Anyone ever do this - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2015, 08:17 PM   #1

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Anyone ever do this

I ran across this interesting cooking idea today. I think I'm going to give it a try after I do some shopping. Would sure be a neat way to take cake camping with us.

She Fills Old Jars With Fruit And Oil. Minutes Later? I’m Never Baking Again! - LittleThings.com
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:20 AM   #2

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
I'm a bit puzzled. Why mess about with packing stuff in jars to bake when you could use a regular pan. Neither way is any good to us as we don't have an oven!!
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:40 AM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I think the idea is to cook at home and take the cooked cake on the road.. The jar protects the cake from being flattened??? The problem I'd have would be the cake would be eaten long before we hit the road. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:41 PM   #4

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel in Sk View Post
I'm a bit puzzled. Why mess about with packing stuff in jars to bake when you could use a regular pan. Neither way is any good to us as we don't have an oven!!
I think the idea is to cook at home and take the cooked cake on the road.. The jar protects the cake from being flattened??? The problem I'd have would be the cake would be eaten long before we hit the road. Raz

Yes,the idea ...at least for me....would be to cook them at home and take them camping. My thought would be that way my cake would not get crushed and would take up less room. I do agree that I don't think they would make it all the way to camp.I also think my grandkids would enjoy eating cake in a jar.
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:45 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Aren't convenience stores everywhere for this very purpose?
Old 01-23-2015, 08:50 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Didn't realize convenience stores now sell cake in a jar. I'll have to look for it... LOL
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:26 PM   #7

Ding Dongs. No jar. Unbreakable.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:12 PM   #8

Name: walmart
Trailer: 2006 casita 17' spirit deluxe
California
Looks simple enough for me.
walmart jonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:28 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Interesting. But I have a microwave in my trailer and have several recipes for cake in a mug. Want fruit, jam a piece of peach into the batter. Microwave according to the instructions. There you are Done!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:57 PM   #10

Name: Zac & Cathy
Trailer: Burro & 2006 21ft. BigFoot
California
Registry
I've made banana nut bread and apple spiced cake in a jar. Also regular old bread in a jar. Then as soon as it comes out of the oven you place the lid on and screw the ring around it. Within a couple of min. you begin to hear the lids popping and that lets you know that they are sealed and then safe for a short week or two of storage. The one thing I can tell you is that you must find Masson Jars that are straight up & down and use real butter to line jars before
cooking. This really works great. I just canned some chicken breast about a week ago, so we can use it when we go camping for shredded chicken tacos, chicken salad, chicken & rice. Really anything that you would use chicken in and they will store for up to a year. They taste better than any you could buy at the store too.
Avey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:01 AM   #11

California
Registry
I forgot to tell you that when your ready to eat your cake or bread you just run a small knife around it and it slides right out. Easy
Old 01-24-2015, 06:29 AM   #12

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Thank you Lynn. Looks so easy a cave man could do it.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:09 AM   #13
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avey View Post
......... I just canned some chicken breast about a week ago, so we can use it when we go camping for shredded chicken tacos, chicken salad, chicken & rice. Really anything that you would use chicken in and they will store for up to a year. They taste better than any you could buy at the store too.
I've done boiling water bath canning for pickles, sauerkraut, etc. but never cared for canned vegetables so I never got into pressure canning. I know folks who regularly can beef, poultry, and the occasional venison. They say it's very, very good. I'm sure that's true because they have never offered to share. Raz

p.s. Hey Glenn, when is the last time you had a Ding Dong??
Old 01-24-2015, 07:27 AM   #14

Name: carleen
Trailer: On epic search for Eriba
Texas
Thank you for sharing this. I'm trying it today.

The other tips for cooking in jars also much appreciated!
carleene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
p.s. Hey Glenn, when is the last time you had a Ding Dong??
Probably 55 years ago.
They stopped making them a few years ago didn't they, or was that another like product.
But, I understand that if you bought one at that time, it would still be inedible. No typo.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:50 PM   #16

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Cathy (Avey)---can you elaborate on the method you use for canning your chicken breasts?

One thing I find a challenge is the storage of meat (raw/frozen) in our tiny freezer compartment...usually necessitating a trip to the store about every 2nd day. Being able to bring bottled meat might be one solution.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:07 AM   #17

Name: carleen
Trailer: On epic search for Eriba
Texas
I tried the recipe yesterday and amazingly delicious! Everyone in my family love, loved it. I made two batches, one with reduced sugar, closer to a 1/4 cup and it still tasted great.

I would also like more info on how Cathy does chicken.
carleene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:03 AM   #18

California
Registry
Hi, when you can things like vegetables and meat you need a canning pressure cooker. I need to stay away from soidum so a few years ago I picked one up, and have used it alot since. But it works great with all meat, even pre- cooked hambugar meat.
And you can be sure that right before my next trip I'm going to make up bread and cakes in mason jars in my oven and seal them up. I keep wondering if I made my stuff up a head of time in my jars and when cooled placed them in the freezer then take them out right before we leave to take with us, could I extend their shelf life. I have keep a jar of bread at home for an experiment in my pantry for five years to see just how long it would last before it started to grow mold. Still waiting! I won't ever eat it and some day I'll through it a way. So as far as keeping bread and cakes fresh and good tasting, I would give them a few weeks up to maybe a couple of months before the flavor starts to be effected.
I'm trying to find the best packing method, one thought is old sockes or whine bottles meshie things. Can anyone come up with a neat way to transport them without breaking the jars?
Have a wonderful day
Cathy
Old 01-25-2015, 11:20 AM   #19

Name: sharon
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
my ex safely brought wine bottles home from europe using tube sox. might serve 3 purposes: pack less sox & slide full jars in clean sox; eat the food & wear the sox; slide the empties in dirty sox for travel home. win-win lol!
sharon_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:20 AM   #20
Raz

For any kind of canning and preserving Putting Food By was the bible and could be found at any book store with a cooking section. Raz