Window shades - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2022, 05:45 PM   #1

Name: Ken
Trailer: Casita
British Columbia
Window shades

I have a 2014 Casita with no window coverings. I'm curious to know how others have mounted roller blinds or pleated shades which does not involve drilling through the exterior of the trailer to fasten the mounting bracket. I'm seeing that sometimes there is a bracket attached to the window frame or the underside of the overhead storage cabinet. Thanks for your help.
Ken in PR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 07:41 AM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken in PR. View Post
I have a 2014 Casita with no window coverings. I'm curious to know how others have mounted roller blinds or pleated shades which does not involve drilling through the exterior of the trailer to fasten the mounting bracket. I'm seeing that sometimes there is a bracket attached to the window frame or the underside of the overhead storage cabinet. Thanks for your help.

Following this as I have same questions
My plan unless someone answers with a better idea is to mount cafe rods ( hopefully using same holes) in the window frame …
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 09:31 AM   #3

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Look up window coverings, blinds, shades, etc. in the "search" option at the top of this page. Drop down to Google search and you will have a more complete search of articles posted on the forum. Add my name "Gilda" and you will get results for what I have done. Here's one posting you may like. https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...des-84963.html
I made roll-up shades out of a solid fabric called Ron-Loc. The fabric is simply cut to size with extra length at the top and bottom to make a "rod holder" and a hem. Add Velcro to the bottom so it "attaches" to the rat fur. There is no need to finish the sides of the fabric as it does not fray. I used an old rod from a small tent frame for the rod, put rubber tips on the ends and just place the rod on top of my existing trailer curtain rod. I simply roll up the shade by hand. This is not a big deal as it is a very short piece of fabric. When I want darkness I unroll it a fasten with the Velcro. While traveling the rod does NOT fall off if it is in the down and "locked" position. I have found this to be a satisfactory and easy solution. I love to vary my curtains. See other posts. Add my name "Gilda" and you will get results for what I have done. Here's one posting you may like. https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...des-84963.html
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 05:13 PM   #4

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Don't know if you'd call it "blinds" or not, but I use reflectix bubble insulation. Keeps the Scamp warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Only thing is that you can't see in or out. But when it is 19 degrees farenheit outside, who cares!!! That is the lowest temperature we have tested it to. Have not tested it to high temperatures yet, but many swear by it.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 11:10 AM   #5

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
But window shades should have a function beyond decoration! You can have room darkening insulated shades that have pretty designs on both inside and outside.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 01:03 PM   #6

Name: RamblinRick
Kansas
We have a Casita as well and ordered shades from Windows Galore. Measuring was easy and we used the already drilled holes.

I glued a sticky 3M hook on the bottom of the shade and could hold the shade down with that. Very pleased.

Tired of those easy to wreck blinds that come with the casita.
richardabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 05:42 PM   #7

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita17'Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
In my 2007 Casita Spirit Deluxe, the blinds are attached with short pieces of aluminum angle brackets to the top of the window frames with short machine screws. No holes were made thru the fiberglass and the windows slide without obstruction.

The blinds work quite well for me since I have installed (lightly) tinted window film on the glass and I also have made exterior window awnings which didn’t require making holes in the fiberglass. More info on the window awnings is located here.
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 08:49 AM   #8

Name: Mindy
North Carolina
My Casita had the aluminum blinds. I removed the blinds but kept the metal bracket at the top (which is attached to the window frame by 2 metal L brackets) then I made simple shades and sewed velcro onto the top of the shade and glued the other side to the top of the metal bracket. I made ties and roll them up. I'm not much of a sewer so had to keep it basic but using the blind bracket worked out well.

Mindy G
Hendersonville, NC
17' Casita Spirit Deluxe 2017
Attached Thumbnails
20201031_133049.jpg   20201031_125943.jpg  

20220305_094657.jpg  
mindygee is offline   Reply With Quote