Biscuits - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2003, 02:08 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Biscuits

STIR & ROLL BISCUITS

2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons baking power
2/3 cup milk
1/3 cup salad oil

Sift dry ingredients into a mixing bowl. Pour milk and salad oil into measuring cup. Do not stir, but pour all at once into flour. Mix dough with a fork until mixture leaves sides of bowl and forms a ball. Turn onto a large square of waxed paper and with ends of paper in hands, press dough, kneading lightly over and over 8 to 10 times. Do not add extra flour when turning onto paper. Top with another square of waxed paper and roll to thickness desired, 1/2 inch more or less. Cut as desired. Bake on ungreased baking sheet at 475 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes.

For buttermilk biscuits, use 2 cups flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon soda, 1/3 cup salad oil and 2/3 cup buttermilk.

Dene's notes.... Exact measurements are important for dough to not be too dry or too wet. All measurements are level. I don't sift my flour, salt and baking power. I just stir it all together. Anyway I am not too careful about how many times I knead it etc. Just "some" works fine. Also I bake in an over set about 425 or less instead of 475 and it works fine. I have tried using saran wrap instead of waxed paper and it works but not so great. I have even used a plastic bag instead of a bowl for mixing and it worked ok too. One less dish to wash. Also these can be baked in an iron skillet on top of stove by using a lid and watching them closely to know when to turn them over to cook on the other side. I make my dough a dab more than 1/2 inch thick when I roll it out. If nothing to roll it with it can be patted to the correct thickness. I've made them so often since discovering this recipe that I rarely buy canned buscuits for any reason. When making for only two you can cut the amounts in half or cook the full amount and save the others to make 'fried biscuits' the next day. Strange recipe but it works every time.:m

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 04:34 PM   #2

I'm gonna try these, Dene. Thanks for the recipe. I have mastered pie crusts (thanks to my grandmother) but biscuits have eluded me. (I'm told I overwork them. They turn out tough.)

Recently I discovered frozen biscuits. They're great. You take out exactly the number you need and leave the rest in the bag 'til next time. They need no thawing, and they actually puff up nicely as they bake!

But, I'm going to try yours! (stay tuned...)

:cblob

Old 05-24-2003, 07:09 PM   #3

Biscuits

Mary, I have never been a biscuit maker either and do not enjoy cooking but my husband is a biscuit eater. In the past he has had a lot of canned ones and a few times I would make them from scratch or a mix and my results were so so. These come out right every time and seem to be pretty forgiving on what I do to them. I figure that if I can make these work just about anyone can. The recipe is so strange that I figured I was making dog food the first time I tried them. As far as pie crust goes it gets bought ready to go because I'm no good at that either. After all these years (46+) my husband does not expect much.:o Be sure to let us know how it goes.

Old 05-27-2003, 03:18 PM   #4

over work buscuits? I didn't know you could.
I can't make them either. but my Tom does. one bowl and baking pan, no rolling. He does it by dumping stuff, no measuring so I measured for him on day to get the right amounts. The recipe looks long, but you must remember I wrote this for our kids who don't cook. Mary - note in number 5 it says beat Now I got to try Dene's. We have even deep fried ours. :lol (leave out the butter then)

Tom's BISCUITS

5/8 stick margarine or butter [5 Tbs.]
1 1/3 cups milk
2 3/4 cups Gold Medal self rising flour
9" round non-stick cake pan. The more shallow the pan the more mounded the biscuits will be, the deeper the more level. The biscuits may not be done in the center when too much mounding occurs.

1. Preheat oven to 475º F. [Oven temperatures vary so lower temperature when biscuits brown and center isn't done or raise temperature if not brown in 25 minutes. Range of temperature should be 450º to 500º F.
2. Cut margarine into chunks and melt in pan by placing in oven while it heats. [don't burn it] Can melt 4 Tbs. now for dough in step 4 and latter melt 1 Tbs. in pan for step 6.
3. Measure flour into mixing bowl
4. Pour margarine into flour. Leave enough in pan to cover bottom of pan unless you are melting in two steps.
5. Pour milk into flour mixture. Use a dining fork to blend and beat until your tired. [Can use a mixer with a flat blade.] Dough is very sticky and stretches. It should be firm but soft enough to droop but not drip from fork. If too dry add more milk, if too wet add more flour then beat again.
6. Use fork to drop 1 1/2" round scoop of dough in pan, turn over to coat with margarine remaining in pan. Continue with rest of dough.
7. Pat with back of fingers to smooth top of biscuits.
8. Allow to rise at room temperature until oven is ready. This could be 0 minutes to 15 minutes with no problem.
9. Bake on center rack of oven for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown.

Old 06-07-2003, 12:44 AM   #5

Cream Scones

I've had good results with this recipe.

1 1/2 cup flour
3 tablespoon suger
3 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup heavy cream

375 F for 15 min.

I plan to try these in a backpackers oven at the end of the month.

Old 06-08-2003, 06:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Orginally posted by Ken T.

I've had good results with this recipe.
Do I just throw all the stuff together and stir? Or do I save one for the top/insides? (Yes, I have to have my hand held longer then most people when it comes to cooking.) :wak

Old 06-09-2003, 01:12 AM   #7

Yep, Stir it all together, knead it a few times, flatten the dough out to about an inch thick, cut the dough into wedges, or rounds with a biscuit cutter or juice glass, bake until golden.

Ken T.