Window replacement advice? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2003, 12:10 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Window replacement advice?

Hello All -
One of the more important projects I want to complete on the Boler this spring is to replace the side window (curb side over dinette). It's not readily apparent in the photos - but the bottom louver is gone (not just the glass, the whole mechanism). It's currently jerry-rigged using a sheet of plexiglass caulked into place (which I've painted the edges of so it resembles a framed window - yup - I'm anal), but I'd like to get a real working window in there so I can actually open the darn thing.

Anyway - I think there's a couple of options:

1) Pick up a replacement louvered window that matches and do a direct replacement.

2) Scrap BOTH windows and replace them with more modern sliding windows.

The second option would be obviously more expensive - but they'd likely look better in the end and doubtlessly seal better on cold nights (which haven't been a problem for us thus far). NEW replacements would be especially appealing if their frames were thin enough that they didn't intrude into the trailer the way these old windows do. I'm sure I'd really miss the way it pokes into my back when I'm sitting at the dinette - but I'll just have to suffer with that loss.

Anyway - does anyone have any thoughts? I'd especially be interested in hearing the experiences of someone who has replaced their side windows in a similar way. Any leads on the best places to look for such windows? I guess I can always drive out to Elkhart Indiana (only a couple hours) to one of these RV salvage places - but there's a certain handiness to mail order. :)

mkw

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 03:31 PM   #2

If ya do go...

If ya do end up going to Indiana's RV Scrapyard, watch for old Scamps! :)

Old 01-28-2003, 05:49 PM   #3

windows

Don:

Here's a window website for ya.

http://www.buccaneermfg.com/

Old 01-28-2003, 06:34 PM   #4

changing the windows.

Changing to sliding from crank out.
one problem, if it rains the windows have to be shut in sliding windows unless you have an awning of some kind or that other thing, lovered addon. Sliders are no easier to open, but you do eliminate that crank in your back. only half of it opens. it was always the half I wasn't by. :reyes

Old 01-29-2003, 01:19 PM   #5

Thanks Pine Cone!

Old 02-03-2003, 12:45 PM   #6

Replacement Windows

Course - no sooner did I post that original question than a pair of windows shows up on eBay.

They are 22x24" radius corner sliders. They're a bit taller than the originals - which should take care of the corners being radius instead of square. I'll be sure to post an update after they've arrived and I get a chance to try them out.

Oh... The seller said he had another pair of windows to sell if anyone is interested.

mkw

Old 02-13-2003, 11:54 AM   #7

new windows

My replacement windows arrived yesterday. They'll need some cleaning up (dirt, old silicone), and I'm gonna wait for some much better weather before trying to get them mounted. Because the new windows are radius, I think I'm gonna have to do a little bit of build-up around the corners - but won't actually know if that's the case or not until the old windows are out of there. That's when I'll worry about how exactly to get them mounted as well. Looking forward to playing with it!

mkw

Old 02-13-2003, 06:04 PM   #8

Mike, you are going to have some fun. I wish those other windows fit mine, but mine are like 41 inches by somehing, no way they would work. good luck with yours,