wood stove in Scamp 16 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2021, 04:13 PM   #1

Name: Tim
Trailer: Scamp
UT
wood stove in Scamp 16

It seems that the layout of my Scamp 16 does not lend itself to a furnace installation. I'm not sure I would like the noise anyhow. Anyone have experience with a tiny wood stove? I have seen them in vans. Thanks! Tim
Tkemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 04:34 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Consider carefully what you will burn and where you will source it. Unprocessed fuel wood cannot be transported out of the region where it was harvested. That leaves processed lumber scraps or locally sourced fuel wood. It must be dry and cut into very small pieces to burn, so tools and time required.

I'm honestly having a hard time imagining a layout with no room for a furnace but room for a woodstove. All the Scamp factory layouts provide for a furnace.

It can be done. It's been done. It's not the easiest way to heat a trailer.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 05:35 PM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Yes, it has been done. But why? Based upon stove size, it would likely have to be loaded every two or three hours. That does not add up to a good night’s sleep. And if by some chance it ignites the trailer (hopefully with you NOT in it), the insurance company will likely not cover your loss as no manufacturer installs wood stoves in its travel trailers. From a convenience point of view, it would seem to be a pain lighting it every time heat is needed, and extinguishing it whenever you are ready to travel. Personally, I would not want red hot coals inside my trailer. A propane flame on the stove, in the furnace, the water heater, or the refrigerator is living close enough “to the edge” for me. And as Jon has stated, Scamp will install the optional furnace in their 13, 16, and 19 foot models.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 06:26 PM   #4

UT
I think my situation is pretty unique. I purchased the Scamp for winter camping in the Utah desert. Last winter I used a Little Buddy heater for a couple hrs morning and night. It worked fine but you get a lot of condensation when you turn propane into co2 and water. Esp when it is in the teens inside the trailer.

I bought a furnace from Scamp hoping to put it in the closet next to the entry door. It turns out all the cabinetry on that side is not deep enough.

I have the option of putting it into another closet on the other side. (Amazing amount of empty space in a 16!foot trailer! But I am hoping to convert that area to a shower for warmer outings. The stove is easily removable for summer. Also I am a light sleeper and the on off cycle of a furnace might be worse than the cold. Vans camped near me sound like rocket engines going on and off.

I have seen van conversions with tiny wood stoves. I have more than 30 years of experience heating a New England home with wood. Also coal can be picked up on the side of the road some places in Utah, and a few golf ball size pieces keep the vans warm all night. Free, quiet, and warm, a winning combination by my standards.

I was just hoping someone would reply”!yes I bought such and such and it has worked great....!This is what I did for the vent pipe...etc.
Old 05-15-2021, 06:32 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkemple View Post
I was just hoping someone would reply”!yes I bought such and such and it has worked great....!This is what I did for the vent pipe...etc.

Don't hold your breath.
Suggest you use the search function for previous discussions.
Use the bottom Google Search box.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2021-05-15 at 5.33.59 PM.png  
Old 05-15-2021, 06:47 PM   #6

UT
Thanks, will try that.
Old 05-15-2021, 07:35 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'm not sure this link will work, but I'm attempting to connect you to Tim Miklos (yup, another Tim, another wood stove...) in the Facebook group "Scamp Travel Trailers." He full-times in a 13' Boler in Michigan and heats with a Cubic Mini wood stove. The link should list posts by Tim in the group, some of which relate to the stove. If they don't give you what you need, you could message him through FB.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/6506...q=tim%20miklos

If the link doesn't work, I think I've given you enough information to track him down.

Didn't think about coal...

We also heat primarily with wood at home. Love it, but when I'm on vacation the last thing I want to do is mess with a stove!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:45 PM   #8

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
Wood stove in fiberglass RV.

Another thing to do is look up "Slim Potato head" on U-tube he uses a home built wood / pellet stove out of ammo can.
https://youtu.be/CL_hcw1Bkq8

That a link to him and it.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 08:22 PM   #9

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
http://dickinsonmarine.com/product/n...d-fuel-heater/

I've seen these used on boats. They work very well but get extremely hot. To get the necessary clearance from other combustible materials would require a lot of room.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 09:58 PM   #10

Name: Robin
Trailer: 2013 16ft Scamp
California
Yes, watch Slim Potatohead on youtube. He posted his wood stove build online and it's pretty cool.
Campingbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 10:24 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingbliss View Post
He posted his wood stove build online and it's pretty cool.

Is it cool because he dare not light it in such a small space or because authorities confiscated his wood pile?
Old 05-16-2021, 04:39 AM   #12

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
If you are having difficulty finding a place to put your furnace, take a look at Propex heaters. You can put them just about anyplace.

https://www.propexheatsource.com/heaters/
Old 05-16-2021, 05:04 AM   #13

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingbliss View Post
Yes, watch Slim Potatohead on youtube. He posted his wood stove build online and it's pretty cool.
Might be cool, but if you look closely, it prevents him from using the rear bed.

His problem is similar to many, how to find a spot with adequate clearance without losing critical space in one of these small trailers.

Check out all the you tubers full timing in vans. Many, many, many, use one of the made in China diesel heaters. Small, compact, efficient, cheap.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 07:48 AM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I'm not sure this link will work, but I'm attempting to connect you to Tim Miklos (yup, another Tim, another wood stove...) in the Facebook group "Scamp Travel Trailers." He full-times in a 13' Boler in Michigan and heats with a Cubic Mini wood stove.
I've followed Tim for several years on Facebook. This is one of my favorite pics of his wood stove installation.
Attached Thumbnails
~Capture.JPG  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 10:59 AM   #15

Name: Doug
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16, 2011 RAV4 V6
California
I love the picture that Donna attached. I’ve spent much of my life heating with wood stoves and have never seen a cuter one. In general, wood heating is in decline due to health and environmental concerns. Should be okay in the desert in winter, I would think.
Doug in Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 11:36 AM   #16

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug in Sacramento View Post
I love the picture that Donna attached. I’ve spent much of my life heating with wood stoves and have never seen a cuter one. In general, wood heating is in decline due to health and environmental concerns. Should be okay in the desert in winter, I would think.
I grew up in a house that only had a fireplace for heat. Full disclosure, my maiden name was Baker, and that’s what I love to do in front of the fireplace. I hate central air; I really don’t like propane heat; I love wood heat and would love to have one of these in my trailer.
Old 05-16-2021, 02:06 PM   #17

Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
If you are having difficulty finding a place to put your furnace, take a look at Propex heaters. You can put them just about anyplace.

https://www.propexheatsource.com/heaters/
I am very happy with the Propex I installed in my Scamp. I put it under the front bunk which made the gas line, intake and exhaust piping very easy. It was not cheap but worth every penny. I don’t mind the little fan noise and neither does my daughter or dog.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 03:36 PM   #18
tua

Name: Traveler
Trailer: Happier Camper
Utah
Wood Stove in a 13 ft Scamp

Check out Elsa Rhae and Barron you tube videos. They full time and have been spending winters in Colorado. They have had their cubic mini version for several years. I just listened to their podcast yesterday on exactly everything you want to know. They also have videos on their stove.
tua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 01:00 PM   #19

Name: Nick
Trailer: scamp
California
Allow me to highly recommend the Dickenson P12000, it looks like a small fireplace with a nice flame, works on propane, consumption is very reasonable and does not present any fire danger. It does not use a big blower that sucks your batteries dry. Once warmed up you maintain temp by setting it very low. I use mine all winter here in eastern Washington to keep the scamp from freezing and (depending how cold) I get 3-4 weeks of CONTINOUS (24 hr/day) operation out of 40# propane.

Dickenson manufactures marine heaters among other things and they are marine grade products, meaning simple and reliable. They also make wood and diesel variations.
Nick J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 11:13 AM   #20

Name: Todd
Washington
I know you’re looking for stove information not furnace, but I’ll throw out another recommendation for the Propex. I installed the external one under the floor behind the axle, and their “acoustic ducting”. It takes up no inside space, is super quiet, and works great.
toddq is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp