MN 2021 May 6,7,8: Mille Lacs Kathio - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2020, 09:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
2021 May 6,7,8: Mille Lacs Kathio

https://reservemn.usedirect.com/MinnesotaWeb/

Scrambled Eggs will gather again at Mille Lacs Kathio State Park, Petaga Campground, on May 6,7,8 2021.

As I post there are about 5 electric sites available. All non electric are open.

The Mother ship will be the meeting area, Site 40.

Sure hope we have an immunization by then. Keep safe everyone.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 11:38 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Why so few electric sites? Or are all you veteran campers hoarding them?
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 12:17 PM   #3

Wayne,

It is a small park with only 21 electric sites. It is usually full a year in advance and I am surprised there are still 5 sites.

I think Covid and the cold weather this week have discouraged people.

Nancy
Old 05-29-2020, 08:32 AM   #4

Name: Carolyn
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Rallie kathio may2021

Is there a rallie for may 2021.kathio who's running it any schedual
CarolynG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 09:17 AM   #5

Name: Carolyn
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Hi Nancy,hope you are well ,happen to see rallie for may 6-8 2021 kathio,just called and got 45 e across from bathroom today's reservation done.sept gone on travels to Maine depending on Canada opening.,june18-21 2020 travels to Ely if opening,my brother will stay at my home to care for it.Thinking on putting on gaurd in front for rocks but looking for other scampers who done this and what they used.Got to go may see scampers on the road,well until may take care ....bye
CarolynG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 09:44 AM   #6

Hi Carolyn,

There is no one person in charge. I just post that we gather.

We normally have music in the evening, bring music if so inclined. We normally eat together a few times. (Normally one community pot luck, other times food provided)

I have no idea what the new normal will be. Many of us are in a high risk group and only time will let us know what kind of normal there might be.

Hopefully in 11 months we will be able to gather.

Nancy
Old 11-03-2020, 11:06 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Reservation issue

Hello,
On the registration calendar for this link I wasn't able to access beyond March 31, 2021. What am I missing?

Thanks,
Glenn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post

Scrambled Eggs will gather again at Mille Lacs Kathio State Park, Petaga Campground, on May 6,7,8 2021.

As I post there are about 5 electric sites available. All non electric are open.

The Mother ship will be the meeting area, Site 40.

Sure hope we have an immunization by then. Keep safe everyone.

Nancy
Glenn Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 02:03 PM   #8

Hi Glenn,

Shortly after we reserved back in May the Minnesota State Park system no longer allowed reservations a year in advance.

Since Covid I have not paid attention to how the new reservation system works. Have to check, may be 3 months before date you want to reserve.

Hopefully we will feel comfortable gathering in May. You are certainly welcome. If the electric sites are full there are usually non electric available. Kathio also has a primitive campground down the road that is never full. You would then need to drive to our campground to participate.

Personally I would not reserve. If Covid is still raging there will be lots of us canceling. If I wanted to attend I would wing it and settle for a non electric site.

Please do come join us if you are able. We are all eager to gather again, let’s hope we can.

Nancy
Old 02-02-2021, 01:45 PM   #9

Bringing this back to the top. Reservation system shows all electric sites taken.

Hopefully we will be able to gather May, 6,7,8.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:05 PM   #10

Covid Immunizations

A lot of us are still waiting for our immunization shots.

There is some caution about who is willing to come. Minds change as time goes by.

We hope we can.....
Old 02-25-2021, 04:26 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
IF we are able to travlel, in early May, we'll probably join the Pink Elephant group in Iowa, that same week end.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 09:28 AM   #12

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
We'd certainly love to come but rather doubt the border will be open by then. We're anxious to visit our family in KS as well, although Beth did fly down for a birth there in Feb. but what a hassle getting home and the quarantine earlier this month!

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 03:32 PM   #13

Name: Kurt
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
I have never been to one of these rallies. What am I to expect. Is there an itinerary. What should I bring.. I already have reservations.
Casita303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:55 AM   #14

Hello Kurt,

I see you are from Colorado. Welcome. If you are not familiar with Northern Minnesota weather you will want to know that this is very early in the season. We never know what to expect regarding the weather.

This gathering will be quite different from our usual gathering. Normally we do a lot of eating together. This time the participants I have been in touch with do not want to do pot luck or breakfast. We still plan to do popcorn. We will pre pop the corn and have it in bags, instead of everyone using the scoop and having an open container of popcorn.

If you are musical bring your instrument or voice. The musicians will not share their microphones this year, so anyone who needs one needs to provide their own. We also don’t know how the music time will work out because many of us do not want to gather in a large group.

There really is no schedule, especially this year. Always at our gathering there is nothing expected from people attending.

Minnesota State parks do not have water at each site. There is a community source. However it may not be turned on Thursday when many of us arrive. The park told us it will be turned on that weekend.

Also as of now they will not have the warming house open for campers. We have used that building in the past if the weather was too nasty to meet outside.

Be aware that the UK Covid variant is moving through Minnesota now. This gathering will be quite different. We are trying to think of how to not have a large crowd together at one time. Many of us are vaccinated. We will still be wearing masks. Bring your mask to site 40 and visit with us. Bring your lawn chair along. Usually you also need to bring eating utensils and a drink. Since we won’t be doing community meals it will also be to bring your own picnic food.

It has been a year and a half since any of us have seen each other. We feel just being able to see each other in small groups and spaced apart is better than no contact at all. I am sorry your first time with us will be a rather different type of gathering.

Nancy
Old 04-14-2021, 09:02 AM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I would take Nancy’s advice seriously. We live a little North and East of Mille Lacs lake and this morning we woke up to 25 deg and the ground covered in snow . The winds off Mille Lacs Lake in the Spring can be brisk and rather chilling so as the book says “ Bring Warm Clothes “
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 04:03 PM   #16

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post

Well, I couldn't be more excited! I'm heading east to attend our daughter's graduation (eastern PA) and to move her (and her stuff) west to wherever she finds a job. (Road trip for me, time with my daughter!) Figured I'd make it fun for me by exploring on the way the only three states I've never seen before: MN, WI and MI. Imagine my excitement to see an FRV gathering along my route, give or take, and within my time frame, give or take.

I can't stay long, so I'll just be there the night of May 6, relaxing 'til checkout or so on May 7, then carrying on toward the U.P. I have no problem wearing a mask, will be traveling from our rural home (yes, we have those in California) through boondock and outback camp sites, fishing and relaxing without company 'til I get to you. I'm half vaxxed (age-qualifying came too late to squeeze in the second vax before departure), and fine with socially distancing (though I'll miss the potluck - nothing like a good potluck)!

Yes, I'm a California kid, but I lived several years in Utah and have SOME idea what cold is (though I've never experienced MN winter cold). I'll be packing a Little Buddy heater and extra blankets for the overnights, a lot of hot chocolate, parka, snow shoes, gloves, hat, cables for the TV just in case push comes to shove. Will have fishing license on me and hoping to catch dinner if there's any good fishing nearby.

Thanks for organizing!

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there." - The Bills
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 04:04 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenPB View Post

I can't stay long, so I'll just be there the night of May 6

Also, if most folks cancel, will you please let me know with a personal message? Not sure I'll be able to access this forum on the road. We'll see how the charging system and connectivity works. If folks bop out, I can slow myself down and rearrange a bit to enjoy another site elsewhere.

Thanks!

Old 04-18-2021, 08:35 PM   #18

Jen,

Surface snow is pretty much gone. Snowshoes not necessary😊.

Just noticed you have a compact. Don’t think we have had one of those at our gatherings.

You will not need to rush out on the 7th. I think there is a parking area where you can park before leaving the camping area. Opposite end of park from site 40.

You will not see much green here or on the way across UP.

N
Old 04-21-2021, 01:20 AM   #19

Registry
Thanks, Nancy! Looking forward to meeting you in MN!
Space 51 Thursday night, if I don't freeze to death on my way there.

Old 04-30-2021, 07:34 AM   #20

Water

Good news. A note from Kathio.

As of this week the water to restrooms and dump station has been turned on.

Looking forward to socially distanced visiting.

Nancy