Camping Breakfast question - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2003, 05:29 PM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
DON>one per month

I'm jealous Don! If I'm lucky, Pam will let me have a steak/eggs/cheese breakfast, maybe once in a lifetime!

Now, I did give her that cardiac scare down in Louisiana three years ago, so I suppose I shouldn't be bitter.

Mary>>teaspoon of Oat bran

Now you're talking like my wife, Mary!

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 05:41 PM   #22

Well, Charles, I think there're worse things than talking like your Pam!

But, trust me. Oat bran is a great additive to pancakes. (Not crepes, but pancakes.)

And, yes, it's good for you, too.

Want my recipe for peanut butter oat bran cookies?

Pam would probably even ''let'' you eat one (notice I said, one) of those...

:cblob

Old 02-18-2003, 05:50 PM   #23

>>peanut butter oat bran

Not a real fan of peanut butter.

But Pam would like the recipe (I just asked) because she knows if she makes the cookies, I won't eat them in one sitting. Please post in new thread!

I have to warn you, however, Pam carries pouches of Oat Bran and ground flax seed with her at all times ... and she's constantly sprinkling it on whatever I happen to be trying to eat or drink!

Old 02-18-2003, 05:53 PM   #24

>>I have to warn you

Your point being?

(I had a feeling you were going to scoff at the peanut butter. Oh well, some people are just beyond help... You don't think a peanut butter cookies thread will be like Okra!, do you?)

:u

Old 02-18-2003, 06:02 PM   #25

>>okra

No, but a thread on the necessity of a High Fiber diet might be as popular or atleast be in second place!

Most Popular Threads:

#1. Okra
#2. High Fiber Diet

Old 02-18-2003, 06:44 PM   #26

Charles,

DON>one per month

It's Robert, Charles. A little senior moment there? Maybe if you cut back on the cheese.
;)

Old 02-18-2003, 09:57 PM   #27

We eat breakfast twice!!

OK, this thread finally made me join the forum.

We have TWO breakfasts when camping. We rise early to go out and do nature photography, so first breakfast is quick pre-dawn. Cereal, coffee and stuff. Maybe oatmeal if we are feeling especially hungry.

Then it is off just after dawn to capture those inspiring nature images.

Then return to camp after 10a.m. or so when the light is no longer great. By then the early breakfast has worn off, and we are HUNGRY, especially if the weather has been cold. So it is time for Brunch!!

Now we can kick back and relax, plenty of time for food prep. No more photography until late afternoon. We usually have omelets with salsa, breakfast potatoes, warm tortillas, and fresh-squeezed orange juice!! Doesn't that sound good? Omelets might contain spinach and mushrooms. Maybe previous night leftovers. Had shrimp omelets the last time!

NOTE: the omelets are made with eggbeaters - no guilt here. Actually eggbeaters makes a very delicious omelet. Trouble is .. you might be hungry again a couple of hours later....

Old 02-18-2003, 10:04 PM   #28

:wave :wave :wave

Hey, Audrey! Are you the one who's going to lead the birding hike when we meet up for the Texas Bluebonnet Casita Fest?

Welcome to the board!

I think I LIKE your approach! I was already wondering, how can I go on that hike AND get a real breakfast? You have the perfect solution...

See ya April 4th!! :cblob :cblob :cblob

Old 02-18-2003, 10:54 PM   #29

Quote:
Orginally posted by Lex Meuldijk

Oops. Wrong picture! ;)
:ola
So, Lex. Is that what your table looks like while those of us at GMT-6 are having breakfast?

:jester

Old 02-19-2003, 06:44 AM   #30

Audrey, yum! I love fresh squeezed oj! Shrimp omlets! Breakfast potatoes.

Keep me posted where you are camping! I might join you for breakfast!

Robert>>it's Robert

Whoops. Sorry. I got all excited when I thought about a steak/eggs/cheese breakfast.

Please accept my apology, Robert ... as a peace offering, I'll join you for breakfast someday (we won't tell Pam, though, ok?)

Old 02-19-2003, 08:20 AM   #31

Hello, Audrey!

Hello, Audrey!

How nice to see you here! Since we are already acquainted it's a pleasure to welcome you here. Wish I could be there to take your bird hike, but right now we're busy counting penguins.

Old 02-19-2003, 08:23 AM   #32

Howdy, Charles

Your apology is accepted without reservation.

But one thing puzzles me: as a peace offering you're going to allow ME to cook breakfast for YOU? Huh? 'Tis a puzzlement! :conf

Old 02-19-2003, 09:11 AM   #33

Quote:
Orginally posted by Audrey Harvey
We have TWO breakfasts when camping. We usually have omelets with salsa, breakfast potatoes, warm tortillas, and fresh-squeezed orange juice!! Doesn't that sound good? Omelets might contain spinach and mushrooms. Maybe previous night leftovers. Had shrimp omelets the last time!

NOTE: the omelets are made with eggbeaters - no guilt here. Actually eggbeaters makes a very delicious omelet. Trouble is .. you might be hungry again a couple of hours later....
Now wait a min. I didn't know we would get this kind of breakfast if we went to the Bluebonnet!! I might just have to show up right about breakfast time. I LOVE omelets, but I don't know about that spinach part. PLUS. I am the *Egg lady* I can't be caught eating eggbeaters, my little chickeys would have a walkout. (:conf course I could leave the chickeys at home, they don't have to go camping with me.)

Old 02-19-2003, 10:53 AM   #34

>>peace offering you're going to allow ME to cook

That's my offer! You can call me anything you want, Robert ... but don't call me late for breakfast!

Maybe Audrey can bring some fresh squeezed juice and a big cast iron skillet full of potatoes.

Speaking of potatoes ... I think the smell of potatoes over the campground is almost as good as the smell of bacon and eggs.

Old 02-19-2003, 10:54 AM   #35

And why is it that my camping breakfast .... a bowl of Fiber One in ice cold milk and a banana or orange ... has no odor at all?

Why is it all the other stuff smells so good cooking up in the campground?

Old 02-19-2003, 11:45 AM   #36

Thanks for welcome

Hi Robert! Thanks for the welcome.

Penguins - wrong hemisphere!!! But I know what you mean. Impressive pics posted by Steve, Lori & Michael yesterday.

Old 02-19-2003, 11:53 AM   #37

Yes, I'm the birder

Hi Mary.

Yes, I'm the one (plus husband John) that volunteered to lead a birding hike at the Bluebonnet Fest. And yes, our breakfast solution is built around these early morning activities. Birding and photography seem to have cause same daily schedule. I'm not really a morning person, but I don't mind getting up early as long as I have time for a nap in the middle of the day.

Look forward to seeing you there. Are you bringing your solar cell? Would like to see your setup.

Old 02-19-2003, 01:25 PM   #38

Solar

Audrey, I'll think about bringing the panel, for show and tell. But we of course don't need to use it at Lost Maples SP.

Of course I think it was PineConeDon (a.k.a. Don in OKC) who pointed out that our method of hookup is sans regulator. It's worked out okay since we don't use the panel on the Casita most of the time. But I do need to recommend our method with that caveat.

Now. Back to breakfast! :laugh

Old 02-27-2003, 09:37 AM   #39

So, that's it?

Nobody has anything more to say about breakfast?

I always thought if I was ever going to use a cast iron skillet, it would be for cooking breakfast over the campfire... But I've since learned (from watching my parents) to cook the bacon or sausage over the campfire, on aluminum foil, and cook the scrambled eggs inside the trailer, on the stove. (Biscuits I also do inside, on the stove.)

Perhaps not as much fun as cooking outside... and if we can ever build campfires again in Colorado, I will get a dutch oven... for cinnamon rolls, of course.

:cblob

Old 02-27-2003, 10:28 AM   #40

To restart the breakfast thread

We don't cook in the morning. Except 'cooking' water for tea. ;)
Our breakfast is simple: 1 or 2 cups of (black) tea with some slices of buttered bread covered with chocolate strands, jam or cheese. We use different types of bread.
When in England we eat the same. Sometimes we prepare an English-like breakfast.
On holiday in France , Spain etc. we eat croissants, stick bread (baguette) with jam and drink tea or coffee.