Covers for sink, stove - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2018, 01:11 PM   #1

Name: Kathy
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Covers for sink, stove

Hi, all.

I have a new (to me) 13' Scamp '04 Deluxe, and am hoping to find covers for both the sink and stove for when they're not in use. What do you all use?

The stove is a 2-burner gas (Suburban SD-2), and the sink is a small metal one, 15 1/4 x 13 outer, 13 1/4 x 11 inner.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Kathy
Kgphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:59 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Hi Kathy and welcome to the forum! For our Trillium 4500, we wanted a stove cover. A microwave sometimes sits on it when we have shore power. I first made a rough wood prototype for evaluation, and then much later I made this one:
Attached Thumbnails
trillium4500stovecover.jpg  
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:45 PM   #3

Name: Kathy
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Nice job! That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. I assume it is "hollow" (rather than solid wood)?
Kgphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:52 PM   #4

Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgphd View Post
Nice job! That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. I assume it is "hollow" (rather than solid wood)?
Kathy, yes its hollow. The sides are 1/2" solid poplar. The top is 1/2" birch plywood.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:03 PM   #5

Michigan
Registry
I may wind up replacing the birch plywood with solid wood if it de-laminates. Also, this cover was finished with several coats of wipe on polyurethane varnish.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:12 PM   #6

Michigan
Registry
Trillium 4500 stove cover

Here is the bottom of the cover.
Attached Thumbnails
stovecoverbottom.jpg  
Old 05-28-2018, 05:20 PM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I made something similar to what John did for our Uhaul, using an off the shelf cutting board for the top. Later removed the stove and made that area storage so repurposed the same cutting board as a hinged lid. Another off the shelf cutting board covers the sink. If you need a custom sized cutting board there are a couple sellers on eBay that will cut to your specs a HDPE (plastic) cutting board. I got one with radius corners to fit over the stove in our Casita. They are available in various thickness.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:25 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgphd View Post
Hi, all.

I have a new (to me) 13' Scamp '04 Deluxe, and am hoping to find covers for both the sink and stove for when they're not in use. What do you all use?

The stove is a 2-burner gas (Suburban SD-2), and the sink is a small metal one, 15 1/4 x 13 outer, 13 1/4 x 11 inner.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Kathy
I too have an '04 Scamp13D.

As you can see, the stove cover doubles as a counter extension when cooking, or as a table when the bed is made.
The sink cover is a standard plastic cutting board which was cut to fit the sink.

Here is my solution...
Attached Thumbnails
Pic013.JPG   Eggy-Sue inside 008.jpg  

DSCF0031.JPG   DSCF0035.JPG  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:28 AM   #9

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Similar, but a little bit different. Not a nicely made piece of cabinet joinery like some others shown here, but more of a "quick and dirty" approach. Just a bamboo cutting board mounted on 4 short stainless steel legs made from 1" boat railing tubing. Four 1" rubber chair feet mounted to the bottom with stainless steel screws which go up into the bottom of the cutting board. If I want to use the stove, I just move it off to the side and set it on my full-time bed. Works good to extend valuable, (and almost non-existent,) counter space, and makes a good spot to put our coffee pot or toaster oven. The legs are spaced so as to cradle the four rounded corners of the stove top to keep it in place. Just be sure to pre-drill pilot holes for mounting the screws to keep from splitting the cutting board, and make sure that they aren't too long, so they won't "punch through" the top of the board.
Attached Thumbnails
casita 003.JPG   stovecover1.jpg.JPG  

stovecover5.jpg.JPG   stovecover4.jpg.JPG  

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:14 AM   #10

Name: J Ronald
Trailer: Casita 17 ft. Liberty Deluxe
North Carolina
I used plastic cutting bords with pieces from a thinner cutting board hot glued to bottom for legs. the legs were plced to cradle the stove. the one for the sink the legs dropped below the sink rim to prevent sliding around.
J Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:28 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
I may wind up replacing the birch plywood with solid wood if it de-laminates. Also, this cover was finished with several coats of wipe on polyurethane varnish.
if its Baltic Birch ply, it won't delam except under the /most/ extreme conditions.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:31 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Here's the kitchen area in my Escape ( and photo of the underside of the sink cover to show how it is held in place. I've considered replacing the commercial range cover with one that doubles as a cutting board, but the one I have protects the vinyl wall from spatter.
Attached Thumbnails
Knife storage.jpg   sink cover.jpg  

Old 05-29-2018, 08:26 PM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Dave;

Note the picture of the rear side of the stove cover, it has a reinforcement, two hooks , and two notches.
I simply open the drawer (deluxe only) as far as pictured, the notches fit on the drawer sides, the hooks hook behind the cabinet face and the partially opened drawer supports the stove cover....
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0034.JPG   DSCF0032.JPG  

DSCF0031.JPG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:11 PM   #14

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Couple of cutting boards from Meijer (like Walmart) an some Spindle rail screwed/glued together. Works great.
Attached Thumbnails
P1000237.JPG  
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:52 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
Couple of cutting boards from Meijer (like Walmart) an some Spindle rail screwed/glued together. Works great.
Great design using off-the shelf items. Might steal that concept although I make custom covers using plastics.

Once you have a cutting board that can be flipped over to use as a serving tray outside, you don't go back!

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:37 PM   #16

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I made something similar to what John did for our Uhaul, using an off the shelf cutting board for the top. Later removed the stove and made that area storage so repurposed the same cutting board as a hinged lid. Another off the shelf cutting board covers the sink. If you need a custom sized cutting board there are a couple sellers on eBay that will cut to your specs a HDPE (plastic) cutting board. I got one with radius corners to fit over the stove in our Casita. They are available in various thickness.
Most plastic fabricating supply companies will cut HDPE plastic boards for you. Or you can just order the material and cut it on your table saw. It is a very friendly material for cutting and routing. You can also purchase it from marine supply stores. Another place to purchase larger sized pieces of it are from the restaurant supply stores. They use it for the countertop material in the prep area. Sometimes you might find pieces of it for sale on craisglist either in the materials section or the section called business.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:27 AM   #17

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Thanks Floyd, that shows it perfectly, that's one sweet mod. Like we used to say at the shop....you dun good .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 01:18 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Once you have a cutting board that can be flipped over to use as a serving tray outside, you don't go back!
I'm kinda picky about what I allow to touch my cutting boards, not sure I'd want to use it as the bottom of a serving tray.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:07 AM   #19

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
This is what i did, works well, light, and easy to move around. The legs straddle stove to clear knobs. Double faced tape for legs. easily removed if you want to change sides. Worked fine for the last three years with camper out in all seasons. held up well. Bought the hdpe board at Target. 10-15$ Carl
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0765.JPG   DSCN0766.JPG  

Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 01:21 PM   #20
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
We bought a Bamboo cutting board from Walmart and my husband attached the feet to hold it in the sink. Works great!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2345.jpg   IMG_2346.jpg  

JBB is offline   Reply With Quote