Window seals & hardware for 76 Scamp tilt out windows - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Modifications, Alterations and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-21-2011, 12:57 PM   #21

Trailer: 1976 Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L. View Post
I've found a metal fabricator who says that he can make correct link levers for me. The #614's are just not correct. They won't fasten to the window and the inside arm is too short to reach the brackets intended to lock the windows closed. I'll let everyone know how they work once he's made them. I don't have a price yet but will post that too. I'll return the incorrect link levers to Vintage Trailer Supply
Like I said, they aren't perfect - but they do work once you make the modifications and weld the mirror bracket. I felt it was much easier (or cheaper) to make the modifications and just move the bracket on the inside, than to have a lever made from scratch. But maybe that is the way to go.
Yeah, let us know how much they are going to charge you. I hate to play the gender card, but I realize I might have been taken advantage of. The man that took my order was a bit grouchy. I had them attach everything to the window frame and I paid $300. I didn't shop around and had no idea on how much to expect. I just wanted my windows to work, so I went with it. Seems high to me.
Jenny W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:15 PM   #22

Name: Brian
Trailer: Scamp
South Carolina
Registry
I know this is an old topic but can anyone tell me where I can get the 5/16 glazing in the original post?I searched the website listed and dont see the glazing.I want to replace the plexiglass in my window and this is the only part that I cant find.
Brian Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:50 PM   #23

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Oregon
Registry
Find a shop that does lots of aluminum window and screen work for homes. I found one near Portland and he seemed to have everything in every size. Good luck.
Mike L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:28 PM   #24

Registry
59-067 5/16" Frame Drop-in Glass Spline : SWISCO.com

Unfortunately, you'll pay almost as much in shipping as the spline....
Old 05-11-2011, 03:13 PM   #25

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Hi, Jenny

Thanks for such a detailed description!
I thought folks might also like to know that the hardware (levers etc) on the pictured windows is the same as used on my 1956 Shasta and very similar to that on my 1952 Angeles...
Those looking for parts might do well to check out local "Old Junk Trailers" burial grounds.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:07 AM   #26

Name: Denise
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
Maine
Registry
Thanks for the info in this thread. I need to order some new window seal as the gaskets on my windows are pretty dry and a couple of them leaked during the rain we experienced on my last trip. Now I know where to purchase it.
As I've said before this forum is an invaluable aid to vintage trailer owners! :-)

Denise
Old 01-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #27

Name: Celeste
Trailer: 1977 13' Scamp
NY
Thanks for this thread. I am just at the start of renovating all of my windows, and I found all this information very, very helpful. I've been removing the screens as I take apart and clean the windows, and I'm wondering what kind of gasket I can use when I put new screens in.

But, I am thinking more about how I am going to replace the levers. Out of 5 windows with levers, so a total of 10 levers, I only have 6 in place. So I need to replace at least 4, and I might go ahead and replace all 10 as long as I'm at it. The levers were originally riveted into place, and I'm wondering whether I will have to rivet new ones in place, or whether I can simply use sheet metal screws. I am hoping that I will be able to find a metal fabricating shop to make the new levers.
Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:49 AM   #28

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Oregon
Registry
Metal fabricator

This place has on file the design of some levers that will work to prop open the end windows like the ones on our '76 Scamp 13'
They aren't perfect. I need to go back over there with the trailer so that I can show him the modification that needs to be made, but the ones I have do work.
I got a rivet gun at a hardware store, and a variety of rivets, and riveted them in place. It's easy to do.

Tri-Fab Inc

11490 Southeast Jennifer Street, Clackamas, OR 97015-9009

(503) 650-0657 ()
Mike L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:33 PM   #29

Name: Jay Marlette
California
My Hero

I seriously did not know what to do about my windows til now! You rule!
Jay Marlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:36 PM   #30

Registry
Glad I can help. As an update I recently worked with the windows again. The riveted portion over time broke. So this time I drilled through the window frame and used small machine screws with nuts on the inside. I believe they were #20s, 3/4" long and stainless steel. Works great. So that's the part I'd definitely suggest changing. Good luck with yours.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:48 PM   #31

California
Side windows

That's a good tip! Any chance you know where I can score the two side movable window sashes with the hurricane hinge along the top?

