hi,,,i'm euwil gibbons, did you every eat a pine tree? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camp Cooking, Food & Recipes
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-27-2012, 06:27 AM   #1

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
hi,,,i'm euwil gibbons, did you every eat a pine tree?

lol not really but close.
theres a lot of cool foods in nature. for example. garlic mustard, an invasive speci here in michigan. makes a very nice pesto. and the roots can be used as horseradish, and the seeds,,well mustard of course.

then theres those wonderful morel mushrooms...lots of other things like that. any you search out while camping?
i assume no one passes up berries.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:33 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
John, if you need any extra garlic mustard, let me know. We have volunteers taking it out of the local state park by the TON!
Old 04-27-2012, 06:36 AM   #3

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
John, if you need any extra garlic mustard, let me know. We have volunteers taking it out of the local state park by the TON!
lol, i know, i'm part of the stewardship network doing that work in michigan. i usually pick about three garbage bags per weekend.
stewardship is a great way to give back something for all the beauty our state gives us.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:10 AM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
How about hosting a morel mushroom rally, John? I have not had them for years and years. My cousins have been posting pix of their meals on Facebook. Torture. I live in the city now.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:25 AM   #5

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
in fact,,if you would like to try it, we are having a stewardship day in algonac state park on sunday may 6th.
its a lovely park, right on the st. clair river. you can watch the freighters go by from your campsite. might be something fun to do and an excuse to go camping overnight.

i think a morel trip would be awsome,,, are they still showing up? or is it late in the year for that?
Old 04-27-2012, 04:55 PM   #6

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Around the last week of September our family would pick honey mushrooms. They grow out of dead wood (stumps, fallen limbs) in the forest, which makes them different from most mushrooms. Sautee 'em in butter, with onions, then at the end we'd add sour cream and simmer for a couple minutes. Overtop boiled potatoes, a very tasty dish.

I haven't found them in Oklahoma. Haven't had them in 20 years.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:15 PM   #7

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
Yeah, its one of my favorite things to do while camping in rural areas. Mushrooms: morels, shaggy manes, oyster mushroom, Aspen rough stems and combstooths are my favorites. Berries and fruit of all kinds. Fiddlehead ferns and stinging nettle greens first thing in the spring. But I also garden so I lack for nothing.
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:47 AM   #8

Michigan
lol still waiting for someone to ask" just how old are you, that you remember euwil gibbons? and how was the ride on that animal filled ark anyway?"

i'm not saying im old,,,,,but the dead sea was just sick when i was born.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:43 AM   #9

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
in fact,,if you would like to try it, we are having a stewardship day in algonac state park on sunday may 6th.
its a lovely park, right on the st. clair river. you can watch the freighters go by from your campsite. might be something fun to do and an excuse to go camping overnight.

i think a morel trip would be awsome,,, are they still showing up? or is it late in the year for that?
We are going 17th,18th,19th and 20th to Cadillac, long Lake camp ground, mushroom hunting.
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:56 AM   #10

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Kimble View Post
We are going 17th,18th,19th and 20th to Cadillac, long Lake camp ground, mushroom hunting.
very cool, i will be a ways from cadilac, over on the black river , by Onoway from the 19th threw the 26th guarding the sturgeon spawning. might look around a little for some shroom .