Your thoughts? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2012, 11:17 AM   #1

Name: Cheri
Trailer: Scamp fifth-wheel
North Dakota
Your thoughts?

My husband and I have been doing some thinking on the cabinets in the kitchen and dinette areas of our Scamp 5th wheel. It started out with my husband saying he'd like to put a shelf across the back, above the window and between the two cabinets in the dinette area. I have begun to wonder about just removing all those upper cabinets and replacing them with shelves--of course, with the "stays" necessary to keep stuff from falling out. I like open shelves--they seem homey and friendly to me, and eliminate the endless opening and closing of cupboard doors to find things. He has put some in the loft area and we love them. Other than dust (and messiness, which isn't a problem even with doors on because we carry so little), can you folks think of reasons why we might not want to do this? Thanks for helping us think this through.
Cheri in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
The cabinets are a structural part of the trailer ;-) they help to keep the roof from caving during heavy snow loads.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:50 PM   #3

North Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H
The cabinets are a structural part of the trailer ;-) they help to keep the roof from caving during heavy snow loads.
My husband would be adding structure to the shelves, and he thinks it would allow for that.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We bought a 4 ft section of painted metal wire shelving from Menards. We added a couple of wood supports to the existing side cabinets to support the wire shelving.(cabinets above bed /dinette table in rear of trailer) We travel with the shelf empty and only use it when parked to store light items
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Shelves vs cabinets

That is what our Trillium has and we love the shelves.
Attached Thumbnails
Int-ShadesDown-600x450.jpg  

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:27 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
That is what our Trillium has and we love the shelves.
I like it! What material did you make the shelves from?
Old 10-01-2012, 03:43 PM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I could be wrong, but those look like factory made shelves to me. They are made from fibreglass.

The cushions look familiar as well.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:18 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Well, you must be neater than me! I suppose it depends on how you "decorate" and what you plan on using the shelves for. But, if you store extra TP or socks in those cupboards, you may want to reconsider.

AND, will you have to remove everything before you hookup and go? Either way, I just want to go... not unpack stuff first just to do it and then reload the shelves when I get wherever I'm going. It may be okay if I was going to be parked someplace for a week or so, but an overnight or short weekend... no way.. what a PITA.

YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #9

North Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D.
Well, you must be neater than me! I suppose it depends on how you "decorate" and what you plan on using the shelves for. But, if you store extra TP or socks in those cupboards, you may want to reconsider.

AND, will you have to remove everything before you hookup and go? Either way, I just want to go... not unpack stuff first just to do it and then reload the shelves when I get wherever I'm going. It may be okay if I was going to be parked someplace for a week or so, but an overnight or short weekend... no way.. what a PITA.

YMMV
I wouldn't do this if I thought I would have to load and unload the shelves. It's all about simple and streamlined when we are out in the Scamp! We have never found that things shift much in the cupboards when we travel; I was thinking they probably wouldn't try to fling themselves out if there were just shelves. But maybe I should try taking off the doors that are on them now and see what happens.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:36 PM   #10

North Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D.

YMMV
(By the way, what does YMMV mean?)
Old 10-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Cheri
If you want open shelves in a 5th wheel put them in the front of the trailer over the truck bed where the ride is fairly the smooth. The rear of a Scamp 5er can really get rough. I lost a complete set of new Corelle dishes that was neatly packed and stored in the rear of my 5er at a rail crossing at 3 A.M. one morning. The crossing had just been repaired or so they claimed. The dishes were packed in the second drawer of a three drawer plastic bin under the dinette table. Upon reentry the bottom of second drawer busted and all the pieces were in a neat pile in the bottom drawer. Only one plate survived.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:12 PM   #12

North Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest
Cheri
If you want open shelves in a 5th wheel put them in the front of the trailer over the truck bed where the ride is fairly the smooth. The rear of a Scamp 5er can really get rough. I lost a complete set of new Corelle dishes that was neatly packed and stored in the rear of my 5er at a rail crossing at 3 A.M. one morning. The crossing had just been repaired or so they claimed. The dishes were packed in the second drawer of a three drawer plastic bin under the dinette table. Upon reentry the bottom of second drawer busted and all the pieces were in a neat pile in the bottom drawer. Only one plate survived.
Eddie
I appreciate the advice. I hadn't thought about the difference between the two ends of the 5th. We do have shelves in the loft, and everything stays put so well--hadn't thought about the difference in the ways things ride. Thanks.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #13

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary

What works for me, might not work for you!
Old 10-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #14

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Too each his own. If it works for you and it's safe, do it if it makes you happy. You can always put them back if you change your mind as long as they don't get destroyed in the process.
Personally I like to hide stuff behind doors.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:05 PM   #15

North Dakota
Thanks everyone--this has been helpful.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:20 PM   #16

It's YOUR trailer, do what YOU want
Old 10-01-2012, 10:24 PM   #17

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheri in MN View Post
We have never found that things shift much in the cupboards when we travel; I was thinking they probably wouldn't try to fling themselves out if there were just shelves. But maybe I should try taking off the doors that are on them now and see what happens.
Taking the doors off and giving it a try is a good idea. I have found that as others have suggested the rear of the trailers can be pretty bouncy. A lot depends on how smooth or not the road you are traveling on is. Have had more than a few occasions where items in the rear overhead bins have managed to fling themselves out even with the doors on the bins, even when I have only been on the I5
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:20 PM   #18

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
I'm a newbie and so far, I've just modified my little 13' Scamp in my mind. But I too was thinking of going with the open shelving look. I just think its easier to get things in and out and I too like the look. I like to store things in matching baskets, which I think gives it a cohesive look and keeps things organized. I am thinking about having a bungy that I can hook on before hitting the road-- it would stretch across the the length of the shelf, to keep the baskets from bouncing off the shelves. This would insure the contents stay in place without having to take everything down when traveling. I don't have a cabinet across the rear, so I thought adding an open shelf unit would be easier than making doors for it. Can't wait to get started. I love hearing about everyone elses ideas.
Linda
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:05 AM   #19

North Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters
I'm a newbie and so far, I've just modified my little 13' Scamp in my mind. But I too was thinking of going with the open shelving look. I just think its easier to get things in and out and I too like the look. I like to store things in matching baskets, which I think gives it a cohesive look and keeps things organized. I am thinking about having a bungy that I can hook on before hitting the road-- it would stretch across the the length of the shelf, to keep the baskets from bouncing off the shelves. This would insure the contents stay in place without having to take everything down when traveling. I don't have a cabinet across the rear, so I thought adding an open shelf unit would be easier than making doors for it. Can't wait to get started. I love hearing about everyone elses ideas.
Linda
I, too, use the matching baskets to store things in the cupboards for just the reasons you mentioned, and I plan to continue doing that with shelves. I like the bungee idea for traveling. Keep us posted on your modifications! Nice to have you with us.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #20

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0122.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	241.7 KB
ID:	51651

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0123.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	304.0 KB
ID:	51652

I installed overhead shelve around the back and sides. Problem as you have, on bumpy rds or hwys the trailer wants to bounce the heaver item out and onto the bed. So went with lighter items on the back shelf and installed bungies, problem 99 % solved.

Ron
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote