Blackstone 17: griddle - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2018, 02:59 PM   #21

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I like the looks of the camp chef ranger II stove, thanks for mentioning it. That just may be my next stove. I gave a Stansport 3 burner away because it was poorly made and a burner was not level, so pans heated unevenly. Also like the looks of the Dickerson Spitfire, but will have to see how the burner is arranged. Not sure 10k btu is enough heat.

I had a Cadac which self destructed, then bought a Weber on the go to replace it while on the road,: Ok but not real fond of it. Also have a Weber Q 1200 which I do enjoy cooking on, but don’t like the shape of the hood.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 03:10 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Take a look at Napoleon Travel Q.
I bought it because it has two burners so you can cook indirect and it has a tall lid.

https://www.johnstones.com/napoleon-...-top-unit.html
Old 04-16-2018, 07:32 AM   #23

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
We have members here for whom meal preparation is pouring Cheerios in a bowl, or tearing open a bag of Doritos, and that's great.

We have other members who enjoy the ease of preparing multiple hot courses simultaneously, or being able to feed a small army a great hot meal. Also great.

We have people here who never use the stove in their trailer for more than heating water for coffee or tea, and cook outside when possible. That makes sense to me.

We have others here who have removed their stoves and sinks altogether, and don't miss them. Good for them.

Some campers here use Coleman Fuel, others swear by green cannisters, butane, large propane tanks, campfires, or induction cooktops. I'm fond of an old MSR whisperlite, that will burn moonshine to make coffee. A waste? Maybe.

It's all good.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:46 PM   #24

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Yes indeed. It is all good.

I do enjoy picking up good tips, and this type of discussion has done just that.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:35 PM   #25

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by apfixer View Post
Have any of you tried the Kalorik Portable Induction Cooking Surface.
I have.
Bought it at a store called Tuesday Morning for $39.99.
Tried it out at home.
Will only work on ferrous cooking pans, cast iron works great.
Had eggs, sausage, and potatoes ready to eat in about 20 minutes.
When I turned it off, the surface was cool to the touch in about 10 minutes.
Works on standard 110/115 volts.
Even at home I have done all my stove top cooking on a portable induction device for the last 10 years. That is because I don't have a kitchen at the live/work studio space. Of course I have worn out two of them during that time since they are not really constructed to hold up for constant use. The plastic housings fail and on the first unit the electronics also went out. I figure I got my money's worth out of both of them
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:49 AM   #26

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Glenn Baglo:

"Last I saw it was in a truck headed for the sanitary landfill ( and why is a landfill sanitary? )."

Glenn, you didn't keep your bulletproof griddlevest to wear under your serape? Dang! Whatever will you do when the hombres come?

Landfills are as sanitary or filthy as they may be, but if one called them a filthy landfill, it would be really super bad PR. Also, I suppose they're handled differently now from the old dump sites, but I don't know how exactly except they use bulldozers sometimes now. I'm sure it all cost a lot more...hence, they needed a new name from "town dump" to justify it all to the public.

Also it's what Paul Fussell (Class) (Or William Safire, can't remember) called the polysyllabic creeping of the American language--from "Dump" (1 syllable) to "Landfill" (2 syllables) and from "Town" (1 syllable) to "Sanitary" (3 syllables). So they went from 2 total syllables to five--a real important upgrade! Definitely justifying more equipment and pay raises and fee increases and all.

I shall henceforth be known as Her Serene Majesty Kathleen instead of Kai--a net gain of SEVEN syllables. Believe me, it's for the children's futures. It's all for the best.
Trust me.

BEST
Kai
HRMK
Old 04-17-2018, 06:58 AM   #27

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
PS: sorry, carried away and off topic by the thrill of the landfill question...

We use a microwave inside Peanut, a few basic cooking dishes and paper/cornstarch/wheat dishes.

We have a single-burner butane cooker for outside with one little matching non-stick frypan and a silicon spatula. (All light blue--couldn't resist.)

Paul makes little smokies & scrambled eggs in the microwave, steamed yams & carrots, and many other foods including mug cakes & main dishes. So much to learn!

We limit clean-up and drainage. We keep it simple. We keep the waste down. Used cornstarch/wheat dishes make nice fire kindling.

Thanks for the kind comments about the minimalist approach. It's the way we've always camped, as simple as possible. And there's always a weenie over an open fire, or a can of heated beans.

When we gutted Peanut and saw all the damage, broken water lines (etc.), rusted metal and severed propane lines, etc.... We scraped it out, cleaned it up and neither of us could bear putting anything back that could cause such a mess again. So we went for dryer, simpler options.

Great thread. But then, I'm hungry right now, so I'm especially ravenous for this information.

BEST
Kai
Old 12-31-2019, 11:15 AM   #28

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
[QUOTE=Kai in Seattle;693381]

...it's what Paul Fussell (Class) (Or William Safire, can't remember) called the polysyllabic creeping of the American language--from "Dump" (1 syllable) to "Landfill" (2 syllables) and from "Town" (1 syllable) to "Sanitary" (3 syllables). So they went from 2 total syllables to five--a real important upgrade! Definitely justifying more equipment and pay raises and fee increases and all.

I shall henceforth be known as Her Serene Majesty Kathleen instead of Kai--a net gain of SEVEN syllables. Believe me, it's for the children's futures. It's all for the best.
Trust me.
[\QUOTE]

English teacher SOOO LIKEY! Who knew we’d get Fussell AND Safire on an RV forum discussion about campstoves?