awesome unit from oz - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2011, 05:58 PM   #1

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
awesome unit from oz

hi everyone...don't know if others have seen this unit from australia or not, but i think it looks really intriguing! there doesn't seem to be much that they've not thought of.
more than anything, it just appeals to my sense of adventure when i watch their videos of them bouncing over sand dunes, thru water, thru mud etc.
makes me want to jump on a plane to oz, load one up and hit the road!!
Innovan:
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
makes me want to jump on a plane to oz, load one up and hit the road!!
Innovan:
And drive on the "wrong" side of the road with a manual transmission! It's fun!

Great unit. I saw a different version online of the same, or similar vehicle, about 2 years ago. A lot of thought went into those units.

We loved camping in Australia and New Zealand, and would love to go back. Most (though not all) units are pretty small, and spare. Lots of popups and tiny trailers... made us feel right at home. Campers were very welcoming in every place we stayed. (Never saw anything like vehicles in the website link, but saw some really, really great van and 4x4 utility conversions.)

Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:49 PM   #3

Registry
hi sherry and paul----can you fill me in on more details of your trip thru australia and new zealand? did you rent a rig there or use a tent? did you see the whole country? any hints on minimum length of trip to really do it justice? this is one of our bucket-list trips....our middle son lived in queensland for 4 years and loved it.
have you ever thought about some kind of exchange program where one not only trades homes, but cars and campers, too?
Old 10-26-2011, 08:39 AM   #4

Registry
Theresa,
We rented very small class C campers (diesel) in both countries. Our daughter was with us, so we needed the extra space. When and if we go again, we'd probably rent a camper van, as they're much less to rent, and almost all the campgrounds were very well-equipped. Nice showers, big communal kitchens (some indoors, some outdoors) with (usually) multiple sinks and cooktops, recreation areas, and most everywhere, the "barbie"...flat-top barbeque. In other words, we didn't need a lot of what the class C's contained, except the extra space for our daughter. (Since fall can be chilly in the south, we did enjoy the diesel heater, though!)
We went in their fall (our spring), so rates were pretty reasonable, both for the camper rentals and the plane fare. We spent 8 days in New Zealand, camping around the top third of the north island, which was beautiful. Great produce and food, too! We tried so many unusual fruits from the roadside stands.
We spent about three weeks in Australia, renting one-way from Sydney to Cairns. We certainly wish we'd had more time. Here, too, the campgrounds were great. In both countries, we really enjoyed meeting our fellow campers, who were usually locals, Canadians or European. I guess fewer Americans do the camping route there, as most people we met assumed we were Canadian. It seems that camping is really a way of life in New Zealand and Australia, and we never had a hard time finding a place to camp without reservations. I only reserved for our first three nights at the national park outside Sydney, to make sure we'd have a spot in that very popular (and beautiful) place. The park is a short walk to the train station for going into Sydney.
Australia's distances are really long, so I'd really suggest the one-way camper rental, to allow you more time to visit new places. The three-legged air ticket only cost a little more, and was well worth it, especially since we caught a big fare sale with Qantas Air. Even with that, we really had to push to see and do the things we wanted to do (tour beautiful Sydney, take a sailboat ride on the Whitsundays, snorkel at the Great Barrier Reef, and zipline in the rainforest, etc...) We were only able to spend a few days in each area, driving long hours between, as I remember. There's much left for us to explore in both countries, if we ever get the chance again. We'd like to plan on three months next time.
Sherry
PS Your son was a lucky guy!
Old 10-26-2011, 10:59 AM   #5

Registry
your trip really sounded great! i do plan on an extended time-line when we go....only wish it could be sooner!
Old 10-26-2011, 03:07 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
I really like the caravan! So many cool ideas.

I would love to go to Australia but that requires lots of planning and hubby is not a plans type of person. He has trouble getting it together for weekend trips!
Old 10-26-2011, 07:33 PM   #7

Registry
Lizbeth,
There are a lot of great travel sites to help in planning. It requires some flexibility, but camping outside the U.S. isn't that much harder, just different. And traveling from California, you're a lot closer than we are, with cheaper flights.
Theresa, Robert Ryan from Australia is a regular contributor on rv dot net site. He has a new thread going that you'd love on extreme Aussie trailers: RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Unusual Small TT's
If the link doesn't work, it's in the small travel subforum.

I hope you go, for whatever time you can. We had an incredible visit down under. The people of both countries were amazingly friendly, helpful, and hospitable. The landscapes and sights were beautiful. I spent some time looking around sites on the web today, reminiscing, and planning for another day....
Sherry
Old 10-26-2011, 09:09 PM   #8

Registry
good liink! i am surprised to see how similar the l'il snoozy is the australian explorer. i can hardly wait to go!