Zero Breeze 2 Air Conditioner - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-27-2021, 06:13 AM   #1

Name: E. Jane
Trailer: Trillium 1980 1300 Deluxe
Massachusetts
Zero Breeze 2 Air Conditioner

Wondered if anyone has used this Zero Breeze 2 in a 13 ft Camper? Definitely looking at the version 2 which seems like an improvement since the original first version.

We are new owners of a 1980 1300 Trillium deluxe and are looking for possible AC options without doing any cutting or permanent installing.

Thanks

https://www.zerobreeze.com/
jbclabaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 01:37 PM   #2

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Not a good application. These look like they are for spot cooling and not for cooling an area, ie blows cool air at a person, but the hot air from the compressor stays in the zone and is in a closed area would just make it hotter overall where the cooling stream is not pointed.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:06 PM   #3

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
With vent kit zero breese says it will cool a trailer. We are considering it without their battery for our trailer. One set of pipes out hot end through wall and big front pipe out side of cupboard placed in boot. They have pipe hole covering avaliable Run off of shore power, solar setup or regulater from battery. The older unit looked better because it was 12v and tried to get it thought, 2 units one at each end of trailer they had less output so 2 would have worked. They are very light weight.
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:10 PM   #4

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
One drawback of a portable AC that has just the exhaust for the hot air is that it pulls hot air from outside to replace the expelled hot air.
Still not a good choice and expensive as well.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:48 PM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I suspect it might work OK in a very small camper IF you use the heat exhaust pipe and window adapter, and add the drain line to the outside (that makes it more or less a semi-permanent installation). And also use it on shore power / generator. Battery operation is only a few hours and then you have to have power to recharge the battery so shore power is pretty much a requirement. However its only 2300 BTUs and some people with 5,000 BTU window units say that its not enough, or its barely enough. For comparison, my roof A/C is 13,500 and thats too much. Lastly, its about fourteen times the price of a 5,000 window unit and maybe 70% more expensive than a roof unit. All in all there are a many better options.
gordon2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 03:38 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Zero Breeze says their unit is rated at 2,300 BTUs. This compares to about 11,000 to 15,000 BTU for most RV air conditioners. So, the Zero Breeze has less than 1/4 the cooling capacity of a standard RV AC unit.

It draws 10 amps at 24 volts. That would require some specific wiring in order to operate from the trailer battery. Converting 12 volt power from the trailer battery to 24 volt to operate the Zero Breeze would require a step-up transformer.

In broad terms you might get about two and a half hours of operation from a single conventional lead-acid 100-amp-hour 12-volt battery, probably somewhat less.

Or, it could apparently be run off of their shore-power adaptor. The transformer brick on their power supply has a limited cord length to the air conditioner to handle the high 24-volt current, so the brick would likely end up inside the space that you are trying to cool.

Either their power supply or a step-up transformer will produce heat, further limiting the cooling capacity.

It is low capacity unit, not inexpensive, and operating it would require making suitable provisions to power it and to provide ventilation.

I strongly suspect that purchasing this unit would not be a very satisfactory experience as the cooling capacity and duration would be very limited.

The reviews on their web site describe some additional limitations users have encountered which you should also consider.

Quote:
Tip: Due to the Mark 2 portable and low power consumption features, with 2300 BTU cooling capacity, The Mark 2 can cool down a single target in the open outdoors or overall cool down the bedroom area of an RV or truck at night for a comfortable sleep. It is not recommended to replace the family room air conditioning for the overall space cooling or applied to the car under the sun, cabin, and other space cooling.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 04:04 PM   #7

Name: Darryl
Trailer: Bigfoot
Wisconsin
1978 Scamp fitted with 7K btu External AC

The TrippLite AC was fitted with a return air plenum, which dramatically increased efficiency of cooling with dehumidification. The TrippLite thermostat was extended to run through the IN air duct to the far corner of the Scamp interior. The AC as been tested over the past two summers in Midwest mid 90s temperatures with high humidity. It does not run short cycle and dehumidifies well. A significant benefit is very quick cooling and low noise, limiting added sound to just the air moving from the air ducts.
This is the final of three earlier versions. Adding the return air plenum in this final version made a huge improvement in performance.
Attached Thumbnails
3EEEA80F-9594-4764-8644-E22831A1FAA2.jpg   A7B3E0E5-2CA4-4DB9-A842-79111E8B8607.jpg  

22E11A57-C20D-48DC-8B7E-22A3999F9C46.jpg   DFAA89BB-DC53-4C7A-A320-7D34B459CEE0.jpg  

DarrylScamp78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 08:15 PM   #8

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
One drawback of a portable AC that has just the exhaust for the hot air is that it pulls hot air from outside to replace the expelled hot air.
Still not a good choice and expensive as well.
The new zero breeze 2 is 24v dc, 2.5k unit. It has two pipes on hot side, is real ac, air intake is below cold exhaust on cold side. It's not a swampy and is only 16.5 lbs without battery or 18 lbs with. It is worth looking at but it is expensive also would need to have 24v power worked out. Plus is it would work without shore power!

Newest lithium batteries are half the weight so 2 @ 12v to make 24v, some of the best solar units are 24v, would want a 120v to 24v unit as well for shore power. All add weight and cost to project.

Old prior unit was 12v with half the out put.
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:21 AM   #9

Massachusetts
Thanks for sharing your setup. Looks like a creative solution. I had thought of the unit outside, but hadn't figured how to keep it under shelter. You have that figured out.
Old 08-05-2021, 06:25 AM   #10

Massachusetts
Zero Breeze

If anyone bite the bullet and gives it the zero breeze a try, please share... I just am not ready to take a chance on this. I did see a nice ac/heater desktop/counter portable on ebay that was 3000btu and smaller than the typical portable standup air conditioner. The person who was selling it had found it on ebay from china last year. It went so quick, I was in the process of asking the seller a question and it was gone. Sorry to have missed it. I keep looking.
Old 08-17-2021, 02:40 PM   #11

Massachusetts
This is a clever solution. The noise would be outside, as well as the heat from the unit. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-18-2021, 10:36 AM   #12

Name: Will
Trailer: truck camper
Texas
I was very interested in one of these units. There are videos all over YT. Seemed like a lot of money for it's limited performance. It's pretty much for spot cooling, not area cooling. I currently have a fiberglass slide-in utility body on a 2008 Tacoma and I'm in the hot humid area of Conroe TX.
For only $300 at HD, I bought a 7000 btu portable unit that fits perfectly in the left rear corner of the shell. The exhaust hose fits the 6" diameter hatch in the left rear barn door. It will FREEZE you out in that shell, and it's pretty quiet. It was the perfect solution for me.
Right now I'm in search of a FG trailer so I can stay long term in a park. They don't like my current rig.
Will Nale is offline   Reply With Quote