Jay
Attached Thumbnails
2012-11-22 14.16.16.jpg  
Old 11-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #32

Registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Marlette View Post
That's a good tip! Any chance you know where I can score the
two side movable window sashes with the hurricane hinge along the top?

Jay

Say what?

I'm having trouble connecting the above description with the pic you posted...

Francesca
Old 11-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #33

California
Thanks Francesca for requesting verification. I have side windows that basically have two parts. One part is the frame that is riveted to the fiberglass shell and the other part is the sash that hinges up and out where the plexiglass is seated. Along the top of this sash is a hinge designed to prevent water from penetrating between the affixed frame and the movable sash. I was calling that a hurricane hinge. I am hoping to score two of these sashes. Hope this helps clear things up. You may notice that a piece of this hurricane hinge is missing along the top of this hinge.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #34

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny W.
Glad I can help. As an update I recently worked with the windows again. The riveted portion over time broke. So this time I drilled through the window frame and used small machine screws with nuts on the inside. I believe they were #20s, 3/4" long and stainless steel. Works great. So that's the part I'd definitely suggest changing. Good luck with yours.
That's really helpful cause I wanna remove the affixed frame and reapply them with a caulking strip.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:36 PM   #35

Registry
Quote:
Thanks Francesca for requesting verification. I have side windows that basically have two parts. One part is the frame that is riveted to the fiberglass shell and the other part is the sash that hinges up and out where the plexiglass is seated. Along the top of this sash is a hinge designed to prevent water from penetrating between the affixed frame and the movable sash. I was calling that a hurricane hinge. I am hoping to score two of these sashes. Hope this helps clear things up. You may notice that a piece of this hurricane hinge is missing along the top of this hinge.
Sorry for my density but I'm still not getting the picture- what I see a half-piece of in the pic looks like weatherstripping....

I sure hope somebody with the same type window weighs in, 'cause I've got nothin'!

Francesca
Old 11-24-2012, 08:25 AM   #36

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
.......Along the top of this sash is a hinge designed to prevent water from penetrating between the affixed frame and the movable sash. I was calling that a hurricane hinge. I am hoping to score two of these sashes. ....... You may notice that a piece of this hurricane hinge is missing along the top of this hinge.
Jay, you might check this website... or place a phone call during business hours. The hinge is actually called "Better than Hurricane." I know you don't need 4', maybe they can cut you want you need?

"Better-Than-Hurricane" Leakproof Galley Lid Hinge
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:07 AM   #37

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Sorry for my density but I'm still not getting the picture- what I see a half-piece of in the pic looks like weatherstripping....

I sure hope somebody with the same type window weighs in, 'cause I've got nothin'!

Francesca

Hi Francesca,

Its a metal window frame with a hinge at the top. It goes on the side of a 1976 Scamp 13ft.

Jay
Old 11-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #38

California
Thanks again Donna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Jay, you might check this website... or place a phone call during business hours. The hinge is actually called "Better than Hurricane." I know you don't need 4', maybe they can cut you want you need?

"Better-Than-Hurricane" Leakproof Galley Lid Hinge
Great resource for that hinge. Grant has remnants he is willing to sell me for a lot less. Thanks again.

Today I scored a snazzy lamp for my Gypsy trailer theme.
Attached Thumbnails
2012-11-25 15.17.46.jpg  
Old 07-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #39

California
Continued thanks

This post has been a tremendous source for me and my window restoration.

Thanks

Jay
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0799.jpg  
Old 07-31-2013, 10:46 AM   #40

Trailer: 1973 Love Bug
Great question Mike L. I want the windows to secure from the inside too. So how do I do that??
Lee A. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp, windows