Getting your just desserts - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2002, 09:24 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Getting your just desserts

Ok, I'm guilty of a play on words ... instead of getting your just deserts (getting what you deserve) ... I'm just talking about desserts.

I'm a sucker for a cookie on the road.

In fact, we don't leave home without a bag of store-bought iced oatmeal cookies on board the trailer (well, I say we but I usually eat them all![/b].

I was going to say that I eat a cookie or two for dessert after dinner, but truth be told, I eat the things all day long ... including a bedtime snack.

Give me a glass of milk and a couple of cookies ... and I'm guaranteed a good nights sleep.

But this past summer, my iced oatmeal cookie was replaced by a new favorite ... one that's hard to find here in the states ... but is plentiful in Canada ... where stores stock several different varieties!

And that's Maple Cookies ... maple leafed shaped cookies made with real maple syrup.

Man, I could eat the whole bag in one sitting (unless Pam catches me!).

I bring all this up for two reasons:

1. Some of my new Canadian friends may be wondering what to send me for Christmas.

2. I'm wondering what y'all do to get your just desserts on the road?

Do you carry cookies? Bake some goodies in a dutch oven?

Come on, I know I'm not the only dessert lover ... particularly when we traveling the trailer .. (I can eat all the cookies I want on the road because my wife hikes my fanny off!)

So what is your favorite dessert on the road?

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 09:30 AM   #2

Favorite order

just dessert

Marlene gets those maple cookies locally. I'll find out where when she gets back in town.

Old 10-18-2002, 03:56 PM   #3

Come on!

Come on! Am I the only one who eats desserts while camping?

What is this, a group of salad eaters or something?

How do you satisfy your sweet tooth in your trailer?

Nick ... my daughter can get the Maple leaf cookies at Safeway, near where she lives ... is there a Safeway near you?

Old 10-18-2002, 07:12 PM   #4

Dessert

Marlene usually makes a container full of her special cookies There is oatmeal in them so I call them breakfast cookies.

We also usually carry some store bought cookies in case of emergencies.

I don't think we have Safeways. I think they come from Tom Thumb:reye2

Old 10-18-2002, 07:21 PM   #5

Cookies

I'm partial to Famous Amos' chocolate chip with pecans. However, I don't live that way anymore....

Old 10-19-2002, 05:21 PM   #6

On further reflection...

A triple batch of my grandmother's recipe of Ginger Snaps helped us make a trip from Austin, TX to Corvalis, Oregon, back in 1975. Made with molasses and a hefty amount of ginger, they're pretty spicey... and we loved 'em!

Hadn't thought about those cookies in years... Thanks for the memory jog, Charles!

And speaking of cookies, which we seem to be, I got a recipe last December out of Fine Cooking magazine, for the most incredible chocolate chip cookies I've ever tasted (and I've tried lotsa chocolate chip cookies...!) Made with a generous amount of butter, and a dash of instant coffee (which sounds weird, but the coffee flavor is not overwhelming) and cinnamon, these guys are awesome. Probably really would help keep the driver awake, too!

:sunny

Old 10-19-2002, 06:47 PM   #7

Mary, don't s'pose you'd like to share that cookie recipe, would ya? Am also looking for a good Oatmeal traveling cookie recipe if anyone were to have one.
Thanks mucho,
Bill H
:wave

Old 10-19-2002, 08:28 PM   #8

Witch one?

Ginger snaps or Chocolate chip?

Old 10-19-2002, 11:16 PM   #9

Well, I'm partial to Chocolate chip, but both would be good.
Thanks,
Bill H :spin

Old 10-20-2002, 07:25 AM   #10

Recipe

Bill, I can quickly put my hands on the Gingersnaps recipe (thanks to having done a family cookbook a couple of years ago, the recipe's already typed up and ready to share!) I'll have to go hunt up the chocolate chip recipe, in my back issues of Fine Cooking. But try these out while I find the other:

Mary Ella Clark's Gingersnaps!

Cream together 3/4 cup shortening and 1 cup sugar

Add 1 egg and 1/4 cup molasses

Sift together: 2 cups flour, 1 tsp. cinnamon, 1 Tbsp. ginger, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 2 tsps. baking soda

Add sifted ingredients to the creamed sugar/egg mixture.

Shape teaspoonfuls of dough into walnut sized balls. Roll in granulated sugar. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.

Bake at 350F degrees for 12 to 15 minutes.

Tip! Before making these cookies, pitch the bottle of ground ginger that's been lurking in your spice cabinet for a month of Sundays, and go buy a new one! Makes a huge difference!

Old 04-18-2003, 02:29 PM   #11

Mary F.

Like Bill I'm "partial" to chocolate chip coolies too. Did you find the recipe?
Jean

Old 04-20-2003, 11:01 AM   #12

desserts???

did somebody say dessert??? took a while to hear it from Canada, But here I am !!!

My favourite dessert for snacking is Dad's chocolate chip cookie.

On the road we both like "Presidents Choice" cheesecake.
It's a premade ready to serve frozen cheesecake that is out of this world in all it's flavours. It comes from our local grocery store, part of the National Grocers Chain. The rest of you 'nucks out there have probably got one somewhere nearby.I tell my wife it's good to bring because it helps keep the fridge cold, but I don't think she believes me..
BTW while travelling we both like salty potato chips, it seems we make less bathroom breaks that way.

Old 04-22-2003, 05:16 PM   #13

>>President's Choice

Oh man, Joe, did you ever open a can of worms. I love President's Choice brand cookies and its diet cola.

As a result, we stop at the first Atlantic Superstore we see when we cross the border into Canada.

Sadly, they aren't offered widely in the states ... although I keep looking.

Funny thing happened during our recent Florida trip. I got the hungeries for some maple leaf cookies (another Canadian favor)(which Nick says he buys in Texas)(So I thought I'd look in Florida).

The cookie manager (or someone stacking cookies in the cookie aisle) asked: "May I help you find something?"

After I recovered from my shock, I asked "Yes, I'm looking for Maple Leaf Cookies. I usually buy them in Canada."

"Sir, you're in Florida. We have some Key Lime Cookies, but no Maple cookies."

Yeah, right, like I'm going to buy some Key Lime cookies when I got the hungries for Maple Leaf Cookies, so I walked out.

Later, however, I kept thinking about how good those Key Lime Cookies might have been.

Old 04-23-2003, 07:24 AM   #14

Cooookie!

Last night I saw for the first time a commercial for a new "fig" newton. Strawberry shortcake newtons!

Almost jumped up and ran out to get some right then. Today for sure. Sugar Overload Alert!!

Old 04-26-2003, 06:36 PM   #15

How soon we forget!

Charles,

How soon we forget. It was we who turned you on to maple cookies. Though, we were within 40 minutes of the Canadian border when you had your first one in June of 2002!

They are hard to find in the states, but all is not lost - they may be ordered over the internet, in a lot of 3 boxes, or a case of 12.

Here's the web link from Maple Grove of Vermont:

http://www.store.yahoo.com/maplegrove/mufo...forcookint.html

Enjoy.

Old 04-27-2003, 09:09 AM   #16

No Nathan, I'll never forget you getting me addicted to Maple Cookies in New Hampshire last summer (by the by, New Hampshire is nowhere near NEbraska!)

As I recall, I pretty much ate your whole bag of Maple cookies ... and every bag of Maple cookies I've encountered since.

Oh yeah, and thanks for giving me an internet cookie connection ... in case all my friends want to buy me an early Christmas present.

Guess at this website, instead of the website leaving a cookie, we'll be taking a cookie (or case of cookies).

Old 04-29-2003, 06:25 PM   #17

been in need...

I've been in need of a cookie fix and MY cookies arrived today !

Old 04-30-2003, 05:57 AM   #18

Nathan ... glad your order arrived. You have my address, right? In case you have any cookies left over from the shipment.

I know Daisy wants you to watch your diet. I'll take them off your hands!

Old 05-03-2003, 01:30 PM   #19

President's Choice

Quote:
Orginally posted by Charles Watts

>>President's Choice

Oh man, Joe, did you ever open a can of worms. I love President's Choice brand cookies and its diet cola.

As a result, we stop at the first Atlantic Superstore we see when we cross the border into Canada.

Sadly, they aren't offered widely in the states ... although I keep looking.
Not sure about your neck of the woods, but around here Randall's/Tom Thumb Supermarkets carry President's Choice. Not sure if it is the same, but their cookies are totally awesome!

Since I never learned how to eat just one, I try not to buy them. ;)

Old 05-04-2003, 10:09 AM   #20

Happy Days are here again!

Pam was cleaning out and rearranging the deep freeze this morning.

Guess what she found!

A package of Maple Leaf cookies!

I'm going to savor them like they are liquid gold ... well, not liquid gold ... crunchy, savory, tasty gold, filled with a golden Maple gold-leaf filling.