Yet another Trillium TV / DVD player install - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2014, 03:46 PM   #1

Name: Clayton
Trailer: 1975 Trillium
Alberta
Registry
Yet another Trillium TV / DVD player install

I know that there has been a few posts on TV / DVD installs in the past but I finally got around to doing mine this weekend and wanted to share. RCA 19" LED HDMI TV, Sony HDMI upscaling 1080p DVD player and Ikea adjustable TV wall mount. I installed the TV mount on the dinette side of the closet with 3/4" wood on the inside of the closet for support. Next I ran an extension cord from my 2000 watt inverter from the front goucho, under the galley, around the inside of the rear dinette, up through the bottom of the closet then up to the top shelf where the DVD player is located. I wanted the install to be as clean as possible with no exposed cables.
Attached Thumbnails
2.JPG   1.JPG  

3.JPG   4.JPG  

5.JPG   6.JPG  

7.JPG  
Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:14 PM   #2
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Nicely done Clayton!
Sid
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:25 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Florida
Check the back of your TV where the power plugs in. I have a 19" Proscan which is made by RCA. Mine says 12vt I found the right plug that plugs into the TV and ran it to my battery. I put a watt meter on it and it draws less than 30 watts. It plays great in 12 volts more eficient than running it through the inverter.
Mike-N-Laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:33 PM   #4

Alberta
Registry
Hey Mike, my TV does not have the direct 12v compatibility. Also, the extension cord that I ran from the inverter needs to be 24' long. I ran the TV / DVD player for 2 hours today and barely used any power from the battery. I think it's going to work out well.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:55 AM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I have considered a similar install. Do your tow with the TV installed?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:55 AM   #6

Alberta
Registry
Hi David, yes I will be towing the trailer with the TV still mounted. I put a 1" nylon cleat on the wall behind the TV with 3M tape. I then ran a 1" strap through the cleat around the TV. It is very secure.
Attached Thumbnails
1.JPG   2.JPG  

Old 10-06-2014, 12:19 PM   #7

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Clayton,
Great pictures! Thank you for sharing this information with the forum! The pictures are worth a million words. You make this installation seem so easy, that I can do it! Thanks for the encouragement.

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:54 PM   #8

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
I find my LED TV draws very little power through my inverter also. The big power draws are for running a computer, charging a laptop or recharging a cordless battery.

Nice job on your TV install. It looks very professional.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:27 PM   #9

Alberta
Registry
Thanks Conrad, I'm super happy with the install. It actually turned out to be one of the best mods I did this summer.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:17 AM   #10

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
I thought I'd need a strap for my TV, but the locking mechanism on the mount holds in in place nicely. Your IKEA mount looks particularly robust and well secured. In fact I think you have one of the nicest Trillium's. The aluminum wheels look fantastic.

Do you have any other improvements planned?

I'm toying with the idea of a TV antenna. I don't watch much broadcast TV though because of the commercials. It is a cheap option, and I want a telescopic mast for a Ham radio antenna, so perhaps it could do double duty. My camper has an outside cable connector on the side! Why have it there were it can get snagged by a branch or something? Stupid place for it. I suppose some people want an outside TV, but I don't care for the idea.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium