Wood trim around windows? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2022, 08:41 PM   #1

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Wood trim around windows?

A few years ago I (think) I read something about someone successfully adding wood trim around their interior windows. This would have been *over* the existing metal frames.

I have done a search but am not finding anything. (But I did come across a few posts by old friend Bob Miller, who is very missed )

I do have a lovely woodworking SIL who could do this for me, but would like to find more info first.

Has anyone done this? Any tips to offer?
Old 02-22-2022, 05:49 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I’m wondering what the purpose is?

Single pane windows tend to form condensation in cool weather camping, and of course they can also develop leaks and get left open accidentally in the rain. You’re always fighting moisture around windows, and wood doesn’t like moisture.

Seems like you’re better off without it unless it’s performing some necessary function.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 09:34 AM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I miss Bob too.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 09:47 AM   #4

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Single pane windows tend to form condensation in cool weather camping, and of course they can also develop leaks and get left open accidentally in the rain. You’re always fighting moisture around windows, and wood doesn’t like moisture.
You could use vinyl trim board instead of wood. That would solve any rotting problems.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 10:26 AM   #5

Arizona
Registry
Agree, though I'd still like to know the purpose.
Old 02-22-2022, 10:39 AM   #6

CA
Quote:
Agree, though I'd still like to know the purpose.
Well, the interior needs a bit of a facelift…. Wall behind stove, etc. My tricky copper tubing curtain rods work when behaving, but are a pain when they do not.

Maybe a mid(trailer)life crisis? Have been thinking of starting from scratch. Doing blinds. Adding a valance. Or Roman shades. Definitely bubble wrap fitted on cold nights, rolled up and stored otherwise.

When starting from scratch (but you’re not up to a frame-off restoration), address what you can that annoys you (and those interior window frames are ooogly, and they annoy me)
Old 02-24-2022, 06:35 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Trailer: Winnebago
Wooden trim for Casita windows

Like this?
Attached Thumbnails
292AA9DC-B25F-448C-B33A-AECFF80593B3.jpg  
Larry,C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 09:31 AM   #8

Alberta
Registry
Not sure how the Lil Bigfoot windows are set up. I have recommended wood trim around the windows of Trilliums, when the Ensolite is damaged from replacing the wood frame, on the inside of the trailer, under the Ensolite. The windows screw into this wood from the outside of the trailer, and the decorative wood frame could also attach to it.

This was intended as a cosmetic fix for a cosmetic problem. However, if you think it improves your trailers appeal, then go for it.
Old 02-24-2022, 07:56 PM   #9

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry,C View Post
Like this?
Yes, a lot like that. Thank you!
Old 02-24-2022, 08:02 PM   #10

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Not sure how the Lil Bigfoot windows are set up. I have recommended wood trim around the windows of Trilliums, when the Ensolite is damaged from replacing the wood frame, on the inside of the trailer, under the Ensolite. The windows screw into this wood from the outside of the trailer, and the decorative wood frame could also attach to it.

This was intended as a cosmetic fix for a cosmetic problem. However, if you think it improves your trailers appeal, then go for it.
Mine is in the shop right now so have to speak from memory...

The inside of the windows have metal frames which screw in, and also finish the carpeted interior walls. Some of this carpet has shrunk, or come loose, and would either need to be replaced or the frame needs to be bigger to grab it again. I'd like to cover the metal and use larger moulding to finish the loose carpet.

Then I'd possibly use blinds instead of curtains, and prefer the finished sides/built-in look like the photo above.

So I guess it would be cosmetic, and functional, and also allow mama to do other upgrades.
Old 02-24-2022, 11:40 PM   #11

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllPea in CA View Post
Mine is in the shop right now so have to speak from memory...

The inside of the windows have metal frames which screw in, and also finish the carpeted interior walls. Some of this carpet has shrunk, or come loose, and would either need to be replaced or the frame needs to be bigger to grab it again. I'd like to cover the metal and use larger moulding to finish the loose carpet.

Then I'd possibly use blinds instead of curtains, and prefer the finished sides/built-in look like the photo above.

So I guess it would be cosmetic, and functional, and also allow mama to do other upgrades.
So,... I have no experience with your situation, I'm more of a Trillium guy, so take what I say, (type) with a grain of salt.

I really prefer to avoid any un-necessary holes in the fibreglass.

My suggestion is to peel away the covering on the inside of the shell, around the windows. Then glass something like 1x2 lumber, (maybe use 3/4" thick plywood, like Trillium does) around the window. It would probably be a good idea to bevel the outside of this frame at a 45° angle, (like Trillium does). The way I would attach the wood to the shell would be to wrap 2" wide fibreglass straps, (saturated with resin) around the corners and maybe the middle of each side as well. This is not really structural. Then, reattach the wall covering over the new frame. It wont look perfect, but there will be a decorative frame, of your preference, over it anyway. It would probably be a good idea to remove the window when you do this. That would make clamping the wood frame easier. This assumes that you are working with a flat window. If the window follows the curve of the trailer, then it may be necessary put some fibreglass mat behind the vertical pieces. The point is to have something to attach the cosmetic frame to, that doesn't involve perforating the fibreglass. Clearly, I'm proposing a BIG job.

Actually, if it was me, because I want to eliminate all wood, the current plan is to use 1"x1" pultruded fibreglass square tube instead of wood, but I would have a difficult time justifying the additional expense, and difficulty. Difficult because I would split the square tube, with a thin blade, so it was almost 1"x½" and add a nylon core for screws to bite into. After all, it is also holding the windows on. At this moment, this is how I would like to finish the windows on my forever Trillium 4500. But I may have a bit of the OCD and the plan might change, (improve).
Old 02-25-2022, 02:20 AM   #12

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethGmail View Post
The uses of wood trim around the windows added the beauty of the room.
Elizabeth, I agree
Old 02-25-2022, 02:31 AM   #13

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
So,...
I really prefer to avoid any un-necessary holes in the fibreglass.

... Clearly, I'm proposing a BIG job.

...But I may have a bit of the OCD and the plan might change, (improve).
LOL! THIS WOULD BE A BIG JOB! (and I thought I had a bit of the OCD!)

These are really great ideas, and with more time and about 5 more hands it would be an interesting project!

But I actually was not proposing putting holes in the fiberglass, my thought was to make use of the existing screw holes in the interior metal frames... remove the screw, use a longer screw, screw the wood (or vinyl) onto the metal using the same screw hole.

Maybe that's not realistic, but if it isn't this little project will definitely wait for another brainstorm!
Old 02-25-2022, 07:42 AM   #14

Arizona
Registry
The inside trim is a clamp ring that pulls against the outer window frame to squeeze it against the shell with a layer of butyl sealant in between.

Not saying impossible, but you’ll have to be careful not to disturb the window seal with your plan. Get the screw length right and only pull one or two at a time… maybe.

It means the trim and anything attached to it (like curtains or shades) will have to be removed when you reseal the window. Any idea if your husband did that during the first round of renovations?
Old 02-26-2022, 12:22 PM   #15

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2005
Wood trim

Added mostly to be functional, to eliminate the elastic that held the bottom of the blinds against the Casita walls.
Attached Thumbnails
80E1752A-CF05-4871-BB83-13E606849FAD.jpeg  
HaroldB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 12:31 PM   #16

Name: Skip
Trailer: Casita
Arkansas
I did this on my Casita
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210429_125337.jpg  
Flydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 12:49 PM   #17

CA
Quote:
The inside trim is a clamp ring that pulls against the outer window frame to squeeze it against the shell with a layer of butyl sealant in between.

Not saying impossible, but you’ll have to be careful not to disturb the window seal with your plan. Get the screw length right and only pull one or two at a time… maybe.

It means the trim and anything attached to it (like curtains or shades) will have to be removed when you reseal the window. Any idea if your husband did that during the first round of renovations?
Jon, I'm pretty sure the PO resealed the windows. In fact, on the sun side of the trailer some butyl sometimes sort of squishes down and/or drips slightly. It is soft and can be removed carefully. I just can't imagine that 30 y/o seals would be doing that. So far I haven't found any leaks.

I find something similar around some of the exterior hatches, Which I guess he resealed but did not replace. Those are brittle and some have been painted over (and that paint is peeling), which is why I want to replace those.

Yes, the plan would definitely be to proceed very carefully and NOT use screws that are too long!
Old 02-26-2022, 12:51 PM   #18

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldB View Post
Added mostly to be functional, to eliminate the elastic that held the bottom of the blinds against the Casita walls.
How did you secure these? Especially the side pieces?

And do the side pieces sort of wrap in front of the blind, holding it in place? Or do they just finish the side look?
Old 02-26-2022, 12:52 PM   #19

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flydog View Post
I did this on my Casita
Skip, same question! How are these pieces secured? Details, please!
Old 02-26-2022, 01:44 PM   #20

Name: Susan
Trailer: Trillium
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllPea in CA View Post
A few years ago I (think) I read something about someone successfully adding wood trim around their interior windows. This would have been *over* the existing metal frames.

I have done a search but am not finding anything. (But I did come across a few posts by old friend Bob Miller, who is very missed )

I do have a lovely woodworking SIL who could do this for me, but would like to find more info first.

Has anyone done this? Any tips to offer?
I did it to my trillium. I just glued them around the frame with flex seal glue. That stuff will glue anything. I did it because I really needed something to put new curtain brackets on. If you know someone who make nice metered corners that would be a plus.
Best of luck.
SuCo - new owner of of 1975 Scamp which needs a lot of tlc.
SuCo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows