boil water, make wonderful food - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camp Cooking, Food & Recipes
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-02-2012, 06:18 AM   #1

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
boil water, make wonderful food

ok,,,half the time i spend cooking is just for the fun of cooking,,,,but sometimes we are just hungry after a long day and want food soon. so this stuff is what i reach for,,,what about you?

zataran's,,,,pretty much anything in a zataran box...add meat or something and dinner is ready.

those pouched rice or noodle mixes. just boil them .

waffles,,, much like bacon,,,,waffles are always good.

hormel chicken stew, with bisquick dumplings.

or hormel beef stew with bisquick dumplings.

P.S. no microwave for us.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:49 AM   #2

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Hi John,
We like canned stew, or chunky soup with Idahoan instant potatoes (only need water).
Phil
Old 04-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
boil water, make wonderful food.

For the past 30 years my wife has been just using "seal-a-meal" and then freezing meals. Eggs & Sausages for breakfast,... just boil water with the pouch inside. The nice part was the frozen pouches worked as ice in the cooler to keep other items cold, and the boiled water after meals was used for cleaning dishes or kids & us. We carried this way of life over from our tenting days and use it in our 13' Scamp.
Happy Trails To You.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:20 AM   #4

Name: Richard & Carolyn
Trailer: 2000 Casita SD 17'
Gabriola Island, BC
Registry
Just new to trailering and camping and thought one of the things we would invest in is a mini rice cooker. Everything goes with rice, right? We ended up using it for warming soup, cooking eggs in the shell, Kraft dinner and many other simple meals. We currently need to have sahore power (CPAP) so almost always have power for overnights. Since we have an exterior plug, on those hot days, it sits on a stool beside the trailer. Probably would work heating pouches David's wife makes :-)
Richard
Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:48 AM   #5

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
My favoritest easy quick meal is some spaghetti (partial to whole wheat) tossed with garlic sauteed in olive oil, some parmesan and hot sauce dumped on top. It does require three cooking items: a pot to boil the pasta, a pan for cooking up the garlic and olive oil, and a colander. But I do get a lot of use out of them.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:07 PM   #6

Trailer: (fiberglass)
soak the ramen noodles in a bowl for 10 minutes dump out the water. Add can of drained tuna. its good. no cooking involved.
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
P B J sammies!!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:15 PM   #8

Name: Logan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
Hot pockets wrapped in aluminum foil and tucked in the intake manifold on my truck.....
841K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:27 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I always have a box or two of zataran's to add some sausage to as well as a package of Udon noodles - easy to make a fast simple stir fry using what ever veggies I have and a little meat.

My newest easy camping gadget if I have power is a small George Foreman grill - very easy to use to make grilled cheesed sandwiches or quickly cook meat fast without having to dig out & set up the BQ and way easier to clean.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
Can precook pasta and save the boiling of water and the strainer.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:47 PM   #11

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry R. View Post
Can precook pasta and save the boiling of water and the strainer.
Would like to here more about this....like how do you "can pasta" and could you do other left overs????
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Bear Creek dried soups . Just add water or milk and heat . Not homemade but quick , easy to make , light weight, taste pretty good, and store well . Yes they do contain a lot of sodium but we don't eat them every day.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:48 AM   #13

I guess I should have said "you can precook" pasta. For church spaghetti dinners we boil spaghetti until it is just shy of al dente, put it in a colander sitting in ice water to stop the cooking, drain it well, put it in a bag that has had a little olive oil squished around in it, and then we drizzle just a little on the spaghetti to keep it from sticking. We make lots of bags of it, and chill it. When it is time for the dinner, put the sauce in the roaster or pot, heat it, stir in the pasta, put a lid on it and let the pastas heat up, stirring a couple times, and there you have a pasta dinner with just one pot, no boiling water, not strainer. You can save a little of the starchy pasta water and take it with you for the bottom of the pot and to pour over the pasta if need be.

When making it at camp, you can use pasta of choice and even sprinkle with cheese and let it melt. You can layer the pasta and sauce with a bechemel sauce or cheeses you like in lasagna and heat. A big skillet with a lid (can even use foil) works well. I put a little extra water in the bottom so I don't have to worry about burning and it helps steam the other ingredients to get them all hot.

Can also be done in a crock pot. Works really well in a crockpot and you can use a liner, not pot to wash. Parboiling the pasta just saves boiling the water and draining.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:03 AM   #14

You can can totally prepared foods to take with you, so you know what is in it and it doesn't need to be kept cold. Think tomato soup, southwestern veggie soup, meat sauce for pasta, bean soups, chili, beef in wine sauce, stew meat and stew veggies all ready to put in one pot and thicken, chicken to mix with jars of other veggies for chicken stew. Canned potatoes fry up fast and easy for breakfasts, can be mashed or buttered for supper and added to casseroles.

If it is canned and you don't use it, it is still ready and good for the next trip. You don't have to worry about keeping so much stuff cold or frozen.

When there is a REALLY good sale on thick cut bacon, I even can that. It cooks up quickly and I have it if I want it, but don't have to worry about it staying cold.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:30 AM   #15

Name: Dave
Trailer: 19 ft Escape ( aug 2012)
Alberta
We will quite often take pre-cooked hamburger with taco seasnoning ( frozen ). and just take the meat out of the freeezer in the morning warm it up in a frying pan, heat the taco shells in the oven for a couple of minutes and there is quick and easy tacos, a little messy to eat put realy quick and tasty . we will also make nachos with the taco beef some times too. also really easy.
DMAC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:25 PM   #16

Name: Al
Trailer: 1982 13 foot Scamp
Wisconsin
My Scamp's "pantry" always has Zatarain's.I use the Spanish Rice for stuffed bell peppers,with a wedge of pepper jack cheese in the middle.When done,slathered with Crystal cayenne pepper sauce.
ScampBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:17 PM   #17

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScampBum View Post
My Scamp's "pantry" always has Zatarain's.I use the Spanish Rice for stuffed bell peppers,with a wedge of pepper jack cheese in the middle.When done,slathered with Crystal cayenne pepper sauce.
Can I come for dinner??? That sounds good - will keep it in mind for next trip.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:06 PM   #18

Wisconsin
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Can I come for dinner??? That sounds good - will keep it in mind for next trip.
Reservations not required...BYOB
Old 08-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #19

Wisconsin
Most of my trips are boondocking,so I keep plenty of dried goods in my pantry...pasta,canned veggies,RAGU,Jiffy Mix...you name it,I have it in my inventory.A can of pineapple chunks added to K-Bobs can add a whole new dimension to dinner out in the middle of a National Forest.I keep the Scamp stocked in case I need to make a quick getaway.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #20

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I went moose hunting in Minnesota's BWCA . No bottles , cans and most packaging are allowed in the BWCA. My wife and I dehydrated enough food to feed 4 men for 10 days . We made dried soups ,stews , dried fruit , beef jerky ,dried sausage ,fruit roll ups,dried vegetables ,dried meat , dried potatoes , sauces , dried tomatoes etc. Packaged in seal a meal bags they keep forever , are very light weight and stay dry even if you tip over the canoe . We find meals like this a big help when dry camping over a long period and inexpensive to make at home
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote