OR FYI-Oregon state Parks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2021, 11:01 AM   #1
Commercial Member

Trailer: We have had all the brands at least once.
FYI-Oregon state Parks

"You don’t even need to have caught COVID-19 to be affected by it. Oregon officials say during the pandemic, revenue dropped from the state’s lottery and other areas. Affected by the cash-flow were Oregon’s state parks. To jack up income, state park officials jacked up rates on non-resident RVers who used park facilities. It worked so well, a bill in the Oregon legislature would make it permanent, forcing non-residents to pay a 25% higher fee than the locals. Nearly half those camping in Oregon’s parks are from out-of-state. Projections are that the fee hike, if turned into law, will cause about 8% of non-residents to turn a “thumbs down” on camping there."
Old 04-25-2021, 11:16 AM   #2

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
I just randomly checked a few Oregon camping sites and tent sites are between $17 and $19 and full hookups are between $33 and $36

Does that seem like an unreasonable nightly camping fee to people?

In MN, I remember most parks were in the $25 range with no hookups, so this seems great to me.

I see here in MA that standard non electric sites are $17, so I see it's pretty much the same as the $17-19 tent sites on OR.
Old 04-25-2021, 12:02 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Trailer: We have had all the brands at least once.
Oregon state park fees

Alan,

I totally agree with you and I am not a Oregon resident either but love to camp in their parks. The increase isn't a deciding factor for us at all. We still feel they are reasonable for their well kept parks and services. I know it is a important factor for some people. Given the choice of park closures or paying a bit more we will gladly pay the additional fees.

Deb
Old 04-25-2021, 12:41 PM   #4
tua

Name: Traveler
Trailer: Happier Camper
Utah
Non-Resident State Park Camping Fees

The list of states that charge non-residents extra fees at state campgrounds:

Arkansas
Florida (50% senior discount to Florida residents only)
Michigan
Montana
New York
Oregon
Tennessee (All state residents get a discount, non-residents pay full price)
Washington
Wisconsin
Wyoming

This list was started several months ago and now has a thread under "Camping" that can be added to as other states that add a fee for non-residents are discovered.
Old 04-26-2021, 10:43 AM   #5

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
I think they all read the same municipal finance trade journal.
Yes, still a good deal. Hopefully lottery proceeds pick back up soon, as they're a key funding source for the state parks.
Old 04-27-2021, 04:06 PM   #6

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Nothing new here. All of the "blue states" don't know how to fiscally manage anything that isn't based on a "tax and spend" mentality. It seems that's all they're capable of, or know how to do, to make things work. I know first-hand, I unfortunately live in one of those states myself.
Old 04-27-2021, 04:25 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Nothing new here. All of the "blue states" don't know how to fiscally manage anything that isn't based on a "tax and spend" mentality.

I think your MAGA hat is too uptight.
Old 04-27-2021, 04:30 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Nothing new here. All of the "blue states" don't know how to fiscally manage anything that isn't based on a "tax and spend" mentality. It seems that's all they're capable of, or know how to do, to make things work. I know first-hand, I unfortunately live in one of those states myself.
Over the years Oregon has done a FAR better job of managing our state parks than Washington State ever has. IF the pandemic hadn't happened, we'd be doing just fine. NO tax dollars are spent on the Oregon State Parks. Washington can't say that, ever. IF Washington State could figure it out, their parks would be just as nice and well maintained as Oregon, but they haven't. Washington State priced me out years ago. Don't compare Washington State with Oregon!

The department's chief sources of funding are the Oregon Lottery, state park user fees. and recreation vehicle license fees. ... As of 2012, 7.5 percent of lottery revenues in Oregon were dedicated to state and local parks, leading to new park acquisitions and a reduced backlog of maintenance at existing parks.

Oregon State Parks announces layoffs amid $22 million budget shortfall
https://www.oregonlive.com/travel/20...shortfall.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Chuck View Post
Projections are that the fee hike, if turned into law, will cause about 8% of non-residents to turn a “thumbs down” on camping there."
That really doesn't sound so bad. Oregon State Parks are nationally very popular. I hope it doesn't stop my out-of-state friends from coming and enjoying everything Oregon has to offer.
Old 04-27-2021, 06:23 PM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
We’ve camped in numerous Oregon State Parks and have nothing but good things to say .
Living in Wisconsin, where our state government stripped the state parks of all state funding , Oregon looks like a shining example of good governance IMHO
Parks are not a red vs blue or a us vs them issue unless your wearing a red MAGA hat
Old 04-28-2021, 07:30 AM   #10

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
I think that some of you misunderstood what I was talking about. I wasn't bashing Oregon State Parks, and you're right Donna, Washington State, (aka "my state", about which I was referring,) has failed miserably, as have most things in this state. That is what I was referring to. Maybe I wasn't making myself clear, but it wasn't a slam against Oregon. I like Oregon Parks.
(And Glenn, my MAGA hat fits just fine.)
Old 04-28-2021, 10:28 AM   #11

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Not a resident vs. tourist issue, but cost are going up:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...fees-1.6003671
Old 04-28-2021, 12:38 PM   #12

Trailer: 1993 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft / 2002 GMC Safari SLT
Oregon has probably the best park system in the USA. I would propose perhaps creating say a yearly membership that is sold to non-residence that gives them residence fees at parks. Perhaps that membership fee could be say $150. This fee would encourage people to come to Oregon even though many would not possible benefit from the total cost but showing appreciation for an excellent park system.

I was a resident and home owner in Oregon City for 30 years. Moved to California for 11 years and moved to Texas. California State Parks are not of the quality of Oregon parks. They do have a $150 yearly park pass mainly for park entry and parking. I felt it worthy fee as I was kayaking and needed a place to park as I hit the lake or river.

In Texas thus far I haven't been to any of their State Parks so I can't address.
Old 05-01-2021, 10:33 AM   #13

Trailer: Pop-up
As far as Montana is concerned your list is a little misleading. In Montana resident rates are reduced or eliminated, but we play a fee that goes to our state parks every time we register our motor vehicles.
Old 05-01-2021, 10:45 AM   #14

Name: Robert
Trailer: Oliver
California
Oregon State Park Fees

We just returned from Harris Beach State Park in Brookings, OR having used this beautiful park as a base to see the redwoods. We paid $32/night for full hookups, ocean views and spotless shared facilities.

Each fall we camp with a large group at El Capitan State Park north of Santa Barbara, CA. With the exception of both parks being coastal the two parks couldn’t be more different. El Capitan offers no hookups, the restrooms function at about 50% capacity and the showers are a mechanical and biological experiment. $65/night.

My home state has lost control of what once was an enviable resource. If increased rates and/or non resident rates is the answer I’m all for it. Sadly, I question if the additional revenue from a modern fee structure would fall into the right budget.

Oregon has become the gold standard for us in terms of management and value.
Old 05-01-2021, 03:27 PM   #15

Name: Daniel
Trailer: 1994 Casita 16 Liberty
Washington
Paying to much

A lot of people like a fair price and unlike Glenn Bagio I agree with Casita Greg=we don't like tax thieves. Have a nice day!!
Old 05-01-2021, 03:45 PM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAG View Post
A lot of people like a fair price and unlike Glenn Bagio I agree with Casita Greg=we don't like tax thieves. Have a nice day!!
The title of this thread is about the Oregon State Parks which are NOT supported by tax payer dollars. So if you want to bash your own State of Washington, perhaps you should open a new thread....
Old 05-01-2021, 04:22 PM   #17

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
There's a difference between being taxed vs being charged a usage fee. I do not believe that Oregon has a sales tax. But residents do pay property taxes and income taxes.

The upkeep of these parks are not insignificant. Per Deb & Chuck's post, the pandemic has affected access to recreation areas. Revenue loss did not reduce the finances required for park management. As a Californian who frequents Oregon, I have no problem paying more in fees for the privalege of accessing these grounds.
Old 05-01-2021, 04:35 PM   #18

NW Wisconsin
Many people only tolerate two types of taxes / fees

1) The ones that are imposed on others
2) The ones that directly benefit them
Old 05-04-2021, 10:42 AM   #19

Name: Ervin
Trailer: Moby 1 Teardrop
Oregon
Quote:
Jeez, when did Montana, Wisconsin, Tennessee, Wyoming, Michigan, Arkansas, and Florida turn blue? Who knew? No wonder Joe won in a landslide. These are the states that do exactly what Oregon is doing. And you cheapskates from Washington come over the border to Oregon to avoid paying state taxes. The Costco in NE Portland is considered to be the busiest retail store per square foot in the nation. And let’s not get into federal tax revenue from blue vs red states.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:13 AM   #20

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin in Portland View Post
Jeez, when did Montana, Wisconsin, Tennessee, Wyoming, Michigan, Arkansas, and Florida turn blue? Who knew? No wonder Joe won in a landslide. These are the states that do exactly what Oregon is doing. And you cheapskates from Washington come over the border to Oregon to avoid paying state taxes. The Costco in NE Portland is considered to be the busiest retail store per square foot in the nation. And let’s not get into federal tax revenue from blue vs red states.
I agree in principle with your post . It does seem strange that the people who complain the most about the Federal Government and Federal taxes live in states that get back far more Federal funds than they pay in Federal taxes
BUT Calling Casita Greg and the citizens of Washington State “ CHEAPSKATES “ is uncalled for IMHO
Closed Thread