Window screening - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2015, 10:54 AM   #1

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Window screening

Hello everyone
Am wanting to put noseeums screening on our trillium 4500. We currently have aluminum(?) screening and was wondering if there is a reason it is metal as apposed to fiberglass. We are headed to bug country this summer/fall and are not keen on company in the trailer.
Island Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:45 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
I would say the primary reason the screen is aluminum is for durability, the way things bounce around while traveling something could easily damage a fiberglass screen. But there is no reason you could not replace it with a finer mesh fiberglass screen
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:03 PM   #3

Name: Andy
Trailer: Trillium
Colorado
I screened our Trillium with a roll of mesh screen from Lowes a year ago. Works just fine!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
ajdemo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:43 PM   #4

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
My trailer has fiberglass screen mesh and I believe they are original from the factory. After 20 + years they are still good. I would replace them with fiberglass again.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 03:09 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Claire View Post
Hello everyone
Am wanting to put noseeums screening on our trillium 4500. We currently have aluminum(?) screening and was wondering if there is a reason it is metal as apposed to fiberglass. We are headed to bug country this summer/fall and are not keen on company in the trailer.
Remember to keep the fan on, blowing into the trailer. Noseemims don't like a head wind. The air flow in and around the trailer and the air blowing out the door rather than in should help some.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:02 PM   #6

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I did not know there is such a thing as a noseeums screen available. If it stops noseeums, it will also load up with any dust or pollen and require more frequent cleaning, I assume. What is the real name of the product?
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:10 PM   #7

Name: Beth
Trailer: eventually
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
I did not know there is such a thing as a noseeums screen available. If it stops noseeums, it will also load up with any dust or pollen and require more frequent cleaning, I assume. What is the real name of the product?

I've never seen it in standard window screening material ie fiberglass or aluminum. I buy it as a fabric for bug netting with my hammock for interior camping and I'll use it for removable window screening in the camper van.

As long as it's used on the inside of the window it won't be a problem loading up with dust/pollen. If the windows were built with the screens on the outside then it might be a minor problem - I'd happily clean screens more often that suffer black fly bites!
Almost There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:44 PM   #8

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
This is one of many available on the market. Our tents were all equipped with it.
No-Seeums (20x20 Mesh) Insect Screen - Consumer/DIY
Old 05-19-2015, 12:50 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Claire View Post
Hello everyone
Aluminum was probably factory standard in 1978. Haven't seen it on a trailer in a couple of decades or so.......

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote