Xantrex power pack with solar panel - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-29-2008, 05:43 PM   #1

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Just noticed this solar power pack made by Xantrex at 50% off on the Canadian Tire web site, and trying to figure out if it's worthwhile. It's basically a 10 Ah battery with a 5W solar panel, inverter, and AC/DC charger.

Our egg doesn't have a battery at the moment, and our needs are basically just running a couple of 12V lights during the evening, which we could most likely convert to LED.

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/245/p/1/pt/32/product.asp

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_...408474396672502

Any thoughts?
Old 02-29-2008, 05:51 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
They look ok for your needs. I had a Compact J and all i used was a motorcycle battery. I only had 2 lights. Very little power was required.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 84 Burro 13 ft
That seems like a very good price. I have used the Winchester (and a 5 watt panel)to jumpstart batteries, to charge my laptop, cellphone, to run a small b&w tv, and to run a trolling motor for a short time. Very handy when needed although I do not always haul it along. I usually take it if I am camping solo - it makes me feel independent.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2007_09_02_029.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	11852
Rusty01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
I picked up this one in the fall for $89.99

I used a much smaller cheap one I bought at Princess Auto last year for $27.99, worked not too bad for just the lights, but if I ran the fan I built all night, along with lights for an hour or so, it really drained the battery, then used my 13Watt solar to charge it. It worked until I left it one time connected to the fridge running on 12volt (oops), and it pretty much killed the battery. I would guess at best it was a 7amp hour battery, but i have a feeling it was a 3.5amp hour battery.

The new setup works real well, the lights are much brighter, and I should be able to leave the fan on at nights without worry.

I have also seen this one for about $80 or $90 when on sale, would give you lots of power as well. Your trailer sounds just like ours, and it is surprising how much juice those little bulbs use.

brendadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:56 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
Quote:
I picked up this one in the fall for $89.99

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_...408474396672502...

I have also seen this one for about $80 or $90 when on sale, ...
Neither of these links go directly to a product. They might work if you happen to have a canadian zip code to input into it but Im guessing most in here do not?
Coach George Jessup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:04 PM   #6

Quote:
I have also seen this one for about $80 or $90 when on sale, would give you lots of power as well. Your trailer sounds just like ours, and it is surprising how much juice those little bulbs use.
Less than 10Ah doesn't seem like much at all. The more I think about it, I am leaning towards just getting a small sealed deep cycle battery, which I can tuck permanently in a corner inside one of the benches. I played with the Xantrex at the store and dislike the fact that you have to throw the whole thing out when the battery dies. And with a more capable battery, I would be way ahead than with that 10Ah battery and wouldn't have to fiddle with that tiny solar panel.

Just gotta wait till this one goes on sale, now.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_...408474396672456

Quote:
Neither of these links work. They might if you happen to have a canadian zip code to input into it?
Apparently you can just enter the sample postal code shown on that page.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:17 PM   #7

Quote:
...(Coachgeo) ..."Apparently you can just enter the sample postal code shown on that page.
welll duhhhhhh

guess I need more coffee!
Old 03-04-2008, 02:22 PM   #8

Quote:
welll duhhhhhh

guess I need more coffee!
well guess the coffee is not helping. I don't see a sample post code on the site the link carries me.

Oh well... nice try though.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:27 PM   #9

Quote:
well guess the coffee is not helping. I don't see a sample post code on the site the link carries me.
Yer right. I guess I should have plugged-in that solar panel before answering.

Seems just any postal code works, though... Try H0H 0H0.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:26 AM   #10

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have several of THESE 17 ah batteries. We use them in one of our products at work and I can scrounge them on occasion...

I also have a few portable solar panels ranging from 2.5 to 7 watts and can (and do) charge them with them. I leave the batteries as portable, taking them where I need them. Right now, they are in my house as a small standby system for a few lights because we are experiencing power outages here.

It would seem cheaper to buy a larger capacity battery and a 5 watt panel than to pay for the pretty package of the Xantrx and have the option of positioning the panel away from the battery.

I used to have them installed in my 13, I didn't sell them with the trailer. I have not yet installed them as aux batteries in the 17, but it's on the "to do" list. I am considering installing them exclusively for my furnace as it seems a bit persnickity about avaible voltages to ignite.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, solar panel