Winterizing 1975 Honey Boler - 13ft - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2018, 05:58 PM   #1

Name: Catherine
Trailer: 1975 Honey Boler
BC
Winterizing 1975 Honey Boler - 13ft

Hey there!

I plan on living in my trailer for this winter but need to winterize the place as it will be in the mountains of BC and very cold. I am wondering if anyone has tips on how to modify the trailer? How would you recommend insulating? I am hoping to install a tiny wood stove but am worried about drilling a hole into the fiberglass, and also about how the stove will withstand bumpy roads. has anyone had experience with this? Is there another form of heating I could install instead?

I am also wondering what fridge you would recommend for this brand of trailer as I only have the ice cooler but would like something run by the propane.

Thank you!
cmarti14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:14 PM   #2

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Do you have a Plan B? There are a number of propane heaters available but there is no way to add significant insulation. You may be warm only while the heater is running. You probably won't be able to keep your water system from freezing, will need to drain it. Condensation is another uncomfortable issue. Maybe stack some bales of hay around the perimeter to keep the wind out.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:42 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Sounds like the great outdoors would be your freezer and the inside, your fridge.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:57 PM   #4

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
You might want to reconsider your option for living space. You are going to be miserableeven with a wood stove. Trying to insulate a Boler is going to be difficult because of all the curves in it. You would have to build a wood frame four inches inside of the Boler shell to get enough thickness of insulation to stay warm.

The other factor is with a tiny wood stove you will have to keep getting up at night to put more wood into the fire to keep warm enough. If you don't then your ceiling and walls will become coated with thick frost and when it melts in the morning when you fire up the stove the water from the ceiling will be raining down on you and the water on the walls will be running down onto the floor. Of course there is the issue of where you will obtain and store the firewood. You can' just go out and gather it from the woods when you need it. Wood has to be seasoned and dried for it to be of any use for heating.

As to using propane for heat, your on-board tank(s) will not be able to keep up with the demand for full time heat. You will be constantly running out of propane which means you will be spending a LOT of money to keep warm.

As to the refrigerator, if it is that cold outside you don't need one during the winter time.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:07 PM   #5

Name: Tim
Trailer: Burro 13' trailer
North Carolina
Registry
friends my to Thanks F g cuddle
traffensperger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler