Bannocks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2013, 09:56 AM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Bannocks

We usually have Toutons when we go to NL but some one mentioned Bannocks on the site and I looked them up. They taste very similar to Toutons but do not require yeast.

1 1/2 Cups of flour
1 T Baking Powder
1/2 t salt

Stir dry ingredients

Add
3/4 C water
1/8 C of melted butter.

use a spoon and turn into a dough ball

Knead dough for a few minutes

Rollout on counter.

We put blueberries all over 1/2 of dough and folded the other half on top and pressed tht two halfs together. (Others have stuffed it with all kinds of fruits and even smoked salmon.)

Cut the folded, blue berry stuffed dough into 5 pieces and fried to golden brown in oil.

Really good. Recipe is adequate for 2 and only takes minutes.

Thanks to the person that mentioned Bannocks. They will be a regular in our house.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #2

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Bannock is popular at our house too - but I tend to bake it (at home) or do it in a cast iron frying pan with lid (when camping). I've never heard of Toutons - if you don't explain I guess I'll have to do some Googling!
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:33 PM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Fried bread dough in one form or another is relatively common in all cultures. My mother frequently served fried bread dough for a light Sunday evening meal, one of my favorites.

Here's a link to a Newfie recipe for toutons. We had them with fish cakes and beans in Newfoundland.

Newfoundland Toutons | The Vegan Cookbook Aficionado

Bannocks are definitely easier to makel

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:45 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I use bannock all the time when in the backcountry. We mix the dry ingredients, and cut in lard, at home. All that is required is to add water to get it to the right consistency. I have made both savory and spicy versions, by adding in raisins and sugar, or onions, garlic and spices.

Any leftovers make for good snaking with cheese and sausages the next day too.

Another trick I do with the mixture is to add an even amount of egg powder, and mix it thin. Makes fantastic crepes, just add some rehydrated fruits and a bit of sugar.....yummmmmm......
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:38 AM   #5

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
bannock is especially fun when camping with kids. it can be wrapped around a stick and held above the coals to bake. then it is dipped into maple syrup. there is nothing quite like it! we make it plain, with no additions.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
bannock is especially fun when camping with kids. it can be wrapped around a stick and held above the coals to bake. then it is dipped into maple syrup. there is nothing quite like it! we make it plain, with no additions.
For sure, great fun with the kids. Another thing to do when cooking on a stick is to make sure the stick is shaped so the bannock will slip off easily, and even add a bit of cooking oil to the stick, then pull it off after cooked, and fill with yummy stuff. We have used pie fillings, jam, peanut butter, melted chocolate, roasted marshmallows....the skies the limit. Bet the kids (big and small) can't eat just one.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:30 AM   #7

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
I love bannock! Made a batch in a large ziplock bag last weekend on a local trip with the boler to pick huckleberries. It was like bisquick so all I had to do was add water and whatever else we wanted to a cup or two of mix. We tried huckleberry bannock of course. Stuffing the bannock with berries and sugar was the best. We tried kneading the berries into the dough and it worked but we liked stuffing the better. I also stuffed some sausages into bannock and fried it. It was all great. My recipe is an adaptation of Inuit, Cree and Navaho recipes.

8 cups of flour (4 cups white all purpose + 4 cups whole grain flour)

3 T baking powder

2 tsp salt

4 T sugar

1/2 cup shortening

Mix all the dry ingredients together, sifting is a good idea to eliminate lumps. Add the shortening and cut and mash it into the flour as evenly as possible. Lumps up to 1/4 " in size are acceptable and even desirable.

Now to make some bannock dough, preheat your fry pan and take 1/3 cup of water (buttermilk or water with some sour cream or yoghurt really improves texture and flavor) per cup of mix and add it to the dry mix in a bowl. A fork works well to incorporate the liquid. You want to mix the liquid into the dough as quickly and as evenly as possible. Do not add too much water, a bit on the dry side with out being stiff is best. Knead the dough into a ball with your hands but do not knead more than needed to mix and hold together. Shape and fry or bake your bannock for 10-15 minutes. A fry pan with a lid works well on a stove.
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote