OR FYI-Oregon state Parks - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 12:00 PM   #21

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Can somebody please show evidence of Washington the State charging non-residents more? I haven't read about it but I will look again at the park site.

And I also thought it was backwards--that Oregon did fund their parks partly out of the general fund, and my state, Warshington, does not.

Do Oregon state parks also still have free showers?
Old 05-04-2021, 12:06 PM   #22

Washington
Here is the link. Nothing is said about out of state residents paying more. I've asked before on this forum and nobody ever referenced where they are getting the info about paying more if from out of state.

https://parks.state.wa.us/166/Camping-fees
Old 05-04-2021, 12:11 PM   #23

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpat View Post
Can somebody please show evidence of Washington the State charging non-residents more? I haven't read about it but I will look again at the park site.

And I also thought it was backwards--that Oregon did fund their parks partly out of the general fund, and my state, Warshington, does not.

Do Oregon state parks also still have free showers?
Found on the Washington State Parks website: https://parks.state.wa.us/168/Reservation-fees
Click image for larger version

Name:	WA-State-NonResidenceFees.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	140703

And showers are free at Oregon State Parks. AND there are NO pay toilets throughout the state.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:19 PM   #24

Washington
Thank you Donna. I live in Warshington and apologize for the tacking on of fees. But, looks like there is no extra charge if you can snag a site without a reservation.

I truly despise the whole concept of having to think ahead and reserve a site. Heck, it was only 10 years ago that I never did reserve spots and had no problems finding them on weekdays on THE COAST campgrounds of both states.

It makes me sad and angry as spontaneity is whittled away. Sigh.

I am leaving in a few hours to go to a state park where as of Sunday night, there were very few sites left and I had to make the horrible reservation. My cost for a electric and water site is $35 and will be more later in the month. Yet people flock to the campgrounds so guess I'm out of date.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:22 PM   #25

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Change is inevitable in our lives. The secret sauce is to be adaptable. Maybe some state parks, some private parks, BLM, COE, county parks, city parks and on and on is our new camping style. I'm grateful for choices...
Old 05-04-2021, 01:01 PM   #26

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
When I go to the doctor or dentist or get my truck serviced or go out to eat at a popular restaurant or have my pontoon boat / trailer worked on , etc , etc, I have to make an appointment or reservation. I don’t expect them to hold a spot open for me just in case I decide I need their services .
We are headed out for a 3 week journey and knowing back in February that campsites were filling up fast , we made and paid to reserve campsites
Reservations are becoming the new reality due to demand .
It is what it is and I am no more entitled to a campsite than anyone else .
Old 05-04-2021, 01:30 PM   #27

Washington
I guess I'm just selfish because I would like the government run campgrounds to have at least a third of their spots for the few of us who are spontaneous.

One of my go to, no frills campgrounds went to 100% Reservation due to Covid and I doubt they'll go back to having one loop first come, first served.

I have made a list of alternatives, and I will NOT post them on the internet. It is for my selfish use only. When those become unusable, I guess it is time to sell the trailer and quit.

Bicycle touring looks doable and spontaneous.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:36 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpat View Post
I guess I'm just selfish because I would like the government run campgrounds to have at least a third of their spots for the few of us who are spontaneous.

Which will cost everybody more, since they have to maintain empty sites in case you feel spontaneous.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:24 AM   #29
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
When I go to the doctor or dentist or get my truck serviced or go out to eat at a popular restaurant or have my pontoon boat / trailer worked on , etc , etc, I have to make an appointment or reservation. I don’t expect them to hold a spot open for me just in case I decide I need their services .
Do they charge for those reservations? They don't here in Vermont. Though it won't suprise me when they do considering they need to hire someone to call people to remind them they have an appointment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Which will cost everybody more, since they have to maintain empty sites in case you feel spontaneous.
No, first come first served doesn't mean empty. The sites fill when people arrive. And on the west coast, I doubt that's a problem. The sites are still paid for. Only Reserve America loses. And all those reserved sites that are empty may support the bottom line of the campground but do nothing for the local economy. And one added benefit is if you wish to stay longer, you're not going to get chased out. Iowa has figured that out. Twenty five percent fcfs.
Closed Thread