Dutch Oven Dishes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2014, 07:02 PM   #1

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Dutch Oven Dishes

Still playing around with my dutch ovens and cooked the following at the Cherokee rally in mid-October 2014. They seemed to go over very well, so I'm sharing them here. I have included the original source for the recipes, if I had it. {Most of the modifications I made are in italics in brackets.}

Sweet Potatoes And Onions
{Use less of ingredients if using a smaller DO. About 1/2 for 8".}
2 yellow onions; thinly sliced
4 lbs. sweet potatoes; peeled & thinly sliced
4 Tbs. brown sugar

1/3 cup butter; melted
1/3 cup maple syrup
4 tsp. dried thyme
salt and pepper to taste

Arrange onion slices in bottom of a well oiled 12" Dutch oven. Sprinkle with brown sugar, salt and pepper. Layer sweet potato slices over onions, overlapping. {I alternated onions & potatoes.}
In a small bowl combine maple syrup, melted butter, and thyme. Pour over sweet potatoes and onions. {Tried this with Italian Seasoning blend & it worked.}
Place lid on Dutch oven and bake using 10-12 briquettes bottom and 12-14 briquettes top for 1 hour or until sweet potatoes and onions are tender. {I had small sweet potatoes—about 1” diameter & sliced thin. It cooked in about ˝ hr.}
Serves: 10-12 {provided tastings to 20-30 at the DO demo}
http://papadutch.home.comcast.net/~papadutch/dutch-oven-recipe-swtpotonion.htm

Fizzy Fruit Cobbler Dutch Oven Recipe

Ingredients: 1 can apple pie filling
1 box yellow cake mix
1 can lemon-lime soda (Sprite, 7-Up, Mt. Dew, Squirt)
1 Tbsp. cinnamon

Instructions: Spread the fruit filling across the bottom of the dutch oven. Sprinkle the cake mix on top of the filling - do not stir it.
Pour a little more than 1/2 of the soda on top of the mix from a low height so it does not splatter all over. With a fork, mix the soda into the cake mix, being careful not to mix it into the filling too much - a little is ok. When the cake mix is stirred, sprinkle cinnamon on top.
Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes. Serves 8.
Any combination of flavors that sound good to you can be tried. This example is apple, yellow cake, lemon-lime, and cinnamon. Another might be cherry filling, chocolate cake, cola, and powdered sugar. Or, blueberry filling, white cake, and grape soda. {I’ve done chocolate cake & added choc. chips, and I’ve done chopped apples with cin & sugar, with spice cake & ginger ale.}
dutchovendude.com

Giant Pecan Ring (Dutch Oven Recipes For Campfire Cooking )
{These disappeared in less than an hour at the Thurs nite get-together. I thankfully rescued a couple for our breakfast on Friday.}
Ingredients
  • 2 1lb loaves frozen bread dough, or homemade bread dough, or frozen raw bread rolls
  • 1/2 c butter, melted
  • 1/2 c sugar
  • 1/2 c packed brown sugar
  • 2 tsp cinnamon & 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1/2 c chopped pecans
  • 1-1/4 c sufted powdered sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • Milk (about 4 tsp)
  • Cinnamon sticks (optional)
  • Pecan Halves (Optional)
Lightly grease inside of dutch oven.
On a lightly floured surface, flatten thawed dough slightly. Cut each loaf into 4 pieces (total of 8). Form each piece into a rope about 18" long.
Brush each rope on all sides with melted butter. Stir together sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Place mixture on sheet of foil {I used a plate.} Roll rope in sugar mixture to coat evenly. Shape rope into a coil in the center of the dutch oven. Roll another rope in sugar. Attach securely to end of first rope and continue coil. Continue coating ropes and attaching to form a 10-11" circle {I continued to the edge of the pan.}
Sprinkle any remaining sugar over coil. Sprinkle with chopped pecans. Cover and let rise in a warm place for about 30-40 min. Bake at 350 for 30 to 3 min or till done. Cover with foil last 15 minutes to prevent over browning if necessary. Cool about 15 min. Stir together powdered sugar, vanilla, and enough milk to make a thick glaze. Spoon over top of cake. Decorate with cinnamon sticks and pecan halves, if desired. Serves 16.

{I used about 2 doz. frozen raw dinner rolls (for my 10” DO) that I rolled into sausage-like shapes. I add nutmeg to the cin-sugar mix. I dipped the rolls into the butter and then into the cin-sugar mix. I found that I had difficulty joining the ends together, but they were touching. I didn’t have pecans, so I used toasted sesame seeds that I sprinkled on after tipping the cooked rolls out onto a plate and slathering with the glaze.}
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 07:29 PM   #2
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Thanks, Lora. I just added an 8-qt. 12" to my holdings, so I'm suddenly interested in DO recipes again!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:29 PM   #3

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Thank you. Can't wait to try some of those.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:06 AM   #4

Name: steve
Trailer: Escape
Washington
Registry
NICE! thanks, will try these soon. We're doing a winter trial period seeing which receipts will make the cut for next season's travels!

steve
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote