favorite kitchenware? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2014, 08:58 PM   #41

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Wow, Sarah, I couldn't help but notice the paint job on your trailer. Could you post photos inside and out on the registry, please?
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:04 PM   #42
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut501 View Post
Ian,
Did you buy the Teflon finish cookware or the regular?
Thanks,
I am Ian and I bought the straight Stainless Steel, I am not a fan of no-stick coating. I find the stainless steel finish excellent and very easy to clean.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:16 AM   #43

Name: Jane and Greg
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul CT
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
I am Ian and I bought the straight Stainless Steel, I am not a fan of no-stick coating. I find the stainless steel finish excellent and very easy to clean.

Electric hot plate, boils water in just a very few minutes, a Baby George Foreman, makes all kinds of sandwiches easy. Need to find better pan, but like one I have because it has the stainless 4 poached egg insert.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Jane SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:45 AM   #44

Name: Rick
Trailer: TBA
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

Another big key to our camp cooking is our Dickenson Spitfire 180 BBQ. I did a review on it a couple years back here. This is one high quality built unit, that performs wonderfully, and will undoubtedly last us for many, many years. It doesn't look quite this pretty any more, as it needs a good cleaning after tons of use.

Jim, I know you do a lot of remote camping. Do you ever worry about the grill attracting bears?
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:22 AM   #45

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
Stainless, aluminum or cast iron for me. Have found that the non-stick surface does not hold up well to being scrubbed with sand. Used to do that a lot for canoe or back country camping. Scrub with sand until clean then wipe and rinse with a small amount of boiling water. Clean, sanitized, no soap and very little water.

Don't do that sort of camping much any more but it drove my choices over the years when I accumulated equipment.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:13 PM   #46

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Jim, I know you do a lot of remote camping. Do you ever worry about the grill attracting bears?
Not most of the time, though I have put it away when the chances of bears are higher. The thing is built tough, but a bear could easily do it lots of damage.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:12 PM   #47

Name: Rick
Trailer: TBA
Wisconsin
I guess my concern isn't so much a damaged grill it's just attracting them in the first place. Maybe I'm just overly paranoid because almost all my experience in bear country is while backpacking.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:41 PM   #48

Name: Sharon
Trailer: UHaul
Massachusetts
Registry
I did order an Aeropress. It seems bulkier than a small Melitta filter, but once I figured out how to make coffee in the Aeropress without all the water running through it, it makes a mighty good cup of coffee. So I decided it was worth the space in my tiny kitchen. I also went out and looked at some of the backpacker kitchenware. It was so tiny - cute - but so tiny. In the end I bought a GSI glacier kettle, MSR Stowaway pot 1.6L, MSR Alpine Fry Pan, the collapsible colander with removable bottom, the set of 3 collapsible bowls, and a collapsible soup mug with lid. I have my travel coffee mug and a set of metal plates, bowls, cup from before as well. I think I am set now.
Sharon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:36 PM   #49

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Sounds like some good compact choices. You'll be fine. We find when camping, the meal ratings all go up at least one star. The simplest things taste better when you're famished. We noticed that one day while eating a grilled cheese sandwich. It was the best we ever had, although it was made exactly the same as we make them at home. Enjoy your new cookware.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:17 PM   #50

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
When I was doing my stint in the Boy Scouts (right after they stopped wearing the Smokey Bear hats and Leggings) they wrote a lot of stuff about light pack camping... only it seemed that the guys who were light packers and the guys who cooked all the greatest outdoor meals were two different groups. Anyway, with a stint as a short order cook added to those experiences, I came to the conclusion that if I'm going to cook, I need a couple of gas burners and an oven (enter my Camp Chef Oven unit to supplement the two burners in the Burro) and a modest assortment of stainless steel cookware. I'm prejudiced against aluminum and all of the non-stick cookware, and although I used to enjoy using black cast iron, I now am committed to that copper bottom stainless that comes from Revereware. A coffee pot (6 cup percolator) along with a 7" fry pan and a 1 1/2 and a 3 qt pot (along with the cast iron griddle that comes with the Camp Chef) and I'm good to go. All of those specialty pots and pans made just for campers may be OK for some folks, but I'd rather get my RW stainless @ Goodwill and save the difference for gas and camping fees. JMHO, YMMV.

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:23 PM   #51

Name: Lesa
Trailer: In the market!
Arizona
I love the size and fold up handle on my Stanley pot BUT they are not holding up like I would want.
I LOVED and should have kept my GSI haulite tea kettle.
I expect that I will join the ranks of the Goodwill and thrift store cookware folks as I begin living in my Scamp.
SimplyLesa is offline   Reply With Quote