Window "things" - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2012, 06:45 AM   #1

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Window "things"

I'm talking about those things that go in sliding windows that allow them to stay open in the rain. Do they let in enough air to be worth the price, how do they attach, and where can you get them? I checked the Camping World website this morning and they were not shown. Thanks
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:13 AM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Window Maxx Air is what they are and I put them on the Nest Egg and they caused leaks where the screws entered the window frames. I removed them and resealed the holes and went with the awning.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:23 AM   #3

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
I'm talking about those things that go in sliding windows that allow them to stay open in the rain. Do they let in enough air to be worth the price, how do they attach, and where can you get them? I checked the Camping World website this morning and they were not shown. Thanks
Mine work fine and no leaking at all. I really like them and rarely close the windows that they are on.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ndowmaxx/13047
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
As far as I am concerned next to installing a Fantastic Fan adding the windowmaxx vent was the best thing I ever did! No leaks at all - even in the pouring rain on the wet coast.

Yes they let in enough air to keep the condensation down when its raining. They come with instructions for installing but I suggest you read all the way through the instructions & measure twice before you start cutting things to fit. You may even want to go the manufactures website for instructions as it has pretty clear photos.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:33 AM   #5

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Do you have to drill holes? Could you use some sort of adhesive instead?
Old 05-23-2012, 09:55 AM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Melissa, Its not possible to install the vents with an adhesive. The edge of the vent has a rubber flange around it that needs to be cut open in spots to let any water or condensation that manages to get between the vent and the window frame, drain out.

You actually screw the vents into the outside edge of the window frame. As I recall the kit comes with a number of different sized screws and spacers to use depending of the type/shape of of window you have & instructions as to whether or not you need to cut the rubber flange down in width or not. My Scamp required the use of the rubber flange full width and a screw with a long spacer and I dont drill a hole all the way through the fiberglass - it ended up only going through the window frame and only part way into the fiberglass. Had I cut the rubber outside flange down in width and not used the spacer with the screws (which I was original going to do) it may have gone right through the fiberglass - thus why I suggested its best to read all the way through the install instructions and check the manufactures website for more detailed photos and instructions.

As mentioned I have not had leak issues at all with the install in the 2 years its been on and I know the two parties who talked me into doing it sure didnt mention having any either.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:00 AM   #7

Thanks, Carol!
Old 05-23-2012, 10:00 AM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
I've had Window Maxx vents on both sides of my Scamp13 for almost eight years now. They have performed flawlessly and beyond expectations.
When used in conjunction with my Maxxair vent cover, they provide cool dry ventilation, even during heavy rain.
They are leak free, durable and attractive....
Attached Thumbnails
Oregon trip 004.jpg   WB40023.jpg  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #9

Floyd, why were you at "R & R RV's"? I see there is a T@b and the 2 Airstreams parked there so quite an interesting gathering for sure.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Floyd, why were you at "R & R RV's"? I see there is a T@b and the 2 Airstreams parked there so quite an interesting gathering for sure.
We were on our way South and R&R was at the intersection of Rte 24 & I-57 where we were to get on I-57.
Our Scamp was new at the time and we had previously considered a 16 Bambi CCD from them. We stopped because they had a big parts department with lots of goodies. Plus, it gave us the opportunity to pat ourselves on the back for making the right decision!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote