal drum of water....

IMHO, keeping items that go into my mouth (when boondocking) CLEAN is more important than my body.

As is said in "deer camp" everyone starts to smell the same after 3 days
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Red face

Quote:
I was thinking since I have the generator why not just use a 110 volt ele water heater? Has anyone done this yet and if so what is your set up?
I think your answer here is "no".
Old 08-21-2013, 09:10 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Am I the only one here that was a backpacker and filled a black jug with water to warm in the sun? When the water ran out... you were done! It only took one or two showers to figure out "shut the dang water off" when you soaped up....

This is really a simplistic explanation. But it's really about your needs and maybe you need that 55 gal drum of water....

IMHO, keeping items that go into my mouth (when boondocking) CLEAN is more important than my body.

As is said in "deer camp" everyone starts to smell the same after 3 days

Backpacker yes!! I use a solar shower, black vinyl bag with a clear window. 2.5 gallons, enough water for two of us to have a shower. You gotta be careful, in direct sun for too long and the water is hot enough to burn. But the price is right.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:25 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
This post was for people who already did the swap or add on.
Shawn, you asked a question and I answered. I didn't know there were qualifications required of those permitted to answer. I'll stop responding, and I assume everyone else should, too.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:35 AM   #11

Name: Rob
Trailer: U Haul CT 13
Florida
I bought an Eccoterm 5L off of Amazon based on its reviews. I am in the process of welding a post to my U-Haul Trailer Tongue which I will mount my propane tank on one side and Propane Heater on the other. The heater will provide hot water to the sink and the newly added outdoor shower. I have not actually used the heater yet but am anxious to see how my project turns out.

I

rockead rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:51 AM   #12

Florida
Rob, Me like! Are you going to leave the heater on your egg or will you store it when not in use?
So will this replace your water heater in your unit or? I like the outdoor shower and I might try to do the same as you did with the outdoor shower. Please send more pics when you have time. Thanks a lot.
I like the hook up for your ele. I need to do the same to keep out the ants.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:54 AM   #13

Florida
Rob, have you thought of putting some kind of shower curtain with your shower? I was reading reviews on the stand alone units that look like small tents but I was thinking of making something to hang off the egg to use as a shower curtain. Love to hear how others set up their eggs.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:12 AM   #14

Name: Rob
Trailer: U Haul CT 13
Florida
Quote:
Rob, Me like! Are you going to leave the heater on your egg or will you store it when not in use?
So will this replace your water heater in your unit or? I like the outdoor shower and I might try to do the same as you did with the outdoor shower. Please send more pics when you have time. Thanks a lot.
I like the hook up for your ele. I need to do the same to keep out the ants.
The water heater will be stored when not in use. The construction of the heater allows for easy mounting on a screw since it's considered portable. I will only hang it when I get to the campsite and remove it before going back home. I will post more when I weld my new tank / heater post. In answering your subsequent post, I already purchased a privacy tent from Walmart. It has two sides, one side will be used for showering, the other for the toilet. I'm looking forward to camping this year stating in October.

rockead rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:24 AM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Shawn, you asked a question and I answered. I didn't know there were qualifications required of those permitted to answer. I'll stop responding, and I assume everyone else should, too.
Sometimes people are merely looking for someone to agree with them, not really seeking guidance. True of most forums I subscribe to. A human foible, I fear.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:32 AM   #16

Florida
A 2 room. Now that is kool. One room to shower in and the other to change and or use the crapper. Great stuff you have going on there. I am trying to gear up for cooler weather, too hot to do much camping here now. We were talking about that last weekend. Florida is too D@m hot in the summer time.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:18 PM   #17

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockead rob View Post
I bought an Eccoterm 5L off of Amazon based on its reviews. I am in the process of welding a post to my U-Haul Trailer Tongue which I will mount my propane tank on one side and Propane Heater on the other. The heater will provide hot water to the sink and the newly added outdoor shower. I have not actually used the heater yet but am anxious to see how my project turns out.
Me too! This looks do-able for my Compact Jr. rebuild. Like you I plan to carry it disconnected in storage on the road, and set it up at the campsite.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #18

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 1977 13-foot Scamp
Washington
I've been using an Eccotemp 5L instant hot water heater mounted on the tongue of my 1977 13-foot Scamp for over a year now. It works great!

The inspiration was when I went to the vintage trailer rally at Roslyn, WA last year. There are no shower facilities at the city park where we camp. I had to carry a 5 gallon bucket of water from one end of the field to the middle where my trailer was. I heated the water on the stove for a sponge bath. This year I was better prepared.

I have a 6 gallon Igloo brand tank that is secured to an aluminum hand truck I bought at Office Depot for around $45. It is rated at 250 lbs. It carries 48 lbs. of water across the field easily. I was again in the middle of the field this year.

On the back side of the square steel tubing I bolted to the tongue of the trailer I have a 12 volt Flojet pump that I bought at Camping World. I believe it is Model 3526-144.

The hot water then goes into the city water inlet. Inside I put a tee fitting so water can go up to the sink faucet or straight to a ball valve with a 1/2" NPT pipe on it where I can attach the shower wand.

I stand in a 28-inch diameter plastic pan that is made to go under a hot water heater tank. It is only 2.5-inches deep. I can rinse off without a shower curtain by crouching down and carefully keeping the wand close to my body. I may have a little puddle or light spray around the pan but most of it stays in the pan.

I've been letting the water run out of the pan onto the grass or into a 12 gallon gray water tote just outside the door. To get the water to drain I have to lift the side of the pan opposite the drain tube to get the water to flow out the door.

After showering two nights last weekend in the trailer I went to a Coastal Farm and Ranch Supply store 2 miles from home and bought a 40 gallon oval plastic tub to replace the hot water heater drain pan. It will work so much better than the shallow pan I've been using.

The 40 gallon tub is 39 inches long by 29 inches wide by 13 inches high. It literally is a bath tub. I definitely won't need a shower curtain with this. I will be able to sit inside it and rinse the upper body. I will then stand up and rinse the lower half.

Tomorrow I will assemble a 1/2-inch pvc pipe which will connect to a 12 volt marine bilge pump so I can pump water out of the bath tub up into the sink where it will flow into the 21 gallon gray water tank under my Scamp. I bought that gray water tank from Scamp. It is the one they use.

Because the hot water has to go through a 10-foot hose to the city water inlet, I go through a lot of cold water before it gets hot. I do get steaming hot water eventually. I it really speeds up washing the few dishes I used in preparing a meal.

This winter I will move the mounting for the hot water tank to a hitch-like receiver just ahead of the refrigerator vents. The 12 volt pump will be mounted inside under the front bench by the refrigerator with fittings alongside the heater mount. A much shorter hose to the city water inlet should work better.

This is the only time I've had to use the 12 volt water pump. Normally I have water hook ups but not always sewer.

I'm going out this weekend and will try the bigger tub. I will post an update on how that works with photos. I also found the perfect plastic tote at Lowe's for the putting the hot water heater in and all hoses during transport. I do not leave the hot water heater mounted on the trailer when traveling.

It is very comforting to know I can have a refreshing shower anywhere I can get water. I'm looking forward to some day getting water out of a lake or stream if I have to.

The attached pictures show park in Roslyn, WA where we camped. The last picture shows the actual water flow with the 12 volt pump.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9665a.jpg   IMG_9730a.jpg  

IMG_9731a.jpg   IMG_9732a.jpg  

IMG_8168a.jpg  
Jeff Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:19 PM   #19

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
Nice! I am a little simpler. I have a Zodi Extreme. With a shower tent, I'm set.
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #20

Florida
Rob, I just found this great ideal for you in your outhouse.
Attached Images