Here we go again! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2008, 09:49 PM   #1

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
Since there are so many good cooks around here, anybody got a wonderful recipe for some kind of soup? We have another church campout coming up in two weeks and this time it's a soup cookoff, as opposed to a chili cookoff. I make several good tortilla/enchilada soups so that's a thought. And I have a good and unusual clam chowder recipe. Other than that.... Anybody got a soup you could die for and wouldn't mind sharing the recipe? Thanks!
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:16 AM   #2

Trailer: Boler 1300 1977 (#2033 L EGGO)
This is a soup I make which always gets rave reviews.

CURRY MEATBALL SOUP

1 lb. lean ground beef
1/2 tsp, nutmeg
salt and pepper
Form into small balls (about 1/2')

Saute 1/2 cup chopped onion in butter
Add 1 tsp. garlic powder
Add 3 tsps. curry powder
3 T flour
2 tsps. butter

Stir together over medium heat

Add 8 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup raw rice ( not instant)
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms

Bring to boil and simmer for at least 20 min.

Serve with crusty bread --- Enjoy!

Diane
Des Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:21 AM   #3

Trailer: 1960 28 ft Airstream
Quote:
Since there are so many good cooks around here, anybody got a wonderful recipe for some kind of soup? We have another church campout coming up in two weeks and this time it's a soup cookoff, as opposed to a chili cookoff. I make several good tortilla/enchilada soups so that's a thought. And I have a good and unusual clam chowder recipe. Other than that.... Anybody got a soup you could die for and wouldn't mind sharing the recipe? Thanks!

Nothing beats a really good clam chowder!! (White, not red?) or if cost is not an issue...a rich lobster bisque...yummm lots of heavy cream, lobster...mmmmm....
Pamela H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Al V
One i love from Food Network and R. Ray Clam Chowda Mug O Soup with Deviled Ham and Cheese Melt mug Toppers
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael...cipe/index.html
Ingredients
Clam Chowda:
2 tablespoons butter
2 slices thick cut bacon, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 ribs celery with greens, chopped
4 sprigs fresh thyme
Salt and pepper
2 teaspoons hot sauce, eyeball it
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 pint half-and-half
2 cups chicken stock, from soup aisle
1 cup hash brown style raw shredded potatoes, from dairy aisle of the market
2 cans whole baby clams and their juice

Deviled Ham Melts:
2 sandwich size English muffins, split
3/4 pound boiled deli ham, chopped
1 tablespoon paprika
2 tablespoons hot sauce
3 to 4 tablespoons yellow mustard, squirt top bottle -- eyeball it
A handful parsley, curly or flat
8 deli slices, about 8 to 10 ounces, white sharp Cheddar

Directions
In a medium pot over medium high heat melt butter. Add bacon and onions, celery and thyme sprigs. Season with salt, pepper and hot sauce and cook 5 minutes. Add flour and cook a minute more.

Add half-and-half and stock and bring to a bubble, then stir in potatoes and clams. Bring soup back to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes, until potatoes are cooked and soup has thickened to coat the back of a spoon.

Heat toaster oven or broiler then toast split English muffins. While muffins toast, grind ham with paprika, hot sauce, mustard, and parsley in a food processor. Spread ham on toasted muffins. Top each muffin half with 2 slices Cheddar and melt cheese in toaster oven or under broiler.

Remove the thyme sprigs from the soup. The thyme leaves will have fallen off into the soup. Stir and adjust seasonings in your soup. Pour soup into mugs. Serve with deviled ham and cheese mug toppers.

Al V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:44 PM   #5

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Martha's Vegetable Beef Soup (from allrecipes.com)

1/2 lb. ground beef
1 can (14.5 oz) stewed tomatoes
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
2 cups beef broth
1 package (10 oz) frozen mixed vegetables
1/4 cup dry onion soup mix
1 small potato, diced
1 teaspoon sugar

In a large pot over medium heat, saute the beef for 5 minutes. Drain excess fat.
Add all other ingredients, bring to a boil then reduce heat to low. Cover and
simmer for 20 minutes.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:42 PM   #6

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Baked Potato soup.

I am so bad at measurements, I just throw it together, kinda eyeball how much of this how much of that!
In a pot I make a rue, melt a stick of butter and throw in a chopped onion let the onion carmelize then start stiring in flour and milk. once my rue is done I start adding

I useally use 6 to 8 taters ( I bake them the night before) dice them up skins and all.

Ham steak diced (use how much you want depending on how meaty you want your soup)

You can add more milk or water depending on how creamy you want it. Salt and pepper to taste, let simmer for 1/2 hour to 45 minutes then just before serving start adding the cheese! I use a lot of cheese, but you can just add what you like. let melt and serve with diced green onion's on top! Ewww, some french bread and a bowl of this sounds yummy right about now. Sorry I don't cook by measurements, I hate to follow a recipe so I just learned to throw in what I think works. That's why I am not a baker.................. Bake goods don't come out right unless the measurements are pretty accurate. Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:42 PM   #7

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
MY FAVORITE WINTERTIME CROCK POT BEAN SOUP

3 cans of Great Northern Beans, or dried Great Northern's that's been soaking for 24 hours, drain off water a few times to "de-gas"'em. (using canned beans are a LOT easier)
3 Cans Water
1 Onion, Chopped
1 Ham Hock, or even better, 1 or more packages of Country Ham pieces, the more the merrier.

Put it all in the Crock Pot, set it on low & forget it for 3-4 or more hours. (Or until you can't stand the wonderful aroma any longer)
If you're in a hurry you can set it on high but watch it in case it tries to boil over on ya. Stick a plate under the crockpot just in case.

Serve with a square of cornbread in the bottom of the bowl, it's optional, but preferred.

My favorite way is to serve it in a great big coffee mug. You can eat standing up.

BE CAREFUL THAT YOU DON'T EAT THE WHOLE CROCK POT YOURSELF...SHARE WITH FRIENDS.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:21 PM   #8

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Leftovers soup... Chicken with Long Grain & Wild Rice

About 1/2 Sam's Club or Grocery Store Chicken, pulled, no skin or bones...
Leftover Uncle Ben's Long Grain & Wild Rice (about one to one and a half cups... don't use the quick cook rice, always too mushy, especially in the soup...)
1 quart chicken broth, low sodium, or Better than Bouillon Chicken base, four cups from directions on jar
3 carrots, diced
3 stalks celery, diced,
1/2 large onion, diced
Saute the last three in a little olive oil till limp, to open flavor.
Add the broth, pulled chicken, and simmer with a shake or two of Mrs. Dash (original) seasoning mix, and a few shakes of dried parsley for color.
Add the rice a little at a time... This will expand as it cooks, so use less than you think you want unless you'll serve the soup immediately. Makes 4 big, flavorful bowls, and then some.

For an extra rich flavor, slice and saute 4-8 ounces of your favorite mushrooms with the other vegetables.
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:53 PM   #9

OK, now I'm really stressing--too many good recipes to choose from! I just found out I have to take a healthy soup to a potluck in two weeks, so I only have to narrow down to two recipes. The rest I'll have to try here and there over the winter. I'll let you all know how it all works out! Thanks for the input everyone!
Old 10-26-2008, 04:18 PM   #10

Well, I finally decided on Diane's curry meatball soup because it was unusual. And it was delicious! I overheard many people saying, "I really like that green soup with the rice." Unfortunately, I got beat out by beef vegetable barley and I think a chili soup took second. People around here just don't appreciate the unusual, I guess. There was a red pepper soup that was awesome too, but it didn't win either. Thanks, Diane, for a new recipe that I know we'll continue to enjoy for the years to come! I need to make soup for school on Friday (I think I'll make the potato) and soup for a class for a week from Tuesday night, so I'll be able to try a number of new ones.

Quote:
OK, now I'm really stressing--too many good recipes to choose from! I just found out I have to take a healthy soup to a potluck in two weeks, so I only have to narrow down to two recipes. The rest I'll have to try here and there over the winter. I'll let you all know how it all works out! Thanks for the input everyone!