Dutch Oven Cooking - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2003, 02:06 PM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
miss read you Jeremy

when you said tripod in an earlyer post you where talking about a DO with 3 built in feet Got it now and saved a few $$. Iam still checking prices .
thanks so far to you and Darrel
:cheers

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 05:12 PM   #22

The main concern is where to cook. I agree you do not need a tripod. I think tripods I have seen used are for pots or ovens without legs. I also feel the lodge brand is the best. I have not tried the preseasoned models. That would be interesting. I also use heated water but I try not to use metal scrubbers. I use plastic chore girl type. I feel it keeps the seasoning a little longer.
I use small garbage can lids for cooking. I have also seen quarter barrel lids work quite well and you can usually get them free at construction sites. These will hold the charcoal and oven and can be placed on any non combustable surface. I have also used heavy tin foil (aluminum foil) right on the ground to keep the charcoal cleanup to a minimum. You can start the charcoal on the foil place the charcoal on the lid leave some on bottom cook and clean up. Water on the charcoal will put it out and you are done. I have metal tables about 18 inches high with folding legs which I place the lids. This saves bending while tending the ovens

Old 07-11-2003, 07:24 AM   #23

Lake Shelbyville Chili Cookoff Campfire Chili

Our Dutch Oven has a flat bottom (just like...nevermind:wak ), so I set an old charcoal grill rack on a couple logs and set it on that.

Anyway, brown your ground meat in the d.o. and throw all your favorite chili fixin's in. I don't usually drain the meat, since I use lean stuff. As far as amounts are concerned, I try not to fill the d.o. over 3/4 full. Simmer over (or beside) the fire, stirring occasionally (mostly to let everyone get a whiff - you'll be very popular!). I can usually fight everyone off for about 2 hours, but I've given up in as little as an hour and held on for an entire rainy afternoon.

15 minutes before you plan to eat, mix up a batch of corn bread batter. I usually use a 'just add water' mix, cheap & simple. Pull the chili off the fire and carefully spoon the batter on the top of the chili. (Trust me!) Set the d.o. beside the fire and put the lid back on it.

Now - some Dutch Ovens have a flat lid that sets down in the pan. Our lid is curved, so after wiping it off and oiling it on top, I put it back on the pan upside down. Carefully scoop up some coals from the fire and put a layer of them on top of the d.o. Give it about 15 minutes, but you can check it once or twice-you'll know when the cornbread is done.

Take it to the table, stick a spoon in it, and stand back! We judge the winners of the cookoff by how much chili is left over and I hardly have to clean the d.o. afterwards!

:dance :dance

Dina (& Jim) Schulz

Old 07-17-2003, 10:17 AM   #24

>Our lid is curved, so after wiping it off and oiling it on top, I put it back on the pan upside down. < Dina, very inventive. :thumbs. and adding the cornbread on top, my Tom would love that.

now to look for that old garbage lid I was going to throw away. :E