Cobb grill smoked pork butt pics - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2015, 10:13 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
Cobb grill smoked pork butt pics

Finally, think I have this smoking on the Cobb figured out. This was my all day project, yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails
RS smoked pork butt.jpg   RS smoked pork butt 2.jpg  

RS smoked pork butt 3.jpg  
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
That's one fine looking piece of pork you have there. Did the process differ much from that you posted back in early June?
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:13 PM   #3

I did make some changes. I was able to keep the temperature down, by changing the number of briquettes used, throughout the process, and filling the moat with water. It made a huge difference in the process.

I started out with only 4 briquettes. I let those start getting white, filled moat with water, then I put the grill plate, fenced rack and lid on, to get hot.

Once I felt things were hot, I quickly added one more new briquette, and set a foil packet of dry apple and alder wood chips, on top of the new coal. I immediately put the grill plate and rack on top, then added the prepared, room temp pork butt, and the lid. Once the packet stopped smoking, I removed it. I added 2 briquettes every 90 minutes to two hours, throughout the day.

I used two thermometers. One, I hung in a hole in the lid, the other was a digital that went into meat, close to the center, but away from the bone. The cooking temp stayed between 225 and 250.

I started basting with a vinegar based sauce, when the meat reached 145 and each time I added charcoal. At 160, I basted one last time, then wrapped it in foil and finished with the same 2 coal additions, until it reached 203.

One very important thing you have to do with the Cobb, as the day goes along. The coals cause ash to fill up below the coals. This blocks the air flow to the coals. You have to scoop those out, 2 or 3 times. I didn't do that last time and eventually the coals would not get hot enough to finish the meat.

I let the meat rest, before shredding.

The night before smoking, I covered the meat with plain old, yellow mustard, and a dry rub, then wrapped it in plastic wrap, for the night.

Once I figured out, less coals are best, there was much less monitoring of the entire process.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:29 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Glad you figured it out looks very good! Did it fall apart or pull apart with ease? If I recall you had another post going on the Cobb grill, did any of my tips help or work for you?
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:15 AM   #5

The bone slid right out, and it was so tender I did not have to use a fork to have it fall apart.

Yes, your information was helpful. I use the Cobb grill a lot, but regulating the temp to a lower temp was my bigger problem. I just didn't know how little charcoal I really needed to be using, to keep it low and slow.

I felt the foil let me collect juices, that I poured back over the meat, when the meat was "pulled".

Did you see my link to the Cobb in the other post? It is a very small tabletop, charcoal grill with a domed lid.

I have found the keys to smoking with the Cobb are less coals, water in the moat to help keep the temp down, and removing the ash built up in the chamber under the coals.

The meat took around 10 hours. I was determined to use the grill to do the whole thing.

It was something I had to conquer, like baking nicely browned artisanal bread in it. It is such a versatile little grill, I don't think there is much I can't cook with it. Size might be the most limiting factor. It is definitely not for cooking for a crowd.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:32 AM   #6

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Terry, very nice write up and that pork looks wonderful. I hate BBQ but I have a great appreciation for what you have created. I have been working on using our grill at home and I am learning many new things that I took for granted when I ate at the table of a grill master. I aspire to learn more tricks of the Cobb and look forward to seeing more good lessons. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:46 AM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
I hate BBQ
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 12:30 PM   #8

Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny M View Post
Yah, I know. It's almost un-American, but I've never been a fan of BBQ or Sloppy Joes or anything like that...while I realize that many like a hot sandwich and enjoy BBQ, I'll pass. I'll eat it and have been to some festivals where it's the focus and reason for some events. I'd just rather not if I have something else from which to choose. I allow that there are plenty of those who like it that will enjoy my portion and won't mind the extra.
Old 12-14-2015, 03:49 PM   #9

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
Yah, I know. It's almost un-American, but I've never been a fan of BBQ or Sloppy Joes or anything like that...while I realize that many like a hot sandwich and enjoy BBQ, I'll pass. I'll eat it and have been to some festivals where it's the focus and reason for some events. I'd just rather not if I have something else from which to choose. I allow that there are plenty of those who like it that will enjoy my portion and won't mind the extra.
Yeah, but if you SLICE the cooked butt and serve it that way (like a roast) it is very, very, very hard to beat!

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:52 PM   #10

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Terry,

OUTSTANDING! Thanks for sharing the pictures. I am barely familiar with the Cobb Grill. I have both a gas grill (my brother harasses me about cheating and using gas!) and Komodo style smoker/grill. I have a Green Egg knock off. It is a Char Griller Acorn. It was wonderful smoker/griller. I like to use lump charcoal. Too big and heavy to lug camping, but I love a Saturday in the fall with college football, a warm day, a cold beer, and smoke wafting out of the Acorn. Babyback ribs are my specialty, but pulled pork from a Boston Butt is hard to beat as well. Plus, a 12 to 15 lb. full beef brisket makes for a wonderful day of smoking as well.

Thanks again for sharing!

Dean
DeanCHS1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:40 PM   #11

Kentucky
Registry
Dang it! Now I'm all hungry and stuff! Too close to dinner to be reading this stuff. Love the Cobb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanCHS1980 View Post
Hi Terry,

OUTSTANDING! Thanks for sharing the pictures. I am barely familiar with the Cobb Grill. I have both a gas grill (my brother harasses me about cheating and using gas!) and Komodo style smoker/grill. I have a Green Egg knock off. It is a Char Griller Acorn. It was wonderful smoker/griller. I like to use lump charcoal. Too big and heavy to lug camping, but I love a Saturday in the fall with college football, a warm day, a cold beer, and smoke wafting out of the Acorn. Babyback ribs are my specialty, but pulled pork from a Boston Butt is hard to beat as well. Plus, a 12 to 15 lb. full beef brisket makes for a wonderful day of smoking as well.

Thanks again for sharing!

Dean
Old 05-17-2016, 01:51 PM   #12

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I am with you on the barbecue, Wanderer. Too much of the sauces have brown sugar, and I absolutely hate anything sweet on my meat. No fruit either.

That being said, I have a pork roast thawing in the fridge that would sure look good done like Terry R.

However, our Silver Cloud will not be taken out until Memorial Day weekend.

Maybe hubs can cook it on the grill here at the house. I am dieting, and I crave flavor in the tiny portion of meat that I get right now.

CindyL