Cool little grill - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2012, 10:38 AM   #1

Trailer: Play Pac
Cool little grill

The Darwin BBQ is one hot briefcase

I thought this was neat.

Camilla
Camilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Cute.
Practical, questionable. In many places charcoal is prohibited, and disposing of the coals after use might be a problem in some places and/or times.
I'm pretty sure you couldn't use this in most of the southwest at this time.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:20 PM   #3

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Kind of cool, but if one can not close off the air to kill the fire and pack the unburned charcoal I have to agree with Byron, at least for boondocking. They get touchy out west about fire safety. Would be fine in a Mich. state park.

We used one like this for years, close lid, slide shut air vents and pack up when it cools.
Deluxe Portable Charcoal Grill
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:34 PM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We received a 3 fuel, (propane, wood, charcoal) collapsible grill complete with carrying bag. It contains a fuel line for connection to a traditional propane tank.

Additionally we bought a non Volcano adapter that allows it to be connected to the 1 lb tanks. The nice thing about the adapter is that it allows a 1 lb tank to serve as a backup to our single main tank.

Definitely not as small or light as the thread starter but it definitely looks like it's a life long product.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:24 AM   #5

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
Nothing like resurrecting an old thread.. How are you enjoying your Volcano grill Norm?

Sent from my XT1028 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:51 AM   #6

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briantb View Post
Nothing like resurrecting an old thread.. How are you enjoying your Volcano grill Norm?
Yes, do tell us about this tri-fuel cooker. I would be very interested in such.

My Google-fu turned up this link: http://www.volcanogrills.com/collapsible-stovegrills
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:09 AM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We like the grill. It is heavy. I like that it comes with a cloth case keeping an inherently dirty item contained.

It's heavy. We have yet to try the oven function though we have the roasting hood. We'll give it a try this fall.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:18 PM   #8

Name: CW
Trailer: Scamp 16 Standard (Coming May 1st!)
New Jersey
volcano grill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Yes, do tell us about this tri-fuel cooker. I would be very interested in such.

My Google-fu turned up this link: Collapsible Stove/Grill Catagory page
The URL you posted is right on, Timber Wolf! I would have liked one of these back in the days we camped with the pop up. Definitely getting one.
CharleyWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:25 PM   #9

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
I've been playing with two tiny grills. Each has their own appeal.

The Biolite grill uses biomass (twigs, leaves, paper, etc.) that you may find laying about. As a bonus, it will charge your iPhone.

The other is the Ecoque that is a foldup/collapsable grill that only uses 9 briquettes. It's a very rugged, stainless steel piece of equipment.
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:13 PM   #10

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
that's sorta two extremes....

really enjoyed looking at the Biolite products....genius.....

then looking at the other one...I found out it was the old Pyromid !!! I did not realize that my Pyromid was not in production for ten years....I got it on a whim and only used it a few times on a boat...and a few times on picknicks....it's only after getting an RV that I've really started using it on a regular basis....

it's a great product/idea...small cooking surface and you gotta be quick because the cooking "window" is pretty short......but oh so simple to light and easy to clean up.....and then it folds up flat...about the size of a thin coffee table book. EVERYTHING on this thing is stainless steel. I will probably have to put it in my will cause it will outlast me.

I keep it in my truck along with half a dozen ziplock bags filled with NINE briquettes... that's all it uses...briquettes stand on end on a rack. I don't know if it's the shape and/or the ventilation but the nine pieces of charcoal burn COMPLETELY down to a small pile of ashes! no other residue at all.... I've long since used up the multiple use foil liners that come with the unit....now I use two lengths of aluminium foil and discard. It certainly is not perfect but it works (for two people) and it's a hoot to use

technology wise the Biolite is the height of technology (I want one)...the other one is as old and simple as a charcoal fire, with a design twist that makes the absolute most out of just nine pieces of charcoal...without the mess/unburnt briquettes usually associated with charcoal use
Attached Thumbnails
pyromid.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:09 PM   #11

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I found the EcoQue website without the "www" in the address. Franswa, tell us more about your little grill. Does yours have the lid, too? If you use foil under the grill grate like in your photo, and put the lid on top, will meat still pick up the 'char-broil' flavor from the charcoal? Or do the drippings need to fall onto the coals to get that flavor? And I'm wondering how the fire can get proper oxygen flow if the top is blocked off by foil? I guess you must have the 12" model; is that 12" long, or 12" diagonally?

I sometimes cook fish on a charcoal grill, with some pre-soaked wood chips thrown on top of the charcoal just before placing the fish on the grill (and then cover with the lid), so the wood smoke flavor gets into the fish. If this thing will do the same, I may get one. The little Weber kettle I have now does work well but it is inconveniently large and (with 3 legs) prone to tipping over during travel.

I looked at the BioLite and it seems nifty, but this review http://sectionhiker.com/biolite-camp...yond-the-hype/ indicates that it only holds enough wood fuel for 5-10 minutes before needing a refill, and charging of devices is too slow and irregular to be of practical use.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:26 AM   #12

South Carolina
You are correct in that the Biolite has to be tended to keep the heat going. If you are just using it to heat a pot or kettle, then that is kindof a pain, as you have to lift the pot to feed the fire.

On the grill attachement, there is an access door that you lift and you drop fuel in there periodically.

I found that the device will put a little charge into your phone, enough to keep you going, but it's not going to quickly charge it up. But it is a USB port - I like to use a LED light attachement which works really well and is handy cooking at night. Also, what makes this device work is a blower - the thermocouple charges the fan battery first, and then when that is fully charged, there is power left for the USB port - it's only about 1 amp. Selling it based on iphone charging is a bit hokey, but that is their hook. I wouldn't buy it for that feature, but it is a plus.

Another thing you are doing when you buy this is supporting them giving these things to poor folks in Africa - cooking accidents are a big deal over there I guess. You can read about it on their website.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Old 10-15-2014, 01:23 PM   #13

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
details...

the foil liner goes in before the bottom rack and briquette rack go on....the foil just lines the inverted pyramid

so you line the thing with the foil, punch 3-4 holes in the bottom of it with a pen, put in the bottom rack (smallest square) and place a lit fire starter on it (half a stick) then put the briquette rack on (9 of them standing on edge, easy to do they just sit in the slits perfectly).....and finally put the grill on

you don't do nothing else...it's foolproof, fires up perfectly every time...once the charcoal pieces start turning white you're ready to cook...then you have about 15-20 minutes of cooking time

drippings fall on the briquettes as with any charcoal grill

the hood is meant to turn the thing into an oven....I had no use for it and it made stuffing all the pieces (folded up) fit into the base harder so I discarded the hood

(click on pics for more detail)
Attached Thumbnails
pyromid2.jpg   pyromid3.jpg  

pyromid4.jpg   pyromid.jpg  

Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:35 PM   #14

South Carolina
There is also a griddle accessory you can get for I think around $15. It's a VERY heavy piece of stainless, and it will still fit with the grill in the bag.

When you open this grill up, you'll be blown away how pretty the stainless is. You might as well accept that it's going to get quite scratched up. But it will last a lifetime.

All the parts will fit inside a wash basin, so you can clean it up pretty well after each use. Still would use the foil liners, or just some aluminum foil.

The instructions tell you to place the briquettes on their side for a slow temp cook, and flat for a high temp one.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Old 10-15-2014, 03:04 PM   #15

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I decided to get one of these EcoQue 12" grills. Picked up the grill, a griddle top, and a pack of liners for about $55 from campsaver.com (after a 10% off coupon code).

I have been hesitant to take my Weber when camping in bear country, because I lacked a good place to store it in the trailer and not only would the rattling drive me nuts in the car, it's hard to clean so the odor could tempt bears. This "Pyromid" remake, being easier to clean and very compact, should work much better. Thanks for the details.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote