WTK ideas for new rear bumper on Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2014, 02:32 PM   #1

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
WTK ideas for new rear bumper on Scamp

I have all the stuff gathered up to build my rear mounted receiver hitch for my Scamp so I can mount a bike rack back there. Yes I know all the issues with a bike rack on the back of a trailer but after considering all the options I still think it is the best way for me to go. That said, I have not gone forward with the build as I also want to someday maybe build a new rear bumper and it affects how I will build the hitch. The angle iron bumper on the Scamp is pretty skimpy, and a bumper that could also hold some poles or the stinky slinky would be nice. I am thinking thin wall 4” like other trailers, but is there something else out there? Ideas?
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:33 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I'd go 1/8th inch box tubing in a 5 inch size - big enough to hold your stinky with the end fittings on. Also thick enough to get a good weld penetration that would hold your rack.

Plus you can get 5 inch square plastic fence post caps to close off the ends.

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:22 AM   #3

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I'm going to cut it off and put a '57 chevy pickup bumper on, fits the curve perfectly. Putting it in its normal place, just set it on the tire to look.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1403684544.262508.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	72939

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:48 AM   #4

North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
I'm going to cut it off and put a '57 chevy pickup bumper on, fits the curve perfectly. Putting it in its normal place, just set it on the tire to look.
I don't know, it looks pretty good up there on the tire. I actually have a 1957 Chevy truck. But it is a 2 ton Mobile Home Toter and the rear bumper is a piece of angle iron just like the Scamp's. I just happen to have a rear bumper I was saving for my 1968 Chevy pickup though.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:08 AM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I'd go 1/8th inch box tubing in a 5 inch size - big enough to hold your stinky with the end fittings on. Also thick enough to get a good weld penetration that would hold your rack.

Plus you can get 5 inch square plastic fence post caps to close off the ends.

Charlie Y
At about 50 lbs., isn't that heavy tube adding a lot of unnecessary weight to something that isn't all that good an idea in the first place?

Regular 4" square tube bumpers weight about 18 lbs.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:26 AM   #6

North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
At about 50 lbs., isn't that heavy tube adding a lot of unnecessary weight to something that isn't all that good an idea in the first place?

Regular 4" square tube bumpers weight about 18 lbs.
And it seems a little massive looking to me also. I am going to have enough weight back there with the bike racks and bike(s). I may never actually get around to building a new bumper, I just would like to have a plan so the new rear hitch is not in the way of this maybe, possibly, someday project bumper. Come to think of it, I may have just the right piece of 4" square in the junque pile. Or as my daughter calls it, the "treasure trove".
Old 06-25-2014, 08:40 AM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
I have all the stuff gathered up to build my rear mounted receiver hitch for my Scamp so I can mount a bike rack back there. Yes I know all the issues with a bike rack on the back of a trailer but after considering all the options I still think it is the best way for me to go. That said, I have not gone forward with the build as I also want to someday maybe build a new rear bumper and it affects how I will build the hitch. The angle iron bumper on the Scamp is pretty skimpy, and a bumper that could also hold some poles or the stinky slinky would be nice. I am thinking thin wall 4” like other trailers, but is there something else out there? Ideas?
Here's what it might look like if you make a thin walled square tube bumper. Mine has a bumper guard which I made from unistrut and the feet from an old weight bench.
The square tube is simply welded to the original bumper, then covered with black rubber runner.
If you add a receiver, you must add an additional crossmember to the frame and weld the receiver to both the new crossmember and the bumper.
Due to the addition of the square tubing bumper, your bike rack will even more easily clear the spare tire.
This bumper assembly weighs eleven pounds complete and cost me less than the price of the end plugs.
Attached Thumbnails
scamp pictures 015.jpg   DSCF0015.JPG  

scamp pictures 005.jpg  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:29 AM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post

Attachment 72939

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
LOL Jared when at first look without reading your explanation I thought perhaps you were intending to turn your scamp into a bumper car

Timber Wolf, if your worried about adding the extra weight at the extreme end of the scamp re the bike rack etc, you could add a PVC square fence post with caps just ahead of your grey water tank for holding poles or the slinky hose and fittings etc Its still weight behind the axle but closer to it & not much regardless. I have found that set up works well for me and not had clearance issues even though I do travel the back roads (gravel) fairly often.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp