Dutch oven table? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2014, 08:00 PM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Dutch oven table?

I'm not really looking for something to take camping as much as something to use at home. I like the idea of cooking outside in a camp oven during hot weather, but don't have a really safe place to set an oven on the ground or deck. So I've been looking at tables. The smaller Camp Chef table would fit both my Dutch ovens- though I like the looks of the Lodge table it may be overkill for what I need. Any opinions? Any other suggestions?
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:11 PM   #2

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I have a Camp Chef table that is 8 years old. It's good as new. I don't use it much usually when doing workshops or demos at rallies. I find it too big and heavy to take on most camping trips. It's very similar to the Lodge and cost less. I got mine at Cabela's.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:07 PM   #3

Name: will
Trailer: 16' Scamp
Wyoming
What we use on the deck is a 16" square concrete paver with a galvanized steel pan to place the charcoal in.
TO ALL NAYSAYERS.......... after 3 plus years there is NO sign of the galvanizing burning !
The pan is from wallyworld ( I think) and has "bergan basics" embossed in the bottom.
for camping I use a pan, about 2" deep, cut from the bottom of a metal 5 gallon bucket.

The Cast Iron section of tnttt.com has lots of ideas.
Wyowill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:45 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I found a metal oil pan intended to be used to catch the oil when you changed oil in automobile. I pickup of a cheap grate with legs. I also have a couple metal dog dishes from Wal-Mart. I usually put the started charcoal in one of the dog dishes, then with tongs move what is needed under the dutch oven to the oil pan. When using one of the smaller DOs I use one of the dog dishes instead of the oil pan. Cheap and works great. Also a lot easier to haul around than a iron table.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:04 PM   #5

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I have a round covered charcoal grill- I wonder if I can find a good pan to put on that so that I can use it? I'll have to check and see what I can find. Darn, just threw out a battered old pizza pan that would have worked. The main thing is to get it off the ground and make room for two pots.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:29 PM   #6

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
Check this out. It's a little old, a little new. http://toponautic.blogspot.com/2014/....html?spref=fb

I was going to use the above idea when I found a free stainless steel grill with a flat bottom that I use. Kept the lid on for those windy days. The hole in the bottom makes it easy to sweep the ashes into a galvanized pail.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:49 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
I have a round covered charcoal grill- I wonder if I can find a good pan to put on that so that I can use it? I'll have to check and see what I can find. Darn, just threw out a battered old pizza pan that would have worked. The main thing is to get it off the ground and make room for two pots.
One of the beauties of DO cooking you only need space for 1 DO the second sits on top. We've done stacks up to 4, and I've seen bigger stacks.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:02 AM   #8

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
What about a volcano grill. You can set it on a picnic, or other table. You can stack it several grills high, a grown man can stand on it.

When you don't want to use it for Dutch oven cooking, you can use it for a grill or even other style oven cooking, by adding the cover. It is tri fuel, so you have options. You don't use as much charcoal and with the cover you can sometimes use no top charcoal or even go without the Dutch oven lid, all together.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote