Zombie Boler - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-16-2020, 08:28 AM   #21

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Sunrader
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Frye View Post
Today I put in 200 square feet of foil insulation which required a gallon of contact adhesive. Fun stuff. Of course I though a gallon would be more than enough to do the insulation and the bulkhead covering. Nope! I still have the put the insulation in the overhead compartments and under the beds. Then put in the bulkhead covering. So I ordered more adhesive through Amazon. Prime is paying for it self this year.
Hey Eric, cool build! You're right, a lot of similarities between this one and my Sunrader build.

Question for you: how did you find working with the contact cement on the fibreglass? Did you surface prep the FG first by sanding/rouging it? Did you use the low-VOC contact cement or the heavy duty solvent-based stuff? I have a similar glue-on idea I want to use cork underlayment as an insulative wall panel in my cabover bed area.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:02 AM   #22

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
TN
Registry
I started by sanding the surface with 60 grit on a orbital sander to rough up the surface and remove most of the old glue. Once that was done I wiped everything down with Xylene, the recommended cleaner form Weldwood. Then I sprayed DAP Weldwood contact adhesive Landou Top and trim. It does require a respirator while working inside the camper but overall it is a pretty easy to use. I bought an $18 HF paint spray gun with 2mm tip and it worked great. The can said it would cover up to 220 sq/ft and I got just about that done. I still have about 80 sq/ft to insulate and then I have to put the same number of sq/ft of bulkhead carpet up. Before I done I will have used approximately 3 gallons.
Eric Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:56 PM   #23

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Alberta
Registry
Wow Eric! Great job so far - lots of work and I'm interested in seeing your final floor plan and how you configure the kitchen and bath...

Keep it up and keep posting pics!
Old 10-17-2020, 08:59 PM   #24

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Alberta
Registry
Also - have you been logging and posting your Airstream rebuild? If you have a link, it would be interesting to see that too...
Old 10-17-2020, 10:24 PM   #25

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Sunrader
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Frye View Post
I started by sanding the surface with 60 grit on a orbital sander to rough up the surface and remove most of the old glue. Once that was done I wiped everything down with Xylene, the recommended cleaner form Weldwood. Then I sprayed DAP Weldwood contact adhesive Landou Top and trim. It does require a respirator while working inside the camper but overall it is a pretty easy to use. I bought an $18 HF paint spray gun with 2mm tip and it worked great. The can said it would cover up to 220 sq/ft and I got just about that done. I still have about 80 sq/ft to insulate and then I have to put the same number of sq/ft of bulkhead carpet up. Before I done I will have used approximately 3 gallons.
Thanks for the thorough feedback, Eric. I'll let you know how it goes with my cork application.
Old 10-18-2020, 04:53 AM   #26

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
TN
Registry
Thanks Andrew. I haven't quite nailed down the galley layout yet. Due to the curve of the shell and the window layout I opted for a 12volt chest refrigerator which presents a unique installation challenge. Option one requires a large sliding drawer to access the fridge. Option two would be a fixed position for the fridge with a section of the counter top that has to flip up to access the fridge. Option two would also move the fridge to the curbside. You can see from the floor plan the basic layout with option one.

And here is a link to the Argosy "Love Shack"

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f22...ck-183431.html

[IMG]floor plan by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]
Eric Frye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler