Window Louver Vents - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2020, 08:48 PM   #1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: N/A
Maryland
Window Louver Vents

I recently designed and 3-D printed these custom louvers for a Class B RV owner. I'm not in the RV community, so trying to gauge if there is a general need for this type of louver. Not selling anything yet, just curious about whether this owner was unique, or if there's a larger desire for this type of RV accessory.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9101 (2).jpg   IMG_9319 (2).jpg  

WRGLLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 05:37 AM   #2

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
i'd certainly be interested!

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 05:56 AM   #3

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Hi Wayne---thanks for your posting. Your 3D louvred window rain guard looks fantastic!

I definitely would be interested. How does it work? It appears to fit the rounded edge of the glass, which looks like it leaves the window glass not able to lock with its own lock. Does it now require a different locking system? Or is it meant as a temporary insert, used when raining and then removed?

Presently, our trailer has one on the driver's side window. It is excellent for allowing us to keep the window open during rain.
However, we have an awning that, when not in use, makes it very tight for that same style guard on the curb side window. And the same awning doesn't completely cover this window, which is why the guard would be so good. We presently cannot leave the window open during rain, with or without the awning in use.

We definitely would want one from you BUT we'd have to ensure that it fits. The issue is with how much the louvres protrude.

What are your measurements?

Thanks!!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:43 AM   #4

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I've been looking for something like this and would be interested in a purchase should you ever make them for the Casita and/or Scamp.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:48 AM   #5

Maryland
There is a channel that matches the window width and outline. Glass inserts about .25" into this channel (snug fit to keep out rain). Correct, temporary use only--does not allow window to lock. It's 1" thick, but that's customizable in the CAD software if that was an issue.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:00 AM   #6

Name: jon
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' SD
Illinois
As another Casita owner like Patrick in post #2, I would also certainly be interested. I know of two other Casita owners who would possibly interested too. For a while there was something similar on the market for Casita owners but used ones are rare and new ones are no where to be found.
jon carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:10 AM   #7

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
If you can design one that allows the mounting of one or more computer fans (run on 12 volts) that might get some more people to be interested. Maybe 140 or 170 mm fans.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:35 AM   #8

Name: R.T.
Trailer: Big Foot
Georgia
Yes I would also be interested and I'm sure many more would also.

Interesting design. I have been thinking about a mod for this for quite a while.
dblcola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:45 AM   #9

Maryland
The challenge is remotely measuring the opening since fit against window glass is crucial to keep water type. If there's someone with a common vehicle type who'd be willing to be a guinea pig for remotely measuring your windows, please send me a private message. If window is common across vehicle model/years, this could benefit others.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:50 AM   #10

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I’m interested
They look great and would be interested in a pair for my little joe ( mfg Weiscraft)
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:05 PM   #11

Name: jon
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' SD
Illinois
Wayne,
Sent you a PM.

jon
jon carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:11 PM   #12

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Sent you a private message
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:29 PM   #13

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita17'Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
Unhappy MaxxAir Window Vent - NO LONGER AVAILABLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRGLLC View Post
I recently designed and 3-D printed these custom louvers for a Class B RV owner. I'm not in the RV community, so trying to gauge if there is a general need for this type of louver. Not selling anything yet, just curious about whether this owner was unique, or if there's a larger desire for this type of RV accessory.
Hi Wayne,

I'm sure that you will find QUITE A LOT of folks that are interested in your capability to make window louvers. Once-upon-a-time, MaxxAir manufactured and sold them but they have long since discontinued the product. I have seen **MANY** threads where people are looking for them.

Here is a reference to a thread entry that includes a picture. A couple of months ago, I was lucky enough to see a post where someone was selling one and he had "parts" of two others. I bought the parts and installed them on my Casita. He was able to send me a copy of the installation manual to help me "reverse engineer" the installation of the parts.

Essentially, the louvers, which are semi-transparent, consist of three major parts: a top and bottom "cap" and a center piece. You cut the center piece to match the height requirements of your window, fasten it to the caps and then install them via sheet metal screws into the window frame with a gasket around the outside edge and a "wiper gasket" that seals the open end against the sliding window.
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:55 PM   #14

Name: Maryellen
Trailer: 2015 Casita SD
Pennsylvania
Quote:
I’m interested for sure!
Maryellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:00 AM   #15

Maryland
Thanks everyone! I'm working with a Casita owner to see if we can remotely measure windows and make vents. If successful, I'll update to this forum.
Old 08-19-2020, 03:39 PM   #16

Name: Doug
Trailer: Casita SD 17'
California
Quote:
Thanks everyone! I'm working with a Casita owner to see if we can remotely measure windows and make vents. If successful, I'll update to this forum.
I have a 17 ft Casita and I am interested when you nail it down. Maybe print with lighter or translucent color to allow in light. Good luck!!
doctoruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 06:10 PM   #17

Maryland
Original customer wanted complete black, but I offered a translucent grey and clear (can't see through, but passes light. Filament comes in almost any color you'd want.
Old 08-20-2020, 12:14 PM   #18

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Bring 'em On!

Definitely have an interest in these louvers! I have had the MaxxAire vents on my '07 Casita for nine years when they were readily available. I would take my vents off if I ever considered purchasing a brand new Casita... that's how valuable they are! The fan keeps the humid air moving during rain storms, all the while keeping your bed dry! They are scarce like hens teeth and highly coveted since discontinued; just ask any Casita owner!

With that said, I did have to perform surgery on them after a 6000 mile journey out west. They developed stress fracture cracks where they're connected to the straight piece with tiny machine screws and nuts. Traveling on dirt/gravel roads to out-of the-way dispersed sites made them crack while rattling down those roads. I took them apart and used Flexseal tape to cushion and seal the holes. I also foresee the plastic getting UV brittle over time and disintegrating.

I for one would stand in line to replace them and welcome a new/improved design! Please PM me with details.. ��
csevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:38 PM   #19

Name: Maurice
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alaska
Registry
how about vents for a Bigfoot 17 footer?

I would be interested in a set for our 2003 Lil Bigfoot 17 foot trailer.
akreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:58 PM   #20

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Count us in! Temporary positionning would work for us quite well.

How customizable will they be? Could the width be increased? Right now, the MaxxAir vent we have leaves half of the screen window needing to be closed when raining. But....a wider louvre would mean more air flow.

Any chance that you could increase the width of the louvre??

That would be awesome!!

Keep us on the list.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote