Dutch Oven Recipes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2005, 11:53 PM   #1

Trailer: 1992 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
<span style="font-family:Arial"><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Hey Gang,

Let's submit our favorite Dutch Oven recipes -- the ones we've tried and liked.

Nancy
</span></span>
Nancy in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 11:54 PM   #2

Chicken Cordon Blu
Submitted by Lori Sanders

6 large boneless chicken breasts, halved
6 slices boiled ham
6 slices Swiss cheese
1/2 teaspoon chopped chives
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 eggs with 2 tablespoons water
1 cup herb-flavored bread crumbs, finely ground.

Place each chicken breast between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Gently pound flat, using a rolling pin or mallet, until 1/4 inch thick. Work from center out. Remove wrap from one side. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Center 1/2 slice boiled ham, cut to fit, on each piece.

Sprinkle ham with 2 Tablespoons shredded Swiss cheese and diced chives Fold one end of chicken over ham and cheese. Fold in sides, then finish rolling up. Press ends to seal.

Combine flour, salt, and pepper in 1 small shallow pan. Whip eggs and water. Coat chicken with flour, next dip in egg, and roll in crumbs. Bake for 30 min. Turn as needed to prevent burning.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:55 PM   #3

Lori's Sourdough Cinnamon Rolls
Submitted by Lori Sanders

Combine in large bowl:
1/2 cup starter
1 cup milk
2 cups flour
Cover and leave at room temperature overnight.

In the morning, beat together:
1/4 cup soft butter
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg
Blend into first mixture.

Combine and mix with other mixture:
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
Turn onto floured board and knead until smooth and satiny. Roll out to 10" x 14".

Brush surface with melted butter.
Sprinkle with 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup raisins

Melt 2 Tablespoons butter in bottom of Dutch oven. Roll up dough, starting on long side. Cut roll in 1/2" to 1" slices, and place around in oven. Let rise in warm place for about 1 hour, or until nearly doubled. Bake in moderate oven (375*) for 25-30 minutes.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:56 PM   #4

TRIPLE CHOCOLATE MARSHMALLOW CAKE

1 1/2 cup water
1 10-oz. bag miniature marshmallows
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 chocolate cake mixes; prepared as directed
1 cup light brown sugar
2 Cadbury Caramello bars broken into pieces.

1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup white chocolate chips

8 Qt Dutch Oven. Spray the oven well with cooking spray on sides
and bottom.

Pour the water, cocoa powder, and brown sugar into the Dutch oven amd mix. Spreading the marshmallows out evenly, then cover with
1/2 the chocolate cake mix.

Add a layer Caramello bars, then pour the remaining batter over the chocolate pieces. Sprinkle chocolate chips over the cake batter.

Cover oven and bake using 8-10 briquettes bottom and 14-16 briquettes top for 60 minutes.

Serve warm with whipped cream.

Serves: 10-12
Old 11-19-2005, 07:22 AM   #5

Trailer: 1996 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel ('TOGETHERNEST' SLEEPS 8
CAMP STEW
I made this at the Lanesboro Meet and no one complained.
Get yourself 2 nice marbled chuck steaks have your grill good and hot sear both sides of the steaks real good. I mean almost burn em. Put your Dutch oven on the fire, put some cooking oil in probably 1/8 cup ad about ¼ cup flour and brown this to a nice dark brown . Cut seared steak in strips about ½ inch wide and ad to the flour along with about 1 quart of water. Cover and simmer for 4 hours. You can do this on the fire or with charcoal under and on top of DO. Now ad about 1 cup celery you should have the cutting kind with lots of leaves or use celery seed, 2 cups carrots 2 cups spuds About 2 -1/4erd onions 1 cup rutabaga [ now these veggies should be cut quite large,] and 1 quart stewed tomatoes. Of coarse you can throw in whatever else is on hand. WHAT ABOUT SOME OF THAT OKRA I HEAR SO MUCH ABOUT? At this time add about a three fingered pinch of salt 2 fingered pinch pepper and 1 running over tablespoon honey Put her back on the fire and simmer for another hour. Now take a look at her get a good sample and check for salt etc. and thicken with water corn starch and paprika mixed together. Stew should have a nice thick gravy and the veggies should be quite large , otherwise you got soup.. Now those stewed maters I put in there are home canned and they probably got things that those store bought ones don’t so you might want to add a little thyme , garlic and basil. Now this like so many other things would have been better if you made it yesterday!
Lyndon Laney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 03:46 PM   #6

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13 ft
Dutch Oven Cornbread
This went well with Lyndon's stew

1 cup butter; melted
2 cups cornmeal
4 eggs; beaten
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 cups milk
4 tsp. baking powder
2 cups sugar
1 tsp. salt

In a large bowl mix together butter, eggs, and milk. In a separate bowl sift together sugar, cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients 1 cup at a time until well blended. Spoon cornbread mixture into a lightly greased 12" Dutch oven and spread evenly.

Cover Dutch oven and bake using 8-10 briquettes bottom and 14-16 briquettes top for 45 minutes or until cornbread turns golden brown.

NOTE: For even browning make sure to turn the oven and lid 1/4 turn in opposite directions every 10 minutes.

Serve warm with honey butter.

Serves: 10-12
Jeremy Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 10:42 PM   #7

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Aunt Jody's Camp Goulash

1 lb. ground lean hamburger or turkey meat
1 clove garlic
1/2 medium bell pepper, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 rib celery, chopped
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon basil, thyme, and oregano mixed (or Italian herb blend)
salt and pepper to taste
1 14 1/2 oz. can stewed tomatoes
1 15 oz. can pinto beans
1 15 oz. can tomato sauce with herbs

Add Worcestershire sauce to meat, then brown slowly with garlic in a small Dutch oven. Drain ant grease. Add bell pepper, onion, celery, and seasonings. Cook slowly until onions become translucent. Add stewed tomatoes, beans, and tomato sauce. Simmer slowly for at least an hour, adding water as necessary. Serves two or three, and can be easily doubled.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:53 PM   #8

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13 ft
Shipwreck Hash

1 lb. Jimmy Dean Sausage
2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1/2 - 3/4 Bag frozen shredded hashbrowns
5 eggs
1 Cup Milk
Onions / Peppers to taste
Salt / Pepper to taste

Brown sausage. This can be done in the bottom of a heated Dutch Oven, camp skillet, or at home before you go camping.

Combine browned sausage and remaining ingredients in Dutch Oven, mix well. Bake at 375 for about an hour.

Yummy
Jeremy Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 02:31 PM   #9

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
Yummmm! Good to see a thread about this again!

Breakfast in the DO!

I like to brown 1.5 pounds of Italian Sausage, remove the excess grease.
Return the sausage to the bottom of the pan, add 4-5 medium sliced potates,
1 cup of celery, 1 medium chopped onion, dill, salt, pepper, sometimes broccoli or cauliflower, asparagus..whatever I have on hand.
Cover all this with 10 eggs.
Cook over 11 coals for 1 hour adding coals to the top of the eggs about 40 minutes into the hour. At this time, I add 2 cups of cheese, usually cheddar, sometimes, ricotta, whatever I have on hand.

It is delicious. Good luck and enjoy!
Feeds 8

If I make cornbread at the same time, I will put the skillet or my other DO on top of the first one and will start all this about 20 minutes into the hour rather than 40 minutes.

Thanks for all this work, Nancy!!!
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 08:25 PM   #10

Trailer: 16 ft Casita and 1973 Compact Jr / 2002 Dodge Ram 1500
O.K. gang I've done gone and bought my first-ever DO, it's still in the box. A beautiful twelve inch LODGE with legs and a flanged lid. I have also built myself a tri-pod, in case one is needed.
I've read a great deal of recipes, but somehow I missed something. Do you cook bread in the oven itself, or do you put the bread in a bread-pan, and set that in the oven as you would in a regular oven?
I know this must sound stupid to you who have been at it a long time, but this is all new to me.
One time, before I die, I want to go off out in the woods and cook a complete meal.
I'm thinking cornbread and vege soup here.
Also; if you want a stew, do you just dump all your favorite ingredients into the naked pot, and cook???
Emmit D. Acklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 08:52 PM   #11

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
O.K. gang I've done gone and bought my first-ever DO, it's still in the box. A beautiful twelve inch LODGE with legs and a flanged lid. I have also built myself a tri-pod, in case one is needed.
I've read a great deal of recipes, but somehow I missed something. Do you cook bread in the oven itself, or do you put the bread in a bread-pan, and set that in the oven as you would in a regular oven?
I know this must sound stupid to you who have been at it a long time, but this is all new to me.
One time, before I die, I want to go off out in the woods and cook a complete meal.
I'm thinking cornbread and vege soup here.
Also; if you want a stew, do you just dump all your favorite ingredients into the naked pot, and cook???
Congratulations on your DO. Sounds like you got the just the right one.

We usually cook Bread directly in the Dutch Oven. In our case, we do Sour Dough Bread alot. We let the bread do the last rise in the DO before we put it on the coals.

The first thing you want to do is season your DO. Then in our experiance it is best to start off cooking things that will continue to season the iron. Dishes like “Tamale Pie” or “Sore Tummy Breakfast” works very well. The “Tamale Pie” would fill your “cornbread and vege soup” wish.

Are you coming to the Oregon Gathering? We will be teaching a Dutch Oven Workshop.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 09:15 PM   #12

Tamale Pie

1 - 2lb lean ground beef
1 onion, chopped
2tsp chili powder
2 - 16oz cans stewed tomatoes
2 - 16oz cans sweet corn
1 - 16oz can kidney beans
i box corn muffin mix
1 egg
milk

Fry ground beef and onion together. Drain grease if necessary. Add tomatoes, drain corn, and chile powder. Heat through.

Mix corn muffin mix with egg and milk. Pour over meat mixture and do not stir at this point.

Cover and bake for 20-25 minutes.

14” Dutch Oven with 7-8 coals on bottom and Full outter ring of coals on top approx. 20 coals.

Serves 8
Old 04-23-2006, 06:36 AM   #13

Trailer: 16 ft Casita and 1973 Compact Jr / 2002 Dodge Ram 1500
Thank you for the information.
I would dearly love to attend your gathering, but alas, health problems, fuel costs, etc prevents our traveling very far afield, except for a life-or-death situation.
I have been looking into the Sour Dough sites too, mostly out of curiosity, but also for the interesting reading.

Thank you again!
Emmit D. Acklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:35 AM   #14

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp
I seem to remember having a bad result cooking with tomatoes in a cast iron container. A sour iron-acid reaction. Anybody else?
shirley munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 01:23 PM   #15

It all depends on how you use tomatoes.

This Tamale Pie recipe works extremely well. This is a beginners recipe. I used to teach my Boy Scouts this recipe. It could be the cooking of the meat to start that makes a good coat of oil in the pot long before the tomatoes are added.

enjoy
Old 04-23-2006, 03:26 PM   #16

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
would you guys knock it off, I lost 15 lbs in 3 days 2 weeks ago with a stomach virus and obviously could not read this subject then, now I just read 2 pages of it and gained 7 lbs back and never tasted a thing
Old 04-24-2006, 12:03 AM   #17

Quote:
would you guys knock it off, I lost 15 lbs in 3 days 2 weeks ago with a stomach virus and obviously could not read this subject then, now I just read 2 pages of it and gained 7 lbs back and never tasted a thing
I hear ya.

(PS: I’m down 60 pounds so far)
Old 04-24-2006, 04:13 PM   #18

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
My new favorite Dutch oven dessert. Was popular at the Bluebonnet Rally.

Cherry Dump Cake for Dutch Oven

1 can (20 oz) crushed pineapple - undrained
1 can (21 oz) cherry pie filling
1 package (18 1/4 oz) plain yellow cake mix
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) butter, melted
1/2 cup grated coconut
1 cup pecans, chopped

Spoon pineapple evenly over bottom ot the Dutch oven. Cover the pineapple with cherry pie filling. Pour dry cake mix evenly over the fruit mixture so that it reaches the sides of the D. O. Drizzle melted butter over all the Dutch oven contents. Sprinkle the coconut and pecans evenly over the top of the cake. Cook for 1 hour in covered Dutch oven with 18 briquets on top and 6 under the bottom. Topping should be nicely browned. Best served warm with vanilla ice cream.

Tom Trostel "never trust a skinny cook"
Old 04-24-2006, 05:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Tom Trostel "never trust a skinny cook"
So True.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:18 AM   #20

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
Howdy! The Dutch Oven was out the week before last on my first camping trip! The menu included porks ribs, long, barbequed, and salads and bread and a dessert. All but the salads were cooked in the DO.
In the DO for ribs, I heated a few tablespoons of olive oil, browned the meat for a few minutes, removed the excess oil, dumped about 20 oz of barbeque sauce over all, cooked with 12 on top/12 on the bottom, turning every 20 minutes for an hour. The next time I do this, I will add coals and cook it all for about 3 hours as I've done in the past. The longer, the better!

The dessert...really sweet, DH loved it. It's in the recipe forum under my rhubarb thread.

I had some frozen bread dough in the freezer, took one along, let it sit in the refrigerator over night and when the ribs were 20 minutes into cooking, I sliced the dough, laid each piece into a cast iron skillet that had just enough olive oil to coat the bottom. I salted and peppered the bread and turned it about 15 minutes into cooking. It took about 35-40 minutes, uncovered, with about 12 coals under the pan. It was a great way to use up some dough that was too long in the freezer. It tasted great, was a bit heavy, and melted the butter just right!

Cheers!
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote