cooking in "shoulder season" - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camp Cooking, Food & Recipes
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-15-2006, 10:12 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Greetings!

We tried the Cobb at home in early spring, with a way-too-big-chicken that hubby bought. The lid wouldn't cover it! Funny! Even using the Handy man's secret weapon, we needed to finish it inside, in the oven. That was one HUGE bird!

Then, getting ready for our first camp-out, we realized we needn't bring along a Hibachi (cheap even in cast iron, throw away after a season) as we had our Cobb. We knew we could cook WHATEVER even in the rain.

As it turned out, we had a perfectly lovely first camp-out this last weekend, no rain, and no boom-boxes/four wheelers. Lovely to hear the birds sing at our favourite boon-dock.

1. I am writing an article re boon-docking, anyone care to comment?
2. How do YOU cook in the rain or cold?

Thanks,

CT
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 08:28 AM   #2

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
1. I am writing an article re boon-docking, anyone care to comment?
2. How do YOU cook in the rain or cold?

Hi, CharlynnT
What is the handyman's secret weapon?

This is a great thread...how to cook when it's raining or cold while boondocking!

In my camper, I have 2 Dutch Ovens, a cast iron skillet, a propane campstove, and a stove. If I had my druthers, I'd always use the DO. This would require a canopy over the outfit, and I haven't thought about that yet. By doing so, it keeps the heat out of the kitchen.

I guess, to answer you, I'd have to say that I cook on the stovetop. One can put a DO on top of the stove and let it simmer away. What is usually done, however, is scrap the DO
meal and make something easier. It's always a letdown to plan a DO and not be able to do it.

Ideas for this, folks?
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 10:09 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
[quote]
How do YOU cook in the rain or cold?
Hi, CharlynnT
What is the handyman's secret weapon?

I was doing a Canadian thing (lame joke!) re handyman's secret weapon (duct tape, "The Red Green Show") but we used aluminum foil in reality.

Only once or twice have I camped at a no-open-fires allowed campground (usually when weather is really dry) when a Hibachi (or Cobb) is needed.

More often, I have been camping in steady drizzle or even downpour, when cooking on the picnic table under the awning was the best bet.

I don't like cooking anything other than coffee or sometimes scrambled eggs inside on the stove top, too much like being at home! I want to be outside. (Note to embarassed kid: "Mommy is NOT wearing her pajamas outside, they are 'Leisure Pants'.")
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 11:05 AM   #4

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Jackie
The camping woman's secret weapon:

Scrubs! You can shower in the campground facility, put them on, walk back to your trailer; take the dog out for her morning or night time 'run'; cook breakfast outside...no one knows they are your pjs.
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote