Wider bed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2015, 05:37 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Wider bed

Still working on possibilities. Has anyone widened the bed in a 16'?
mgbbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:01 PM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
If you want to check the possibilities, try sleeping in a twin bed. A twin bed is about 5 inches narrower than a standard Scamp. (Note Scamps are available with 54 inch wide beds.)

Ginny and I bought a partially furnished home and it came with a twin bed. We slept in it for two weeks and were very happy.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:58 PM   #3

54" would be a big improvement.
mgbbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:03 AM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgbbob View Post
54" would be a big improvement.
That's why we ended up getting a Casita. Our Scamp 13's bed was just too tight for a good night's sleep.
Marsha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:24 AM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
A thread you might find interesting. Raz

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...bed-67977.html
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:16 AM   #6

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
No, but I have given the topic a lot of thought. In the end I decided with the water heater and refrigerator cuts through the shell in the way it was just not worth it (to me). I would go buy a Parkliner or even an Escape 19 (if my ship came in) beofre I would do that much mod to the Scamp. I have however thought of the "T" option several here have done to extend the bed out into the hall and turn so you are sleeping front to back instead of side to side. You might knock knees and toes but maybe not elbows with your bunkee.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:49 AM   #7

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
Timber said...

"You might knock knees and toes but maybe not elbows with your bunkee."

not in my experience...what you end up with is a "V-berth" like in a boat...except the access is from the narrow end.....(I like the "T-berth" handle...I'll use it...)

about the knees and toes issue....compared to a V-berth the T-berth is vastly superior in that regard...(no "foot fights" common with V-berths in boats)

the T-berth works quite well space/comfort wise....now, how much "trouble" it is to stow and deploy is up to the individual and how he/she devises/designs the thing...

My T-berth is six feet wide at the head end, for the first 42"....after that it's 40" wide the rest of the way (the last little bit is 6" narrower, where the bathroom wall starts)
it uses the dinette table...I liked the extra space forward when the bed was made up... so I later devised a way to stow the table against the forward bulkhead whenever I choose
Attached Thumbnails
adoneja.jpg   adonei.jpg  

bedsto4.jpg   adonejbb.jpg  

Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:23 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Scamp has ... Buy a Deluxe!
Also...
Here's the bed in my 13D... in the "King" configuration it is 78" wide and 78" long!
Attached Thumbnails
kingbed 3.JPG   kingbed4.JPG  

DSCF0090.JPG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:19 PM   #9

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
We have a 13' Scamp. We just gutted it and have a wide open design field. We are considering placing a double bed size bed/couch along the driver's side from the rear along the side into what was the kitchen area. The kitchen will go on the driver's side and across the front, leaving a seat at the door. On the passenger side there will be a low cabinet from the rear to the door. We plan to install "beams" to provide support the ceiling and walls from where the closet was located up each wall and across the ceiling and also at the door.

Has anyone done this?

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
bobkatr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 12:49 AM   #10

You DO NOT have to buy a more expensive "Deluxe" to get a wider bed in a 13' Scamp now. As seen at Piney this past year, they've made some new molds obviously and now offer a 54" bed in a Standard model that will save big $$.

I've considered the "King" mode in mine Scamp as well. Floyd, do you have a special frame built to handle the weight in the aisle? What did you do for the cushions?

I've seen your roll-up bed but never in the "king" mode as you call it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Scamp has ... Buy a Deluxe!
Also...
Here's the bed in my 13D... in the "King" configuration it is 78" wide and 78" long!
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:14 AM   #11

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
California
Wider bed in a 16' side dinette

I have been playing around with an idea for widening the sleeping area in my 16'.
First of all in my case I would be happy with a 6" inches more width at my pillow end.

If I remember right there are about 6 rivets from the outside holding the vertical rib between the dinette seat and the bed.

There are two rivets on the top side of the dinette seat fastening it to the rib, a few more on the bottom of the seat holding it to the raised floor and a few on the side.

Relocating the rivet holes in the trailer shell 6" towards the front allows moving the rib forward. This could be done by new holes or 6" straps.

The major loss would be a narrower seat on that side.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-28-2015, 05:04 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
You DO NOT have to buy a more expensive "Deluxe" to get a wider bed in a 13' Scamp now. As seen at Piney this past year, they've made some new molds obviously and now offer a 54" bed in a Standard model that will save big $$.

I've considered the "King" mode in mine Scamp as well. Floyd, do you have a special frame built to handle the weight in the aisle? What did you do for the cushions?

I've seen your roll-up bed but never in the "king" mode as you call it.
Ahh... but the OP was asking about a 16 which would require the purchase of a Deluxe to get the 54" bed.

The "King" mode is simply the original table (with a shortened leg) installed in place of the pedestal table when making the bed. Then I simply use the bridge cushion to fill in the additional space created.
Works great!

As for saving "big" money..... The value is certainly there, and part of the additional cost is absorbed by more included features.

The new Standard front bath is nice, I have owned both, and I still believe the Deluxe is worth every single cent of the difference.
Seriously...I would NOT trade my 2004 Deluxe (with seventy thousand towed miles) for a brand new 2015 Standard.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:10 AM   #13

Registry
Hey MgbBob
I have just put in a 60" wide bed in a Trillium 13. See Queen Bed in Trillium13 a few pages below your post. I am still working on the trim, but I am very happy with how it is coming.
Doug

Doug L
Old 03-01-2015, 12:20 PM   #14

Registry
Here is a queen bed in a 13Scamp...
Attached Thumbnails
May 2009 021.jpg   May 2009 023.jpg  

Old 03-01-2015, 02:26 PM   #15

Registry
Hey Floyd nice work. looks like we have done the bed expansion in a very similar way: cutting away the lower part of the closet and part of the kitchen.

Doug L
Old 03-01-2015, 10:01 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleverton View Post
Hey Floyd nice work. looks like we have done the bed expansion in a very similar way: cutting away the lower part of the closet and part of the kitchen.

Doug L
Thank you for the kind words.Your work is very nice!
I often wish that I could work without the time and budget constraints that I need in order to offer solid value at the lowest possible price.
I the case of the project pictured I started with just a shell, the furniture is painted pine and the kitchen is SMEV.
Attached Thumbnails
May 2009 018.jpg   May 2009 008.jpg  

May 2009 022.jpg  
Old 03-29-2015, 11:04 AM   #17

Name: Doug
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16, 2011 RAV4 V6
California
T-Berth

The bed in our 2014 Scamp 16' Layout 4 proved to be a problem for my wife and me. I have to get up frequently at night and she couldn't sleep in the back with the rounded corners - too claustrophobic. I tried doing acrobats to climb over her but that didn't work so I ended up sleeping in front on the couch. We didn't like that so I finally did a modification I'd thought of since we got the trailer. I built a table extension to go into the hallway to convert the bed to a T-Berth so we could sleep with our heads toward the back of the trailer. It worked great but the openings between the tabletop and seats presented a problem. Our butts ended up in depressions. So, yesterday I built a Rube Goldberg apparatus to eliminate the voids. It folds up when not in use and stores on top of the water tank below the seat. The table legs unscrew and store next to the water tank. It all seems to work great. This was easy and I think it is going to help us love our Scamp.
Attached Thumbnails
P1140215.jpg   P1140213.jpg  

P1140208.jpg   P1140206.jpg  

P1140207.jpg   P1140212.jpg  

Doug in Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:47 AM   #18

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
Hey, nice one Doug....

really well thought out and done "T-berth"....right down to the storage angle (always has to be a consideration)

it's funny that all these bed expanding strategies always seem to have on thing in common: block the fridge door from opening! funny thing that...yours like mine still leaves the cooktop available though...and that's important: I have a camp style percolator that I fill and set up at bedtime...in the morning I don't even have to get out of bed to turn the burner on and start the coffee...

looking at yours again...you could always go for the "Mark 2" version of the table and incorporate the "wings" into a new top shape (and get rid of the extra piece)...I have a few "Mark 2" versions of stuff I've done in my trailer...heck, one is even a "Mark 3" version ...cheers, F
Attached Thumbnails
kitchenc.jpg   kitchenb.jpg  

Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:02 PM   #19

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Doug in Sacramento - you could sell that set up as a kit! What a great idea.
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:13 PM   #20
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Same idea, different trailer. I used a table wall bracket , the front dinette table top and a wooden support to extend the bed on our Trillium. The support comes apart and is easy to store. The wall bracket makes the extension very stable. Raz
Attached Thumbnails
image-1534679668.jpg   image-1251453736.jpg  

image-4212022841.jpg  
Attached Images

Raz is offline   Reply With Quote