Window opinions needed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2011, 11:38 PM   #1

Name: Brian
Trailer: Scamp
South Carolina
Registry
Window opinions needed

OK, as many of you know I have been planning on replacing the plexiglass in my front and rear windows for a while now.I finally got all of the supplies together and took the front window out yesterday.I had originally planned on redoing them as they came from the factory,but now that the front window is completely apart I am thinking about going another direction.I am thinking about putting one solid piece of plexi without the 2 vertical bars.I would still be using the aluminum frame but the windows would no longer open.
The reason I am considering this is because the rear window needs all new hardware to make it functional and the parts are no longer available.I know people have used aftermarket parts but from what I have read they just "kinda" work.Another reason I am thinking about this is there will be less places to possibly leak this way.Any opinions would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
scamp2 003.JPG  
Brian Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:03 AM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Brian, I would think that switching to a one-piece would work fine. You may need to make some modifications to the trim piece to accomodate the parts you're removing. Scavenging parts seems to be a way of life on these old babies.
My trailer has a one-piece front window, and I've always wished that it would open, since I sleep on the front couch. Maybe someday I'll research if I can swap my operable back window with the front one.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:09 AM   #3

South Carolina
Registry
Pam,I have the front window completely disassembled and I can do the one piece glass without any mods to the frame.I'm still not sure if I'm going to do it.As far as swapping your front and back widow goes,I dont know how the Uhaul's are made but my front and back windows are the exact same sizes.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:11 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler
Registry
Personally I would try and keep the windows so they can be opened. I like the feel of a breeze blowing through. But if you aren't going to be able to keep them from leaking then you don't really have any option.
Doug Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:31 AM   #5

South Carolina
Registry
I think I'm going to leave the front window functional since I have all of the parts for it and do a one piece in the back.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:23 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
It may be better to make the front the one-piece for less potential leaks, as in driving in a heavy rain.
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:13 PM   #7

Registry
But my trailer has a rock shield that would protect it from the water. Hmmm, Brian, I'll have to see if I have same size windows front and back. If I did swap them, I'd still have cross ventilation in back from the two operable windows on each side of the table, and I'd get some front/back ventilation from the front window that would now open in the front. Sounds like a winter project
Old 06-11-2011, 06:32 PM   #8

South Carolina
Registry
Well,I went back with the original 3 piece window.It's not in the camper yet but everything is cleaned up and reassembled with new plexiglass.I will be using stainless steel bolts and nuts instead of rivets.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:00 PM   #9

South Carolina
Registry
Well,the front window is done now.I got it back in today.It looks much better without all that caulking around it.Now I just have to wait for rain and hope everything stays dry.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:24 PM   #10

Name: Kent
Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13"
Missouri
Hello

I am in the process of restoring a 1977 -13" - my windows look exactly like the ones in your photo above. Mine have 20 years of caulk and are in poor shape - but with alot of work i believe i can salvage the frames and have them powder coated and install new AR acrylic in them - but thats quite the task - is there anything outhere for sale that would work as a replacement window frames?? Thanks

Kent in Missouri
360icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:24 PM   #11

South Carolina
Registry
We have had some serious storms here over the past 3 days and she is nice and dry now.So I guess all the hard work paid off.And it looks a lot better too.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:44 PM   #12

Registry
How about an 'after' photo ?
Old 06-25-2011, 11:44 AM   #13

South Carolina
Registry
Here you go.You can still see where all of that caulking was around the window but I plan on painting it eventually.I need to clean that center window too.I didnt notice it was so bad until I saw the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
new window pics 003.jpg   new window pics 005.jpg