Winter Project Hunter Compact II - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2015, 02:07 AM   #41

Name: Captain Longbelly
Trailer: Lots
Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
I like your choice for the microwave location, is it going to have enough room for heat venting ?
It has a lot of room behind it and above...I think it will be fine
KyMoonshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:12 AM   #42

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by francene View Post
Really like those light fixtures, Ky. Where did you get them?

Also that's a neat location for the microwave; did you do that or the former owner?

Those original light fixtures sure got corroded! Mine were, too. Better metal finishes these days, so the new lights should look good for a long time.

Keep plugging!

Fran
I picked the lights up at Lowes...they were designed as tabletop spots and I took them apart and re-purposed them...

I cut the hole for the Microwave...it's the same location I used in my 29ft Airstream...

Old 02-04-2015, 11:48 AM   #43

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
I don't know the weight of your microwave, but if it were me, I'd use thicker plywood for the shelves and thicker support rails. It looks from your photo that you used 1/4" ply. When the trailer is on the road and bouncing around, I don't think I'd trust 1/4" plywood to support the microwave.

Just my $.02 worth, but I don't want you to be surprised upon arrival at your campsite!

Best,
Fran
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:40 PM   #44

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I would also be somewhat concerned about operating what looks like a 1000-1200 watt microwave in such a confined space. While it may not start a fire in it's own right, I really doubt if the internal electronics and the magnatron will like the extra heat build up. Built in or under cabinet types usually have a front vent. And what does the manufacturer say about clearances? My home units always say something like "Do Not Use in a Confined Space, Such as a Cabinet" or "This unit is not designed for built in use" etc.

As an aside: We built microwaves into several RV's in the past and found that basically, because we didn't have a hook up, or just didn't want popcorn that night, we seldom used them, so stopped the practice. But each of us is different.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:47 PM   #45

Kentucky
Thanks guys for the input and advice...this is about the fourth camper I have modified this way and so far I've pulled the first one over 150k miles the last five years with no problems...all the weight is at the very edges of the shelf and its connected really good if it did fall it would catch the wall and wedge there...I will keep a close watch on it the first few trips out....it's a tiny camper this Hunter...and this is a tiny microwave probably 600 watts maybe...but I do intend to open the closet door when using it to allow for better airflow and will keep a close eye on it as well till we know it's not going to overheat...and we camp about 3 months out of any given year so we use the microwave a lot...

I don't claim to be good at working on these old campers and I know I lack carpentry skills...I am an aircooled VW mech so I have great mech skills...good welding and fab skills but horrible carpentry skills...I dislike carpentry work...I make these campers practical for us to use and don't take great pain in how pretty they end up...it needs to be roadworthy and have the things that make camping fun and more enjoyable to us...I hack up and modify campers with no intention of trying to resale them...we enjoy them and enjoy camping and meeting other people...I have friends that own professional camper restoration shops and restore 50k Airstreams and Spartans...I redo $200.00 - $800.00 campers and have a blast doing it...
Old 02-08-2015, 06:57 PM   #46

Kentucky
Found some time today so I tackled a few things...installed a hatch to vent out the hot A/C air and store the 30 amp power cord when not in use

Just a few more things before it's moved out of the shop and I start a new project

Old 02-08-2015, 10:59 PM   #47

Registry
I like the access hatch, Ky. Sure beats having to lift the seat cushions and seat lid to get to things stored under the benches. Very smart.

Fran
Old 02-09-2015, 12:16 PM   #48

Name: Rob
Trailer: New 1973 Compact II
California
Hi, I've been shopping for an access hatch like yours. Please give us the information to locate one like it.

Thanks, Bob
Rob V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:52 PM   #49

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
Hi, I've been shopping for an access hatch like yours. Please give us the information to locate one like it.

Thanks, Bob
Bob...it is designed for boats so it is very weather tight

Amazon.com : Amarine-made Marine Deck Hatch Boat Deck Hatch Access Hatch & Lid 10-5/8" X 14-3/4" - White - 270mmx375mm : Sports & Outdoors
Old 02-09-2015, 12:57 PM   #50

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Here is a link to a guy in SoCal that seems to have lots to choose from, in different sizes and some with round corners.
Vintage Trailer Motor Home storage fridge doors 60's 70's,80's
Let us all know what you find.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:36 PM   #51
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyMoonshine View Post
I'm an Airstream guy and usually travel in Vintage Aluminum...but really love this little fiberglass camper

Ky..... we are on the same page. From my dad back in the 50/60's I got the aluminuitis bug but from my days of working with fiberglass on custom cars I can't shake the idea of owning a glass shelled camper. We looked at many glass projects including a number of Bigfoots back in the 90's but never ended up with one.

Your projects/mods look great and mirrors the work we have done on our 23'. BTE we are always on the prowl for something interesting in glass and will bookmark your thread for future project reference. Thnxs again for the influential/informative posts.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 02:45 AM   #52

Kentucky
Been buried under 18 inches of snow for the last couple of weeks...finally finished replacing all the lights on the Compact

and moved it out of the garage to make room for the next winter project my 1960 Beetle

we are heading out next weekend in the Compact and looking forward to some camping...
Old 03-07-2015, 06:06 PM   #53

Registry
Congratulations on finishing the Compact! It looks good.

Keep warm during your camping trip.

Fran
Old 03-16-2015, 12:25 AM   #54

Kentucky
Had a wonderful trip and really enjoyed the upgrades...this camper will se a lot of use and miles this year