Boiling in Zip Lock Bags - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2012, 12:49 PM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul 13 ft 1985
Registry
Exclamation Boiling in Zip Lock Bags

I wanted to cook eggs, in Zip Lock plastic bags, in boling water, on an up coming camping trip but ran into conflicting info regarding the safety issue. SO i called the Zip Lock people who said DO NOT DO THAT, That is enough for me, will find some alternative. Just wanted to share. Don't want to be feeding my kids, grand kids and that one adorable great grand something that isn't 100% A. O.K.
J.S.Lahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
How about these or oven bags?

Amazon.com: PanSaver EZ Clean Multi-Use Cooking Bags Slow Cooker Liners: Kitchen & Dining
Old 06-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #3

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I think that plastics can release harmful chemicals when exposed to heat. They even say not to leave plastic bottles of water in a hot environment like car or trailer.

Boiling eggs in the shell inside a plastic bag seems less likely to impart chemicals into the egg, but perhaps the shell is still somewhat porous. Best to err on the side of safety and health.

It seems like one would have to still place the eggs (bag or no bag) in water to boil; I can't imagine just a plastic bag full of eggs and water, placed over an open fire or on the grill, without the bag melting. So I'm wondering what purpose the bag would play?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:07 PM   #4

Registry
Tom, They are 4 liners for 6$, getting pretty expensive but at least safe. Will have to see how many people we need to feed or if we can combine the same kinds of omlets in one bag - I mean make 6 ham, cheese, onion omlets in one bag and share them out. May work. Thank you very much.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:08 PM   #5

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Not to point out the obvious... but they have this thing called a "pot" that you boil water in. Put water in pot. Put eggs in water. Heat. Or am I missing something?
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Boil in the bag

We make boil in the bag three egg omelets when camping. Put the eggs , meat, vegetables and cheese in a ziplock bag , boil for 16 minutes and enjoy
I do not know which is less healthy the omelet or the bag ?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:35 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.S.Lahm View Post
Tom, They are 4 liners for 6$, getting pretty expensive but at least safe. Will have to see how many people we need to feed or if we can combine the same kinds of omlets in one bag - I mean make 6 ham, cheese, onion omlets in one bag and share them out. May work. Thank you very much.
My point was that they make bags specifically for cooking in - also called oven bags. The link was an example, not a recommendation.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:56 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
boiling in ziplock bags.

We have been camping since the 1970's and have been making meals up at home, then freeze them in "Seal-A-Meal" bags. These act as "ice" in the cooler to keep other things cold. We simply boil water in a pot, place the seal-a-meal bag in the water, and your meals (ie scrambled eggs with sausage and cheese, or meat loaf, potatoes ... etc ) ready to eat. You then have the hot water necessary to wash dishes or kids with.
Happy Trails To You
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #9

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Bags & Rolls - Seal-a-Meal® Vacuum Sealer Products
"Our multi-layer storage bags are specially designed to protect food from freezer burn. Choose from the 8" and 11" bag roll assortment to make custom-sized bags or use pre-cut quart and gallon size bags. All of our bags are safe for microwave or boil-in-the-bag heating. "
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:35 PM   #10

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
an oncologist that i work with has been emphatically saying for many years not to heat plastic--either by boiling or by using the microwave....due to the noxious and poisonous chemicals that are released when any plastic is heated up.
i figure i'll listen to an oncologist...instead of seeking his services after i disregard his preachings.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #11

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I feel like I already throw away enough plastic in my life that I can at least skip cooking inside it, too. The idea of a single-use product that lasts forever is a little bit insane. But that's just me. I don't mind cleaning a pan after cooking.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:45 PM   #12
bec

Name: Gabi&Wolf
Trailer: Escape 15 A
Alberta
The other thing that it might be wise to consider avoiding is Teflon-cooking , not only does it not taste as good as when using pots or pans with a ceramic lining ( which is also non-stick - easy clean ), but it is advisable to not have a "canary "in the same area as cooking with teflon !
bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #13

Registry
WoW! Love all the replys, many interesting opinions. After reading all this and a good think--- I think I am just going to keep making omlets in my good old cast iron skillet, the one my mom started house keeping in...(remember this campout is to celebrate my 70th so this is an old skillet) I understand the novety of putting your own egg(s) in your own bag, adding the ingredients you want and dropping it in the boiling water BUT we'll do it my way..that's another advantage of being the old girl. bless you all..
Old 06-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #14

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post

I have used these bags in my slow cooker,they do make clean easy when camping.The DOWN side ,that I have found, is that it takes Longer to cook with them. Example being...I like to cook a big Pot Roast in my slow cooker when camping ,so I thought this bag would be great for camping,veggies got done just fine...but the meat took almost twice as long to cook. My DD has used a dutch Oven liner and she says it takes longer for things to cook in the DO when she uses liners.
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:56 PM   #15

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Yup, just add a little bacon grease to your skillet first. Good eatin'.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:05 PM   #16

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
First of all, ziploc bags are made of Low density polyethylene, so the only thing they will release is ethylene, and then only if they are heated hotter than the temp of boiling water. Not a problem. I suspect the manufacturer just doesn't want the liability of saying it is safe to cook in them so they say it isn't.

Second, something you do once or twice a year on a camping trip is not something I'd worry about. If it had a slight risk, and you did it 365 days a year, then you worry.

Third, the smoke from your charcoal or wood fire is far more hazardous and so is the bacon.

IMHO... cook your eggs in the bags and don't sweat it.

One time I called the number on the side of some kind of food package to ask what would happen if I reused the plastic pan the food came in. The person I got admitted it was perfectly safe, they just say don't reuse it as some idiot will reuse it until it starts to fall apart, get burned, and sue. I suspect this is the same kind of reasoning.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #17

Name: Norma
Trailer: Beaver
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bec
The other thing that it might be wise to consider avoiding is Teflon-cooking , not only does it not taste as good as when using pots or pans with a ceramic lining ( which is also non-stick - easy clean ), but it is advisable to not have a "canary "in the same area as cooking with teflon !
I made that mistake! My daughter had just given me 2 beautiful canaries, set the cage down on the kitchen table (by the big sliding window) to hear them singing while I made breakfast and I wasnt even done with the first egg when my grandkids noticed that one was already dead and the other one was twitching at the bottom of the cage. No one told me!
Normedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #18

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have no microwave in my rig. I thaw solidly frozen meats (And other frozen items) by pouring boiling or near boiling water over it in a ziplock.

I let the bag float in the water for about 5 mins for an average sized serving and it thaws without cooking. I hate that with a microwave.

Passive aggressive thawing I call it :-)
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:08 PM   #19

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19' /2010 Honda Pilot 4WD TV
Escondido, California
What??!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normedina View Post
I made that mistake! My daughter had just given me 2 beautiful canaries, set the cage down on the kitchen table (by the big sliding window) to hear them singing while I made breakfast and I wasnt even done with the first egg when my grandkids noticed that one was already dead and the other one was twitching at the bottom of the cage. No one told me!
That was a good one!....
Old 10-13-2012, 07:54 PM   #20

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
First of all, ziploc bags are made of Low density polyethylene, so the only thing they will release is ethylene, and then only if they are heated hotter than the temp of boiling water. Not a problem. I suspect the manufacturer just doesn't want the liability of saying it is safe to cook in them so they say it isn't..
Actually according to Livestrong.org in a write up titled "What are the Dangers of Boiling Foods In Plastic Bags" they say "Ziplock brand bags have a softening point of 195 degrees, which means they would melt at boiling point, 212 degrees"

Under a section titled Chemical Leaching it reads "When plastic is boiled, the chemicals used to produce it can leach into the food being prepared due to a high temperature. Common chemicals in plastic include BPA and phthalates. Harvard Medical School says that high-fat foods are especially susceptible. NDSU adds that some plastic bags will leach toxic fumes from the ink, glue and recycled materials used in making them."
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote